• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park Stay 23/09

BooMT

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Sucker for a B&M!
I've booked my first ever overnight stay at Thorpe Park for Oktoberfest in a few weekends time... despite attending the park for over 20 years, each time, my trips have been some kind of mad rush there and back so tend to hop from main attraction to main attraction... and I've never been to Oktoberfest! Are there any 'Not to be missed' tips? Or tips on how to spend a more relaxed visit/stay?

Also, I'm absolutely petrified of most dark rides, any scare mazes or attractions with jumpscares... for this reason, I never rode Ghost Train (Derren Brown) however, I'm extremely interested in these kinds of rides in a safely distanced online capacity 🤣😂 How scary is the new iteration of Ghost Train? I can just about cope with the theme of ToT at Disneyland, Haunted Mansion and London Dungeons - I would NOT do Walking Dead even if you paid me and I used to close my eyes on SAW until I got to the lift section 🤣 Is Ghost Train worse? My fear is soooo stupid because I have actually been a scare actor in the past 🙄🤣

Weak I know 😂

I’ve done ghost train a few times now and it’s very dependent on the actors you get as to how intense it is.

It also relies heavily on sudden darkness and the actors appearing and screaming in your face for what can feel like an eternity - so if you know you don’t like that sort of thing I’d suggest you avoid it

My daughter (12) hates it and won’t go near it now. I went on it yesterday with a bunch who do scarefest etc and they were incredibly underwhelmed by it. One thing I think is in its favour is that they seem to be constantly tweaking it - no 2 rides have been the exactly same.

I've booked my first ever overnight stay at Thorpe Park for Oktoberfest in a few weekends time... despite attending the park for over 20 years, each time, my trips have been some kind of mad rush there and back so tend to hop from main attraction to main attraction... and I've never been to Oktoberfest! Are there any 'Not to be missed' tips? Or tips on how to spend a more relaxed visit/stay?

Also, I'm absolutely petrified of most dark rides, any scare mazes or attractions with jumpscares... for this reason, I never rode Ghost Train (Derren Brown) however, I'm extremely interested in these kinds of rides in a safely distanced online capacity 🤣😂 How scary is the new iteration of Ghost Train? I can just about cope with the theme of ToT at Disneyland, Haunted Mansion and London Dungeons - I would NOT do Walking Dead even if you paid me and I used to close my eyes on SAW until I got to the lift section 🤣 Is Ghost Train worse? My fear is soooo stupid because I have actually been a scare actor in the past 🙄🤣

Weak I know 😂
Can't speak for Ghost Train as I haven't done the new version yet, but TWD: TR really isn't that bad. If there are actors they're only at the very end, in the exit corridor, and you can just run past them quickly. Music and sound effects in the indoor corridor between the preshow and load station are very loud, though, which can make it more difficult. The ride itself isn't bad, just a good family coaster. Can completely understand why you won't give it a go, but If you can muster up a little bit of courage I'd recommend trying it. And if you want to brave Ghost Train I'd recommend trying TWD first as a warm-up, as the latter is definitely not as scary or intense as the former.

Can't speak for Ghost Train as I haven't done the new version yet, but TWD: TR really isn't that bad. If there are actors they're only at the very end, in the exit corridor, and you can just run past them quickly. Music and sound effects in the indoor corridor between the preshow and load station are very loud, though, which can make it more difficult. The ride itself isn't bad, just a good family coaster. Can completely understand why you won't give it a go, but If you can muster up a little bit of courage I'd recommend trying it. And if you want to brave Ghost Train I'd recommend trying TWD first as a warm-up, as the latter is definitely not as scary or intense as the former.
Thank you @Skyscraper ! I did ride X:\ NWO and it's later version: X (always found parts of the queue over-stimulating!) but since it's been TWD I've avoided like the plague 😂 My eldest son (who's 10) has been on it & I waited by the photo booth... the reactions of people in their photos and as they came off the ride put me off even more as they'd had actors through the queue line 🤣🤣 I'm sure the sights and sounds of Oktoberfest will help to fill the gaps!

Thank you @Skyscraper ! I did ride X:\ NWO and it's later version: X (always found parts of the queue over-stimulating!) but since it's been TWD I've avoided like the plague 😂 My eldest son (who's 10) has been on it & I waited by the photo booth... the reactions of people in their photos and as they came off the ride put me off even more as they'd had actors through the queue line 🤣🤣 I'm sure the sights and sounds of Oktoberfest will help to fill the gaps!
I would recommend giving it a miss personally, I found it uncomfortably overstimulating, the endless walking through tunnels with sirens blaring and flashing red lights was too much for me. The ride itself is pretty unremarkable and if you've already done it as X:\Whatever I would pass it up in its current form. There's just better stuff you could be doing imo, like drinking beer. If they have any...

Sounds delightful! 😂 Thanks for the info!

In regards to the beer... If any of the events were absolutely not weighted in my favour, it's Oktoberfest... I don't drink & I don't eat meat 😂🤣 but definitely going to be happy to be there, always worth a visit for team triple S (SAW, Swarm, Stealth) a look at the Exodus site and hopefully, a decent atmosphere! Have decided to cut day 2 short and head across to Chessy purely to see what MM is all about!

Have decided to cut day 2 short and head across to Chessy purely to see what MM is all about!
Make sure you remember to reserve a return time for MM before you get to Chessy. Otherwise by the time you arrive in the afternoon they could all be gone.

Sounds delightful! 😂 Thanks for the info!

In regards to the beer... If any of the events were absolutely not weighted in my favour, it's Oktoberfest... I don't drink & I don't eat meat 😂🤣 but definitely going to be happy to be there, always worth a visit for team triple S (SAW, Swarm, Stealth) a look at the Exodus site and hopefully, a decent atmosphere! Have decided to cut day 2 short and head across to Chessy purely to see what MM is all about!
That's good because last time I did Oktoberfest at Thorpe Park they didn't have any beer 🤣 (I don't drink it either, but my husband was miffed!) Sounds like you'll be fine anyway!