• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Hotels: A Journey

I don’t know how recent this is, but looking at the entertainment schedule in the hotels for Sunday night (and also being told it was the same on Saturday night), ATH seems to have had its entertainment cut right back, with only a saxophonist playing in there, with the rest of the ents being in Splash as normal.

No idea if this is just a shortage of signers/staff or a new idea for entertainment.

Hopefully it’s deliberate. The resort needs the family entertainment but it also needs somewhere where adults can have a drink without the screeching of the singers and kids going crazy.

Having family entertainment in Splash Landings and keeping ATH a bit more civilised seems sensible.

Agree with Dave on this. Entertainment in ATH hasn’t been great and there is a definite need for some adults only areas. I said a while back a piano bar or similar would be a good idea so having a sax playing night divert all the chaos over to splash…… though I don’t think Splash could handle the extra influx of kids and parents in the bar area.

A quick reminder regarding referring to creator’s videos or websites. I’ve removed a number of posts in recent days that have referenced content creator’s videos. In some cases the video hasn’t even been released yet(!!!), in another it referenced that a video had been uploaded but gave no link, no summary and nothing about what’s interesting within said video.

This post in Guest Services and our updated member expectations summarises what we expect if you’re linking to another website or video. In short:
  • It should add something new to discussion and be on topic
  • You should summarise what you found interesting within what you’re linking to
  • And finally it should accompany your own views and opinions on the subject
There’s a longer explanation in the Guest Services post which I’ve linked to. The team will remove posts which don’t abide by this and we will start to take action against those who repeatedly ignore this rule.

Newly uploaded video here showing there is still a way to go if Towers are genuinely interested in improving standards in the hotels.

One night in a Moon Voyager room followed by another night in Splash and the room cleanliness was seemingly very inconsistent, with the ATH room having dirty carpet, dust around the headboard, filthy bed etc. Splash on the other hand seemed ok.

Consistency and higher acceptable cleanliness standards doesn’t seem too much to ask.

IMG_5193.jpeg

IMG_5194.png
IMG_5195.png

From: https://youtube.com/watch?v=m7oQBRFpl8c&feature=sharea

As for the video that is finally out, I can’t imagine this is the sort of exposure AT really want but they need to get their act together soon, I was willing to give the new director a bit of time to find their feet but they have had long enough now.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was better than I expected to be honest. Then again they didn’t eat in the secret garden, or stay in one of the standard rooms in ATH. Enjoyable video to watch though.

Newly uploaded video here showing there is still a way to go if Towers are genuinely interested in improving standards in the hotels.

One night in a Moon Voyager room followed by another night in Splash and the room cleanliness was seemingly very inconsistent, with the ATH room having dirty carpet, dust around the headboard, filthy bed etc. Splash on the other hand seemed ok.

Consistency and higher acceptable cleanliness standards doesn’t seem too much to ask.

IMG_5193.jpeg

IMG_5194.png
IMG_5195.png

From: https://youtube.com/watch?v=m7oQBRFpl8c&feature=sharea

As someone who has never stayed in the hotels, you could have told me those photos were from Pontins and I would have believed you...

Just watched the video. As a regular viewer of his. I think he is always fair in his reviews. Least goes into every room with a clean slate. Even with the research he does on trip advisor.

I only stayed at ATH once on 2010. Just to say I did it. Wasn't surprised by the value for money. A day out at AT is not easy on wallet. As for the state. Clearly it's been decorated since I was last in. I was surprised by the state of his room. No suprise if a manager has watch said video then promptly bollocked the cleaner in question. I have splash as well. I think he assesment was fair.

Speaking as a adult with no children and rapidly reaching 40. I won't be doing the hotels anytime soon. Chained oak for me if possible. Both times I've stopped I've just felt uneased by the brats and the entertainment. Give us a small weatherspoons like bar. Away from the noise. Would make a killing I reckon.

I did the hotel once back in 2010 and splash landings in 2018. I was like Tim on the video. Was surprised at how well it was doing, despite all the foot fall. Wasn't surprised by the state of the room at ATH.

Last edited:
The ATH cleanliness is pretty atrocious there. Considering how bad the entertainment and food quality/options are, the review felt generous.

The ATH cleanliness is pretty atrocious there. Considering how bad the entertainment and food quality/options are, the review felt generous.

It's his style. I've only seen him rip a place to shreds once. He has been known to complain and get moved to another room. Then praise the service.

I watched it to see what a non theme park enthusiasts take on the hotels were, and also thought he was pretty positive about both hotels overall. Clearly cleanliness issues in the room at ATH but he seemed very impressed by Splash Landing; the room and the hotel itself.

I suppose what it does show is how well themed both hotels actually are, and we probably do sometimes take that for granted.

Didn’t really check how dirty the bunk beds were though come to think of it. Or take the sheets off the mattresses to see what state they were in.

It’s the fridge for me, why is it not in the cupboard? Why is it not plugged in? If it smells that bad, and it’s not working why has it not been removed from the room?

The rooms are quirky and fun, but it’s just feels like staff are rushing, which goes back to the issue of recruiting and retention of staff.

I think both hotels get by on the quality of their original design and the quirky and unique aspects of each. I think that shows in the video - there’s an obvious wonder at those design features which distracts from the other shortcomings.

The more you visit and come to take those aspects for granted, the more you focus on the worse elements. I suspect that’s where most of us now find ourselves.

Major factors are likely in play here by my reckoning.

1, sheer shortage of staff.
2, poorly trained staff,
3, poor cleaning equipment. Tim mentioned seeing a Henry hoover. How crap they can be if not maintained.
Aren't all three down to bad management???
They charge loads for rooms...so organise recruitment better, sort out staff transport, train the staff better, give them quality, maintained equipment.
Easy as a,b,c when you charge well over the odds.
If Travelodge can repeatedly do it for half the price...