• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Planet Coaster Landscape Challenge

Ian

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Dizz, Bobby’s Yarn Land 🧶
Planet Coaster allows you ample creativity to build what you want, where you want. However, one thing we do know is that in the real world, location is often influenced by many factors and is not something you can always control. Things like the lay of the land, water bodies and woodlands dictate how many parks are crafted.

With that in mind I thought it might be interesting to see how people handle building in a more realistic manner. Those of you who have played campaign mode will be familiar with the fact that some levels block you from using terrain tools and the challenges this can bring.

The premise of this thread is simple.
  • Take an existing plot from within this thread
  • Create a park in it while respecting the landscape

Given this is our first time trying something like this I’ve selected this pre-defined landscape from the Steam Workshop, but if there’s enough interest and this is something people would like to try again in the future there’s no reason people can’t submit plots of their own creation for other people to build on (I’ll be the first to admit that landscaping isn’t my strong suit, hence the cop out using a Workshop park).

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=802625592

The park can be whatever you want, there is no requirement on style, themes, attraction types, etc. However, for an added twist of realism there are some parameters:
  1. There can be no massive excavations beyond what you would deem ‘realistic’. I appreciate that perception may differ here, so to give a bit of an example we are considering the likes of Nemesis at Alton Towers an extreme piece of excavation. It may be that you can go to this extent on a single attraction, but the general topology of the park should be preserved wherever possible. Alterations such as smoothing for pathways or flattening an area for a flat ride or building foundation are allowed, so long as you aren’t completely levelling a whole hill or similar.

2. The waterways in the park should be kept unchanged. That means no in-filling rivers. You may, however, choose to add pools in for attractions, if you feel you can’t make use of pre-existing ones. Again though, consider the size and depth. Making lakes in real life isn’t cheap!

3. As with the excavations, it is also asked that deforestation be kept to a minimum. It may be necessary to remove trees for new attractions of course, but again please try to avoid removing vast swathes of them. You may choose to relocate or replant trees that you do remove to try to preserve the overall look.

4. You can build anywhere you want. There are no limits in this regard. So long as you are within the park boundaries it’s all in your control.

If anyone is interested in participating all you need to do is post in this thread. You can show a fully developed park in one or two posts, choose to post progressive updates or even just spotlight a couple of attractions. It’s entirely up to you!

Note that this is not a competition and there's no real deadline. If anything, in the future it may be that there's a few different terrains in here that you can choose as a starting point, and I'll keep this first post up to date with a list to select from.

Interested in seeing what everyone comes up with! Any initial questions please ask below.

I'll definitely be up for this - work is extremely busy at the moment so it'll be a while before I'm able to submit anything :)

I'd give it a go but it would take me months to come up with anything half-presentable! Also I tend to bankrupt myself pretty early on by building something stupidly overambitious!

It’s worth noting the layout for this one is a sandbox, so there’s no in-game money limits. Again, all I’m suggesting is try and aim for some form of realism in terms of what you could create (E.G. few parks can afford to construct a giant mountain for a ride!) :)

Going to give this a go today as @Ian has convinced me in discord to have a go. Beware it won't be very good but I'll give it a go nevertheless.

I'm giving this a go even though I'm not very good.
Have just posted an update about my planet coaster skills which includes a sneak peak at what my park will look like even if @Poisson has seen it all already.
The terrain park I forgot to update this thread update
So I think it's time this thread gets a little bit of an update:
I'm currently working on a park for @Ian 's terrain park challenge and so when that is completed there will be a detailed post in that thread about exactly what I've constructed however I wanted to give an update of the sort of progress I have made with some of the particular rides and feature's I've used throughout this park.

I've got much better at the banking tool. I've mentioned before that I was struggling with this and I do still find it quite tricky. However I do think I've made a decent improvement. Here are a few pictures of some of the banking I've managed on a few coasters including a mine train and a Woodie that will be featured in my terrain park:

This is one of the banking elements I'm most proud of. The transitions in and out of the banking are really quite good in my opinion. It's not perfect but It's a big improvement.
Here are a few picture of some of my good banking attempts on my mine train:

One of the corners on my mine train however isn't good. The issue I have with it as pointed out by @Poisson was that it's too sharp. Especially just after a drop from the lift hill. The banking does compensate for this somewhat however I'm not entirely happy with this. I've tweaked it as much as I can and it is improved however it's still not very good:

free image host
imgBB insisted it put its little advert thing in so apologies about that.

I'm also learning a lot about layouts and am particularly pleased with my wooden coaster layout for this park. It does has a section where it appears that the catwalks of two pieces of track appear to crossover like this and I'm not really sure how to fix it:

Here are a few shots from the ride-cam of the woodie that I'm particularly pleased with:

Here are two overhead shots of the woodie so you can get an idea of the layout:

Now in this park I also attempted a dive coaster which didn't go so well. The main issue I had was that I ended up getting a tunnel and drop in without the correct speed to make it through the next part of the layout. I then decided to attempt to make the lift and drop a little higher. This turned out to be more difficult than expected and basically I ended up with a dive coaster with no holding break. It might get deleted I'm not exactly sure yet but here is a few pictures of it at current:

As you can see from the last picture I also did not do very well with the banking on the dive coaster.

I've attempted not to show too much of the park in this post as I want the majority of that to be revealed and explained in Ian's thread however some people have already seen decent chunks of the park. My next update will be based on my completed park post in Ian's thread which will likely not be for a while. Any feedback on what has been shown in this thread would be much appreciated. Cheers and thanks for taking the time to look through what is quite a long post.
I don't know when my park will be done but it will definitely be a while yet.

Been building for about a month now and it's slowly all coming together!

C4FeeXJ.png

sRSmERK.png

koQ1f9u.png

uPFnNHD.png

W3FScd4.png

Currently working on a spooky area, which has a massive invert and the slow beginnings of a haunted house - not quite ready to show off yet.

Been building for about a month now and it's slowly all coming together!

C4FeeXJ.png

sRSmERK.png

koQ1f9u.png

uPFnNHD.png

W3FScd4.png

Currently working on a spooky area, which has a massive invert and the slow beginnings of a haunted house - not quite ready to show off yet.
Wow, looks great so far.
Very different to my park which is great, It's interesting to see just what can be done with the terrain.