• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The "Technical" side of roller coasters

Skyscraper

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
I'm sure a few of you are , like me, interest in the technical side of roller coasters, as well as riding them, soo this topic is to discuss anything to do with the technical side of roller coasters.
for starters, i saw this video on You Tube of the California Screaming having a break down, and the re-start fails dramatically.... (skip to 2:20)

discuss!

So even the sue-happy Americans don't make guests get in a harness to evac down a set of stairs? What the hell is wrong with this country‽

Last edited:
So even the Sue-happy Americans don't make guests get in a harness to evac down a set of stairs? What the hell is wrong with this country‽
Disney does a few things like that - I think it's in part due to the volume of people they deal with. They seem to take a more pragmatic view to risk taking, I might suggest.

Look how many rides where you are encouraged, or sometimes forced to take your bags on - whereas at other parks, you are forbidden to do so.

Disney does a few things like that - I think it's in part due to the volume of people they deal with. They seem to take a more pragmatic view to risk taking, I might suggest.

Look how many rides where you are encouraged, or sometimes forced to take your bags on - whereas at other parks, you are forbidden to do so.
yeah, for example; if a coaster's got 30-seater trains, it would take too long to get everyone harnessed up, not to mention that the gantries are usually very thin.

Also all the coaster exit platforms at Disney World don't have a locking gate, it's a yellow line with a staff member at both ends with one of their hands on the station stop button ready to press if a guest crosses it

Not sure if this is the right place but I've always been interested in restraints, I'm guessing there must be a system to prevent unlocking during rides or is it much more complicated than that? If anyone knows anything please say as it has intrested me for a while!

On the clicky type it's simple, it's a ratchet which can only be unlocked in the station or by a tool (in case of an evacuation) if you look in the multimedia thread (go back to August 2014) I posted a video from YouTube about how B&Ms clicky types work.

On the clicky type it's simple, it's a ratchet which can only be unlocked in the station or by a tool (in case of an evacuation) if you look in the multimedia thread (go back to August 2014) I posted a video from YouTube about how B&Ms clicky types work.
Thank you I will go and find it now :)

link?

Rollercoasters are incredible in how they utilize the laws of physics. Think of all the kinematics, and architecture behind it. And then there's also a bit of psychology in how you want people to feel. They really are one of the best developments of modern human history in how they allow us to experience escapism and thrill without the real life danger (most of the time at least :p , unless something goes horribly wrong)

Or you can be KumbaK, who ignore physics, ergonomics, physiology, architecture and common sense and bodge bits of rubbish together and pray