• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Deep

soundwave96

TS Member
I have started this topic because I know that Merlin own the sealife centres so I thought that The Deep would be a good thing to talk about because it is not like a normal aquarium.

For the people that don't know what The Deep is. The Deep is a big aquarium that has all different kinds of fish in different tanks from sharks to little tropical fish and there is over 3,000 fish and it is the worlds only submarium it is in east Yorkshire in Hull and it overlooks humber estuary.

The Deep is amazing because of the tunnels and how the way the buliding is put together. I have never seen something like it because of the way you can walk under the gallons of water with the sharks swimming around you and over you. The place looks small from the outside but inside it is big and it is all themed so that it looks like the sea.

I have only been once I was young but i really enjoyed it and watching the sharks go above my head and putting my hands on the glass as the sharks go past and the rays and they also had boards in front of the tanks giving you information on the fish and how they adapt to there habitat and what they eat they also have demonstions on to show you how they feed the fish and sharks.

It is a really great day out if you like fish and animals like that and you like to know the facts about them and want to see something different but if you have never been before may i suggest that you go because it is brilliant.

If you do not go by car and take the train it is about a 10 munite walk to The Deep.

If you have been before please write your reviews I would love to hear them. ;D

I live near The Deep (Beverley). I probably go around once a year and I agree, I think it's a fantastic attraction. It's easily the best aquarium I have been to in the UK and offers something quite different to the Sealife Centres which all seem to be pretty much identical.

The selection of fish they have in the main tank is pretty impressive; Sawfish, Sand Tiger Sharks, Eagle Rays ect. However, I find the most interesting exhibit is the Twilight zone where they have some unusual deep water marine life that I have never seen anywhere else.

I also think that the building is really well designed in both the way it looks and its layout. You take a lift to the top of the building then work your way down "deeper" in a spiral round the main tank. At the end of the exhibit you take the "Bubble Lift" back to the surface which gives you a unique view into the tank. Whilst the up and down nature of this may seem unnecessary it literally gives the attraction another dimension and makes it much more of an experience than your bog standard Sealife Centre.

If you visit, it's worth making your way out onto the viewing platform at the front of the building. You get to it by going through the cafe and up the stairs. It offers some great views across the Humber and of the Humber Bridge. I even saw some porpoises from it once!

I've been to The Deep lots of times, and I can honestly put my hand on my heart and say that it is the best aquarium in the UK, and beats any SEA LIFE centre. I think personally my favourite part is either the lifts or the little sea worms that look like grass.

Sitting in the cafe watching the waves from the window is also really nice!

Honestly if you've never been before I'd highly recommend it.