• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

It would be great to see all of the effects fully restored.

Regarding stalling, the ride stalled countless times during its early days. It seems the ride has been able to 'bed in' more, which has reduced the risk, although they are more cautious with high winds for obvious reasons. While train stalling was a primary factor in the 2015 incident, the staff's failure to notice this stall and proceed to send another train round was more of a concerning issue.

I'm not an engineer, but the ride had huge issues with groundwork throughout the construction, so I wonder whether that's a factor with the bodged track, too. I know it gets slammed a lot, but I really admire the thought behind designing such a large amount of track in a small space. Had it not been for the accident, it would probably be admired as a feat of engineering.
Can't really forget this can we? I am also unsure if having to grind the track down is normal when assembling a coaster? Probably not as removing material from the track is probably not ideal.

I believe in the crash report it was also reported that the gaps in the track were larger than normal but didn't contribute towards it.

Attachments

• Smiler-Track-gap.jpg
    Smiler-Track-gap.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Smiler_TG_Rob.jpg
    Smiler_TG_Rob.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 43
I know we're all sick of Smiler's shit at this point but (imo) it's easily the second best extant coaster in the UK and we'll be much worse off when it inevitably tears itself down, which, judging by what it did to my neck the other week, could happen any day now
It’s such an intensely frustrating ride. Inventive theming concept, poorly executed. Wild, intense layout that always rides awkwardly and sometimes rides like a shopping trolley. So close to being something special but misses the mark quite spectacularly.

My partner had his first ride on it on opening day just gone.

His review on the brake run "oh, ok...interesting". This is a man who usually has a lot to say.

After a little prodding for more info, he said he didn't enjoy it as such, but strangely felt proud that he'd endured it. He wasn't uncomfortable with the inversions, or the roughness, but together, coupled with his detestation of the queueline experience, made it all just a bit too much.