The Smiler - General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott, 11th Jun 2013.

1. Sazzle

Sazzle TS Administrator Team Member

Take off the tin foil hat Diogo, its just that no one really knows what's going on ;).

The park will never officially release a statement with the intricacies, so we are simply having to use knock out factors to ascertain the most likely scenario.

*Personal observation*:

I did, however, notice that the statement doesn't specifically say no one was injured? Maybe I've got my own tin foil hat on?! :/

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

2. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    We know that Merlin parks do everything they can to limit the spread of information about "incidents". There's nothing paranoid about pointing that out.

3. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

Apparently we're waiting on Gerstlauer to give the all clear on it to reopen...

Unfortunately, they're a tad preoccupied in Texas, where a person flying out is given higher priority than a singular bolt where I would hope such a factor of safety would be applied to mean one bolt wouldn't cause instant failure...

So unsurprisingly if it's ready to go, all that was needed was a new bolt fitted, few checks done and that's it... A fair difference to down for weeks then...

4. Oatcakedodger

Oatcakedodger TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Swarm
    my point exactly :twirly:

5. Harv

Harv TowersStreet Member

No pictures of The Smiler until further notice! ;)

6. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    Re: the boy getting injured

Is it possible Lisa what your partner overheard was a different incident? It's just that none of the other reports have mentioned someone being hurt, in fact the more sensationalist ones seem to highlight how close a miss it was (therefore implying it didn't hit anyone).

But at the same time I don't doubt that your partner overheard something... I'm just not sure if it was that incident related or a more common place incident that sounded similar?

ps. thanks for the pictures, very good quality :)

7. Croftybaby

Croftybaby TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Just catching up on this.

It's very worrying that this may have only been brought to the attention of the ops because of a member of the public. Twice I have been in a position in Towers where I have had to personally hand back parts to the operators that have just dropped next to me.
    Whilst these could all have caused serious injury I wonder what might happen if there wasn't a member of the public there to inform the operators? The ride would just continue to run, potentially causing a much bigger problem?

If there are nets installed over the queue, will these be checked regularly for loose bits of coaster amongst the sunglasses and packets of chewits?

8. Alastair

Alastair TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    I very much doubt Gerstlauer have sent out their entire employed staff to Texas. :/

9. Grimshawpaul

Grimshawpaul TowersStreet Member

G

10. lisadj

lisadj TowersStreet Member

I have talked to my partner about it and he said that it could be that the woman in Guest Services was exaggerating to get more out of the park. It's taking someone's word for it I suppose, unless the person does come forward or go to the press there is no proof.

11. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

I doubt all of their staff have the ability to sign a ride off...

Passing on what I've heard, that simple really... It does make sense considering how quickly it's taken other examples of this kind of incident to get going again...

12. TheMan

TheMan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    NemiLerVion
    Any updates at all? Where are the moles & spies?!

13. lisadj

I've read a bit more info from a user on a different forum. Do you want me to post it or post a link to the forum? They are still working on it but looking at the track now.

14. singhters

singhters TowersStreet Member

No way will they spend £18million and then tear it down over a bolt, they will investigate and just use uprated bolts perhaps.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thorpe Park do that better than anyone. Detonator anybody? :p

16. JAMMYD778

JAMMYD778 TowersStreet Member

Looking at tweets with #altontowers on twitter, it appears The Smiler will be opening today. A queue has been allowed to build and The Marmaliser effects are switched on. Maybe it was a simple fix after all.

17. T

T TowersStreet Member

The Smiler has *just* reopened.

18. lisadj

I notice that the hashtag I added on facebook on Sunday is now working again. It was de-linked from Sunday until today.

19. T

T TowersStreet Member

How do you mean? Hashtags can't be disabled for specific things, as it's a phrase that anyone can use! In what way do you mean 'de-linked'?

On topic, with The Smiler now being open once more, are we to assume that this has been resolved in-house, with no need for the manufacturer to come over?

20. Poisson

Poisson TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Giant Squid
    New bolt from whoever supplies Gerst and then test, test, test and get it signed off by HSE I presume?