• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

If the topic is ever looked at (which it may well be one day), the question will be whether amusement rides as a whole are a good use of energy, rather than is coaster layout A more or less efficient than layout B.
Hopefully before that day comes, parks have moved to renewable energy to power themselves so their energy usage isn’t so much of a problem. Some are beginning this process already!

I do agree, though; the energy efficiency of different ride layouts isn’t likely to differ that much on the overall scale of energy usage. Certain ride types might differ, but I shouldn’t think that different layouts of the same ride type would differ an awful lot in the grand scheme of things.

Surely it’s the mechanical components (e.g. lift hills) that use the most electricity on a roller coaster, and that usage will be the same regardless of how long or short the ride is? Admittedly, the energy efficiency will be a bit higher on a longer ride, but will that really make a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things?

Last edited:
Indeed, we will have made incredibly healthy progress with environmental issues when coasters are high on the agenda!

Incidentally, I do maintain that this is looking criminally short. But then, I recently rode Kondaa, which slams into the final brakes with fairly extreme speed, Come to think of it, so do many RMCs, so I don't think it's necessarily wise to use this measure to predict the quality of a coaster.

I think we're looking for an environmental angle that doesn't exist here.
I agree, but my original point is that given we're in an energy crisis and an environmental crisis, perhaps there should be.

It doesn't look great if Merlin are building attractions that are needlessly wasting energy. And preferably, they should be looking to reduce their environmental impact before they receive any external scrutiny, which almost certainly will occur at some point.

I agree, but my original point is that given we're in an energy crisis and an environmental crisis, perhaps there should be.
I don't even understand the point ... If a ride comes screaming into the brakes that's a waste of energy ?

I.e. we might get to a point where parks should only construct a big ride if they have enough money to build it long enough to use the potential energy in the train ?

It's a very odd point indeed. It's just a waste not to use the potential energy but not something their finances are going to look at. Rumba Rapids probably costs a bomb and that's awful

Last edited:
I do think cause of there no non merlin park near enough to London as long as they keep adding new attractions then the guests will continue going. Where most of you feel this coaster is boring and short the marketing team will market it as the tallest coaster in the uk and people will want to ride it.
I not been to Thorpe since 2011 but now my daughter is tall enough we plan to go next year and do Chessington as well but I feel like I not missed much in the past 10 years.

As I mentioned in the Duel thread about The Invitation potentially being linked to its retheme, I also have a feeling that The Terminal could be linked to Project Exodus, as PE was rumoured to have a space theme. Maybe Darkfield wasn't just a random choice for this year's events after all?

I've now ridden Shambhala, Zadra, Hyperion and Silver Star. The more hyper coasters I ride, the less excited I am about Exodus.

Thorpe could had built something fantastic. Silver Star is easily the worse hyper I've done but it's not a bad coaster.

This was Thorpe's opportunity to build a World Class rollercoaster and they've managed to miss the mark spectacularly.

Project Exodus has a very special layout. The elements on it look unique and have sent a lot of American enthusiasts into a collective org*sm. They themselves have said that they wouldn't have wanted to travel all the way down to the UK if it turned out to be just another B&M hyper. Longer doesn't necessarily translate to a better ride.

I can't quite work out how riding more coasters that are different to one that is being built can make you less excited for the different one that is yet to be built!?

If you rode a similar coaster to the one that has not been built and didn't like it at all, then I could understand the logic. I rode and really enjoyed Untamed the other week; I'd love Thorpe to get an RMC but having ridden it has not had an impact on any excitement level I may or may not have for Project Exodus.

I don't get everyone who's moaning about Exodus not being a B&M hyper, everyone was speculating Thorpe's next coaster would be an RMC or B&M Hyper and Mack have managed to roll both ideas into an idea that's arguably more exciting than either idea...

Maybe it's the fact some enthusiasts just see B&M/RMC as the definitive best no matter what, but honestly in my opinion, who cares about who builds the ride as long as it's reliable and most importantly... enjoyable?