• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The future of winter season events

Ethan

TS Member
So as you are all aware Towers run a Christmas and February half term event. The current lineup in both events is fairly limited and mainly focused on family areas such as CBeebies and David walliams. Do you reckon Towers will ever look into reintroducing big rides like they did in February many years ago? I see it as an opportunity to draw in a wider demographic audience during the winter season. Even if 1 or 2 coasters were open this could make a huge difference to attendance during these events. Given that Towers don’t like to operate their coasters under 5c I think Christmas is very unlikely. However, February is usually a bit warmer than December and it has worked before. So do we think the coasters will ever return outside of the main season?

People forget when they visit Alton Towers in the summer, that its geographical location makes it pretty challenging to visit in the winter.

My parents live a few miles away from the park and every winter have to prepare to be completely snowed in for days at a time, which has happened to them a few times (not every year). Even my drive up to theirs last year for Fireworks Weekend was fraught with difficulty as the local roads had been hit by flooding and it was a real challenge to find just one passable route to even get to their house. The drive to the park the following day was also pretty hairy.

People are used to a bit of rain, but November storms and January blizzards make it very difficult to operate a park efficiently. On top of which, I don't really think there is the demand for year-round riding. A few weatherproof kiddie rides on a pre-Christmas family event is one thing, but anyone that's ridden Rita in heavy rain / hail / snow knows it's just not something anyone wants to be doing on a cold, damp November night.

I'd say that if the park is looking to transition to 365 operations, I'd say operating more rides is an important step towards that.

I think the next step is getting the other indoor rides such as Curse and Hex open during those winter events as these could theoretically operate during the winter.

Whether it happens is a different matter.

Reactions: Ash
To be honest, no.
People forget when they visit Alton Towers in the summer, that its geographical location makes it pretty challenging to visit in the winter.
As the quote states, Alton Towers is challenging to walk around during the winter months.

However, having an off season in my opinion is better than a year round running of the park. As during the off seasons, rides can have major overhauls and maintenance conducted on them without having to worry about guests complaining (As they rightfully are this season) about ride availability. Plus, having the off season can allow AT to work on entire sections or zones of the park and allows contract workers to bring in larger vehicles to work on higher rides (Like Mutiny Bay and the Skyride pylons) and rides like Oblivion.

Given that Towers don’t like to operate their coasters under 5c I think Christmas is very unlikely. However, February is usually a bit warmer than December and it has worked before.
It’s generally the opposite, colder in February than December. Previous half term events have had issues with snow and cold temperatures keeping rides closed. Far more likely of getting slightly more rides open in December and keeping Feb half term as the small pirates event.

Agree with previous points, given the changing climate. Christmas is often milder than half term.

If Alton want to push for a pseudo 365 opening, then they need to “box clever” and work out what attractions they can put on that don’t require the use of the technical teams.

- shows (indoor where possible)
- parades
- cinemas (normal/4d/3d)
- food and dining
- light shows
- fireworks
- character meet and greets
- tours
- events (runTowers/camping/xmas/easter)
- mazes
- utilising event space (conference centre, conference suite and towers suite on park)
- exhibits (historical/museum)

If they can stretch a 365 opening out of a theme park come stately home that was previously used as a leisure venue, then I’m afraid they aren’t trying enough.

Every organisation seems to have a great go, particularly over Xmas and Alton seem to leave money on the table but it takes effort, investment and consistency. They’ve blown that and will have to start again, it needs to be a 5 year plan as it won’t happen in one go.

Events like scarefest, fireworks take years to build a following.

People don't do the Towers for any of those things listed, they go for thrill rides.
Just opening "everything else", including conference stuff...why?
It isn't popular...the place would be open but empty without star attractions.
No winter season, because there is no market for it.
Simple.
If there was a market, it would be catered for.

It could work but like previously stated it need a committed investment, for example set a budget to run the event at a set level for 5 years and not dilute it each year.
Your not going to get people to return as day guests if each year they see a reduction of the event on offer. If they were to find a way to increase santa visits and bring back the light trail for upsells especially for pass holders.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

People don't do the Towers for any of those things listed, they go for thrill rides.
Simple.
Hyde Park Winter Wonderland is a massive success in London and I'd say that is to do with the scale along with the inclusion of rides for a variety of people.

If Alton Towers (and Chessington) opened some of their more thrilling rides in Winter in addition to the family rides they do run, I'd see more people coming to the winter events. There's a lot of people put off coming because there is only an offering for young families (compared to Paultons, Phantasia and Europa which is near full line up).

With Alton Towers cutting costs in the summer season with opening hours, I'm not sure I see them improving the Winter Event offering for the foreseeable.

Alton Towers is in the middle of nowhere with absolute zero civil infrastructure, winter public transport and no passing trade whatsoever.
Then there is Winter Wonderland.
Which is where it is because of where it is.
Isn't it?
You are never going to get such numbers of people to the towers to make the money side work in the middle of winter, ever!
And a single week of white weather would blow the project right out of the water, like a drunken pirate on speed, so there is no chance of the company taking the financial gamble.

Last edited:
Hosting a Christmas event over one or two weeks in December would be feasible. It tends to be relatively mild still. Usually, from January onwards, you will see colder weather and the white stuff. December would be a safe bet.

You could still open the majority of attractions, Have CBeebies Land/Mutiny Bay/Gloomy Wood/Katanga Canyon/X-Sector with all rides open (that gives you a mix of family and thrill rides available) along with Towers Street stage/entertainment with a lake fountain show and a light trail through the gardens.

As Owen says above, however, with the cuts we're seeing during the main season, it seems very unlikely we will see any attempts as a winter/Christmas event aimed at day guests returning any time soon.

Agree with previous points, given the changing climate. Christmas is often milder than half term.

If Alton want to push for a pseudo 365 opening, then they need to “box clever” and work out what attractions they can put on that don’t require the use of the technical teams.

- shows (indoor where possible)
- parades
- cinemas (normal/4d/3d)
- food and dining
- light shows
- fireworks
- character meet and greets
- tours
- events (runTowers/camping/xmas/easter)
- mazes
- utilising event space (conference centre, conference suite and towers suite on park)
- exhibits (historical/museum)

If they can stretch a 365 opening out of a theme park come stately home that was previously used as a leisure venue, then I’m afraid they aren’t trying enough.

Every organisation seems to have a great go, particularly over Xmas and Alton seem to leave money on the table but it takes effort, investment and consistency. They’ve blown that and will have to start again, it needs to be a 5 year plan as it won’t happen in one go.

Events like scarefest, fireworks take years to build a following.

In a way this is what they are currently doing with the Christmas event, they use the conference centre to put on a panto for hotel guests. They make the park look more interesting with lighting. They have special CBeebies characters out. Just currently they keep it as hotel guests only because it guarantees higher income, from fewer guests enjoying a better experience because there aren't as many queues.

I think they put a stop on big Christmas events due to the issues with getting ride maintenance done over the closed season. I think if they can stabilise the maintenance then they might start expanding the Christmas offer.

Feb half term I don’t think is viable. The weather is too unpredictable in February.

Simple.

It’s already been said, annual maintenance needs to be done. If not winter then when?

Mid season? March?

As others have said hundreds of other attractions do well over Christmas. Even Merlin attractions. There’s money there to be had but it takes time and effort.

At best I think it would be good to open CBeebies, Hex, TWWODW and all being well a family thrill coaster in PH when it’s open. Move the stage to fountain square and have those two areas as up charge. Job done.

Completely agree with the comments saying it wouldn’t be a good idea. With the general negativity around this seasons offering, an additional stretch on the resources would seem like the worst possible thing. I also think any financial benefits would be negligible given they’d then incur a load of operating costs, and a lot of the guests would probably just be pass holders wanting their fix anyway.

Personally I’m happy to wait from October until March to get my towers fix, and it actually allows for some excitement and anticipation to build up.

If towers was truely a “resort” then all year opening may be attractive, but as we have seen the past few years, with TreeTop quest closed, the Spa closed, reduced opening hours of the waterpark, half of mini golf in a state, reduced opening of the hotel bar areas etc. there is very little to entice people to the “resort” apart from the theme park.

And I don’t think the general public would be that keen on visiting just the theme park in the winter with the cold wet days and nothing much else to do.

I think they need to focus on two key areas in the winter :

1. Continue with the Santa sleepovers but make them even better. Reindeer rides around the lawns anyone? Ice skating rink? Snow dome? Make it extra special

2. Bring back the NYE events. These were hugely popular. Get high quality entertainment in Alton hotel. Open up the waterpark in the evening with some steel drums again and have a Caribbean party. Bumper cars outside the hotel open into the evening.

And make these events for hotel guests only. They used to do some of these sort of things in the past which were expensive yes, but hugely popular and well done. I’m sure if they focused on the quality of the product it would be a huge success.

Reactions: Ash
Hyde Park Winter Wonderland is a massive success in London and I'd say that is to do with the scale along with the inclusion of rides for a variety of people.
One of the reasons that Winter Wonderland is a massive success is because it’s held in a large park right in the centre of London. It’s very easy for people to get to via public transport, and the event lends itself well to guests just popping over for a couple of hours after work for example.

Alton Towers really doesn’t have those things going for it. Another aspect of Winter Wonderland is that it gives you the chance to go on many rides that aren’t available to ride here throughout the rest of the year. Contrast that with the Merlin parks that would just offer the same ride hardware that could be ridden throughout the rest of the season. Obviously winter events do work at some of the European parks who do them so well but I’m not sure if Alton Towers is the best venue for one as things stand. Even though it has some of the trappings of one it doesn’t really feel like a resort.

Last edited: