• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park Trip Questions - Returning after over ten years

Ethan

TS Member
Alright I have a few questions regarding my next trip to Thorpe. Not been for a long time, since Swarms opening year and I was quite young back then, so I must say I can't remember much about rides and best orders to do things. So these are my questions:
1. Colossus is set to reopen after the re track in 'late spring'. My visit will be 18/19 May which is later spring so do you think the ride will be open by then?
2. Noticed on the app that Saw is running on 'reduced capacity'. Does anyone know how many trains Saw can run and how many it's running currently? If it is still running on reduced capacity by my visit should I start there first to avoid the long queues?
3. I'll be staying in the Thorpe shark cabins for the first time for my trip. Has anyone stayed in these and if so what do you think about them? Also is the breakfast and the food that is served in the evening nice?
4. Linking back to point 2, how good are the operations at Thorpe in general? Are operations as good as Towers?
I'm looking forward to visiting again for the first time in at least 10 years. Can't remember the coasters that much tbh so it'll be like riding them again for the first time.

1. Colossus has a section of track missing. Highly doubtful it will be open by May.

2. No idea but Saw at full capacity is bad enough. Definitely go there first before it builds a consistent 1 hour + queue.

3. Haven't stayed there but looks extremely claustrophobic and there will be nothing to do in the evening unless you venture out into Staines (God help you)

4. Typical Merlin operations really. Slightly below average but hit and miss. Stealth goes on and off quite regularly but never for too long.

- Absolutely impossible to say for Colossus. Judging by the state it's in at the moment, I'd be minded to say probably not though.
- No clue on what SAW is running on at the moment, but first is probably a good shout (it usually is for us) providing it's actually running at the start of the day.
- Stayed at Thorpe Shark a good few years ago. It's...ok I guess? Food was....passable, but didn't appreciate how early the bar shut. No idea if that's still the case at the moment.
- Operations wise they're a real mixed bag, so again impossible to say. Sometimes they're absolutely excellent, although for my trips more often than not they've been average at best.

You've not been in a long time, so just head there and enjoy yourself. Aside from maybe deciding to go on SAW first, don't overstress about what each and every thing will be like (operations, food etc) and make the best of your trip when you get there.

Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated. I'll make the most of the trip and try not to worry about things, such as operations, that are out of my control.

Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated. I'll make the most of the trip and try not to worry about things, such as operations, that are out of my control.
By far the best way to do it! You're going regardless, so it's best to just go with the flow :). As much as I knocked Thorpe Shark, it was pretty damn cheap in the grand scheme of things, and nothing beats a short walk to your accommodation vs having to slog back to a Premier Inn or similar in the car and cope with the car park queues at the end of the day.

Had a couple of freebies to Thorpe, low season, great fun, with friends and family.
Small park, so it's easy to just wander and find a shorter queue, that is what we did both times, you are never more than five minutes away from everything else.
And Ethan...to some of us, you are still quite young now!
Good luck.

I'd be inclined to use the single rider queue for SAW, worked reasonably well when I was there in September last year.

Operations on Nemesis Inferno aren't good, I'd be inclined to get that one in early; when the RAP queue builds up the main queue moves so slowly it's just miserable.

Staines Nandos is perfectly acceptable and would be my go-to option rather than anything on offer on-site.

Bear in mind that Saw doesn't always open on time. Last April I went to it first thing but it was still closed with a large pre-queue stretching from the entrance.

If Colossus isn’t open before May then that’s crazy. We have Easter around the corner, plus 3 bank holidays in May. We all know it can’t operate in low temperatures but they have had all winter to address this issue which still isn’t sorted. 😑

The track is on site already isn't it. Surely by 7 weeks time when I visit the track would've been put back in and testing will be done