• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Theatre Building

What would you like to see happen to the theatre building?

• 4D Cinema

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Live Show

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Flying Theatre

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Demolished For Future Development

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • Other (Please State)

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

WallisDan

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
What would you like to see happen to the theatre Building?
What do you think will happen to it?
When will it reopen?

Last edited:
That building is no where near big enough for a flying theatre! I doubt Towers would want to do that anyway because it wouldn't be a world's, or Europe's, first.

Realistically they would probably keep it as a 4D cinema.

A live show would be an ideal replacement because there is barely anything of that offering on park... but it would have to be really good and worthy, which the park won't be given the budget to do. The building is probably quite dated for anything too spectacular too. If it were demolished however, you'd be able to see straight into a large amount of backstage area, so it's not the ideal site for a flat or a small coaster.

I say redesign the space as a really good & fresh children's grotto walkthrough type attraction. But with the bigger Charlie round the corner also needing a big themed replacement project, we probably won't see something like this happen.

This may seem a bit silly but I think the 4D cinema could be relocated to where Spinball Whizzer is. It could be a 4D based off the park itself, similar to the 4D cinema at Blackpool or a Cbeebies based 4D show for an expansion to Cbeebies Land.

For the site itself, I could see the space where Charlie and the 4D Cinema is currently now for a new large scale water ride and a dark ride.

I would like to see a live show at the park but not in that building. When this area gets eventually re-themed I'd like the large amount of land at the back of these buildings to be used for a new ride such as a water ride or coaster.
On the flying theatre idea I think a flying theatre would be a great idea at a Merlin park. I'm not sure there's any point in building one unless it could have some kind of very unique idea for a video.

Wouldn't appeal to me, but how about a small Madam Tussauds. It's their own IP, all they need to do is hire Removal Reg and his white van from the Stoke Sentinal to swap a dozen pre existing dummies from Blackpool and London every six months, and Bobs your uncle... a new attraction. I hear Poundland sell lots of papier mache party stuff in the run up to Halloween. They could theme the whole theatre for a couple of hundred quid.

Seriously, though, they did a good job with Sharbait reef and a small MT could wet the appetite and generate up sell to the bigger ones.

Personally, I would love the return of an upgraded Alton Theatre and Fantastic Fountains.

Last edited:
Wouldn't appeal to me, but how about a small Madam Tussauds.... . They could theme the whole theatre for a couple of hundred quid.

Whilst it may not look like much more than a row of mannequins with dodgy wigs, those things cost a small fortune to make. Relocating some still means back filling at the donor site.

"The figures take four months to make and typically cost £150,000."
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2011/feb/26/madame-tussauds-why-so-popular (2011)

I am surprised that the theatre doesn't seem to be listed, there can't be many private theatres from the mid 1700s left out there. I suspect any plan involving demolition would soon change that position.

That building seems unlikely to have changes made to it that would alter its remaining original features; so it is likely limited to things like a theatre, restaurant,,meet and greets etc.

Whilst it may not look like much more than a row of mannequins with dodgy wigs, those things cost a small fortune to make. Relocating some still means back filling at the donor site.

"The figures take four months to make and typically cost £150,000."
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2011/feb/26/madame-tussauds-why-so-popular (2011)
That's unbelievable...£150000?

Chuckle Brothers and Keith Chegwin it is then... actually, no, just hire the real ones... it would be cheaper!

I am surprised that the theatre doesn't seem to be listed, there can't be many private theatres from the mid 1700s left out there. I suspect any plan involving demolition would soon change that position.

That building seems unlikely to have changes made to it that would alter its remaining original features; so it is likely limited to things like a theatre, restaurant,,meet and greets etc.
The theatre opened in the 80s with the rest of Talbot Street :p Behind the facade it's literally a big shed from a 1970s funhouse, the current facade is from about '93 but has been painted over many times.

I hear Poundland sell lots of papier mache party stuff in the run up to Halloween. They could theme the whole theatre for a couple of hundred quid.
Paper mache anything would surely be banned for terrible fire retardency (and would be awful), and unfortunately a couple hundred quid is worth absolutely nothing as a budget these days. There's a lot more to theming than bish bash bosh!

Last edited:
There's a lot more to theming than bish bash bosh!
Insert Merlin joke :)

I'm no massive fan of cinema based attractions, but I do think that the park could do with a couple more indoor attractions with the closure of Charlie, Sub Terra and Ice Age. I picked 4D Theatre because it's an easy win for the park in terms of the infrastructure that's already there. Angry Birds 4D was a welcome break when we were at Thorpe a couple of weeks ago.

I'm a little on the fence with Flying Theatres, some are better than others.

Last edited:
Relocating some still means back filling at the donor site.

Just needs a little Merlin magic at the Donor Site ( with the help of Leek Signs).

"A million apologies... some of our dummies are taking a holiday to make way for an exciting future development!"

Hey, it works for Ripsaw and Submission on twitter.

Last edited: