• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The return of the Haunted House.

ImUrNemeis

TS Member
Apologies if this has already been covered before, (which I imagine it has.) but does anybody think that AT/Merlin will restore the original Haunted House. With a lot of the old props and theming still in place, this wouldn't require too much work and money and could easily make a good short/medium budget attraction. Also, they are some good cases for it to return.

• Duel, which has been mentioned on other topics, has become more of a warehouse, than a haunted house. You can see light coming through off the emergency exit, in the station. This really makes me cross as it destroys the experience completely for me. There is also the general warehouse roof and girders, which are visible when not using your blaster. Mind you, we all know Merlin love their warehouses and sheds.
  • Half the effects on Duel are not working most of the time and need some attention. When I last went on Duel, the spinning tunnel wasn’t spinning
  • General opinion is that the HH was much preferred to Duel. Not just enthusiasts but the general pubic

Interestingly, the park have placed back up some of the old effects and props that were removed when Duel came. Such as the hand in the jar, self-turning book and the “Are you afraid of spiders?” sound effect. Could this be a sign? Duel live, when it came to scarefest was a pretty popular attraction then.
These are all just ideas at the moment, but I really would like to see it make a comeback. What do you guys think?

I think all of us would love this to happen. Unfortunately, I can't see Merlin spending the money, due to their attitude of "everything must have a USP and be easily marketable." Saying "we have "un-rethemed a ride" is unlikely to bring in new customers. :'(

It would be nice to see it happen but will never happen which is a shame because it was amazing

I would prefer HH to come back but a few points:

1) the ability to see the warehouse was exactly the same when it was HH with one exception which is just after the trommel, previously that was a pitch black area but now isn't. Though to be fair they have improved the lighting in the area. You could always see the warehouse ceiling (similar to popular Disney dark rides)

2) this season duels effects have worked well, only thing that has struggled is the trommel.

Though I would like to less Duel and more HH

As much as people loved the haunted house and how it is so much better than Duel. I think if Alton/Merlin did anything to the ride I would rather have a complete re-theme. Maybe not a haunted house? Or a completely new different haunted house. Rather than going back in time to bring old props and effects back.

What'd be the point? It may be better than Duel, but by today's standards, it just wouldn't cut it as a new dark ride. The world has moved on. Yes, we're all sad that Thunderlooper was removed, but would we be thrilled to see it back as a new coaster addition? Clearly not.

AT won't ever bring back the HH as it was, that should be obvious to everyone. I can see them possibly re-working Duel as a modern high-tech spooky-themed dark ride, but apart from that, no.

I think Duel works well for kids. It does, however, lack seriously in special effects and the ones they have barely work. They need to revamp it real soon. I mean come on, Duel is now 10 years old!

Nice idea but Duel basically is still the Haunted House. I love hearing stories of how brilliant and theatrical the original ride was, but in actuality it probably was much like the ride is now. Of course the laser guns are ridiculous and the surviving Haunted House characters not nearly is memorable as they used to be (thanks to changed lighting, stock audio and repaints); but I'm sure most of Duel's clunkiness, datedness and limitations are inherited from the 1992 Haunted House.

Is this a bad thing? No, I don't see it that way. I still think The Haunted House doesn't necessitate an immersive, high-budgeted special effects experience; instead its charm comes from the colourful wit and charisma. That's why I really don't care if I can see the steel roof or if the ghosts look fake. The ride is dated and long may it continue to be, although I would love them to utilise today's technology to achieve some of the effects they were unable to complete the first time round.

So, if not a literal restoration scene-by-scene, I would absolutely love for Alton Towers to restore the character of the Haunted House and make it special again. Even just bringing back all the original SFX, lighting, music and redressing the sets would be fantastic.