• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Trip Report: Florida 2012 (2nd April - 16th April)

SLC

TS Member
I started to write one on TTF but kinda forgot to update it. Going to take this opportunity to write a new one, which will be more in-depth. However, I can't find my SD card with the photos I took. Hopefully I'll be able to find them, but bare with me if not.

---

Day One: Downtown Disney (2nd April 2012)

Orlando, Florida. It's the one place I would consider a necessity to visit for all roller coaster enthusiasts of all ages. Hold on, scratch that. I think of it as a necessity for anybody and everybody to experience the central Floridian theme parks. And this was before I had taken my most recent trip back in April of this year. I had already been twice in my lifetime, as a two year old in 1999 and a six year old in 2003. Of course, I was much too young to remember any features of these parks, let alone ride the rides located within the boundaries of the attractions. In the few years since I've become an enthusiast, Florida was the one place I had always wanted to make a return to. As a fifteen year old, I was much more prepared to fully explore the secrets which I was unaware of nine years previously. I travelled with my grandmother and my younger brother. My parents had to drop out of the trip for personal reasons (although we hadn't fully booked the trip by then), and my grandfather also didn't join us due to the visa office changing the delivery time by a few months after he had ordered and after we had booked the holiday, meaning it turned up about a week late.

On the second of April, I woke up in the Best Western hotel residing next to Gatwick Airport (ironically, the night before, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was on TV). The previous day I had travelled from my grandparents house in Cambridgeshire, and stayed overnight in the Gatwick Moat House, a hotel which I would recommend due to it's close proximity to the airport - made even easier to reach due to the hotels shuttle bus service - and the free parking it offers over a two week period. It was an early start, waking up at 6:30 so we could grab a final full English breakfast before we left for the States. We took the crowded shuttle, before lounging around for a few hours before the flight, including a quick Starbucks. The flight was booked for the four of us, in two sections of two at different parts of the plane. I volunteered to sit on my own, but the British Airways staff managed to sort everything out for us and we got to sit together.

The flight left at 11:35. We each had our own touch screens built in to the seat in front, which allowed us to watch and listen to a variety of films, TV shows and music albums. I watched an episode of Family Guy and The Simpsons, but afterwards opted to listen to music, played a bit of Professor Layton and spent an hour or two playing Temple Run. I attempted to catch a little shut-eye, though I couldn't sleep due to the excitement of the last seven months finally beginning to come to fruition. After a seemingly agonizingly long flight, I saw on the flight map which I had been staring at for at least two hours that we were almost at Orlando. Sure enough, when I looked out of the window I began to see the murky swamps and vast lakes of Florida. Just a quick note: The Swarm by You Me At Six is an awesome song to land to.

After getting through security, we eventually found our way onto the airport monorail and soon after we got to the Disney Magical Express bus stop. Stepping out of the airport, the first thing I noticed was the intense heat, which would stick with us for the first few days. We got on the coach which took us straight to the All-Star complex that we would be staying on for the two weeks, which meant that we were finally in Disneyworld. The one thing which shocked me the most was the size of Disneyworld itself – somehow, the fact that it was 40 square miles slipped my knowledge and caught me off guard slightly. Passing Blizzard Beach, we had completed the first leg of the journey, and checked into the All-Star Sports hotel. It was very nice for a budget hotel, split into ten different blocks themed on five popular American sports – American football, basketball, baseball, surfing and tennis. It had two swimming pools, a couple of sports facilities, some shops, an arcade and a food court. The eatery was a large hall with four different food counters selling a variety of foods (one sold pizza and hot dogs while another sold salads, for example). The menus of each place changed through the day to accommodate for all three main meals.

The atmosphere in the food court was strange. Although I've never been to one myself, it felt sort of like a summer camp. The majority of people there were teenagers, mostly wearing sports clothing. I think there were quite a few people staying there because they were playing in a competition at the ESPN Wide World of Sports which was located inside Disneyworld.

We didn't get anything to eat straight away, instead opting to leave our suitcases and bags in our room to save us carrying them. It was quite modest, although we weren't really intending to stay there quite a lot. It had two double beds (we rented a third fold out bed for myself), a TV and a bathroom, and had some paintings and other decorations to do with American football (that was the section we were staying in).

We had time to look around the hotel that night, but instead we decided to head on the bus service provided by Disney between all of their parks and hotels to Downtown Disney. One of the reasons we did this was because it was a spot we could pick up the Disney portion of our ultimate ticket, although an error led to us worrying quite a bit over the next few days (more on that with tomorrows report). Although I told my family in full confidence that we could walk there in just five minutes, it turned out it was half an hour by bus. Happy that I wasn't listened to, we headed off to see some of the shops.

For those who don't know what Downtown Disney is, it's an entertainment district full of fabulous shops, restaurants and shows. Some of it's better known additions are a Cirque du Soleil arena and DisneyQuest, an indoors interactive theme park. We looked around some of the shops such as Team Mickey for sporting goods and apparel and the Disney Christmas shop. As we made our way to the far end of Downtown Disney, we were going to have a look at DisneyQuest, but it was $55 dollars for the day and as it was getting late we decided we'd come back another day. It was at that point my stomach began to really hurt and I realised I hadn't ate since we had breakfast at the hotel back in England. I bought a few snacks, just some pretzels and an ice cream, to tide me over before we got back to the hotel. When we got there, I ordered a pizza with chips, and bought a special drinks bottle which was refillable for the duration of our stay for just $13 or so. The pizza was alright, it tasted a bit like Pizza Hut but it sufficed. We went back to our room, watched a basketball game before swiftly falling asleep. We would decide where we were going tomorrow over breakfast.

Just working on the second post now. It's getting kinda beefy so I dunno how long it'll be. Shouldn't be too long though.

SLC said:
The pizza was alright, it tasted a bit like Pizza Hut but it sufficed.

Ahem, Pizza Hut pizza's are probably the nicest you can buy anywhere on a consistent basis. Certainly far nicer than Domino's.

Jem8472 said:
Any chance of adding pictures too? :)

Sorry, I've lost my SD card. If I managed to find it then I'll add some in, but for the time being that's a no :(

The Psychoaster said:
Ahem, Pizza Hut pizza's are probably the nicest you can buy anywhere on a consistent basis. Certainly far nicer than Domino's.

I much prefer Domino's myself :) Pizza Hut is very good though, so I'm glad it was at least partly emulated at Disney.

Day Two: Universal's Islands of Adventure (3rd April 2012)

We woke up moderately early the next day. Me and my brother, very excited for our first day of new coasters, rushed to get showered, dressed and prepared for wherever we were to be heading. We still hadn't decided which park would have the honour of our first visit, though, although we had practically short-listed it down to Islands of Adventure or Animal Kingdom. We headed out of our room and already we realized we were in for a long day due to the temperature remaining high. We made our way over to breakfast where I ordered what I was to have every single day of the trip – two sides of bacon and two sides of sausage with a hot chocolate. Although the bacon wasn't the nicest I've ever tasted, I instantly fell in love the breakfast wieners and the hot chocolate was the most delicious I had ever tasted.

We decided on going to the theme park I was most excited for, IoA. We took a taxi there for about $35, and arrived at roughly 10:30. We breezed through security before heading into CityWalk. I wasn't even aware of what CityWalk even was before this trip, even though I must have been through it in the past, but I think it's quite a unique and interesting introduction to the magic and excitement of the two parks. We didn't stop to look around the shops – that was for another day. We wanted to get inside the park as soon as possible to maximise the time we got riding.

Even the theming in the walk to the park, the Port of Entry, was top-notch. Each shop, restaurant and building was a piece of wonderful architecture inspired from the far reaches of the world. The lighthouse, the icon and thus most recognisable imagery in the park, stood tall. It made for a wonderful atmosphere, a feeling which I would experience in several areas of several parks.

Just before we reached the main gates, we had to queue up for guest services so we could receive our fourteen day tickets for the park. I quickly went to the toilet - for all of the Alton Towers toilet fanatics out there on TST, I thought it would be worth mentioning that both Universal parks (possibly Busch too, but I don't think Disney do) use Dyson Airblades, which goes to show that the park care about the overall guest experience, even for trivial things such as hand dryers – before waiting in the heat again. Another positive thing to note about the park is the queue line fans. They spray a light water vapour which is very refreshing.

We made our way to the service desk when we were asked for ID, just to make sure we didn't steal the tickets. My nan pulled out both mine and my brothers passports, but couldn't find hers, although she was looking for a good five minutes. They staff were helpful and friendly, giving us the tickets anyway, but we were all still nervous – where could it be?

We walked through the entry gates, before having a look at some of the queues. They were looking quite long – 75 minutes for Hulk, 120 for Harry Potter and about 45 minutes for the water rides. Regardless, we queued up for the big, green, launched B&M sit down in the Marvel Superhero Island. About five minutes in, we discovered that my nan had bought us fastpass tickets. We stayed in the queue, however, although it turned out that the queue was to be much shorter later on.

The theming is very nice in the queue line. I wouldn't say it's any better than Ben 10: Ultimate Mission's although it isn't very far behind. The video gives a good job of describing the backstory of the ride, which is about Bruce Banner wanting to destroy the Hulk part of him by the means of exploiting gamma radiation.

We both got seated on the back row, which was a nice little bonus for our first ride on a B&M sitdown. The ride kicks off with a slow ascent up the lift hill while Banner realises that the experiment is about to go wrong. Suddenly, you're launched out of the gamma tube a lot faster than you'd expect – it gave the same kick as Stealth and Rita, even though it was about 20 MPH slower. You rush straight into the zero-G roll, which gives you an absolutely amazing sensation. You then pick up some more speed on the plummet back down towards the lake, swerving upwards in the nick of time into a cobra roll and a loop. Although I didn't on this particular day, I did what I had never done on any previous rollercoaster before on the cobra roll – begin to grey out. The inversions didn't feel particularly intense, so I don't know why this happened. Nethertheless, it wasn't the most pleasant experience but it didn't seem to affect the ride too much. You head through a mist tunnel before heading back upwards and completing a helix. There's then a well-timed corkscrew, a second loop and a couple of banked turns before you hit the MCBR. There's one final inversion, another corkscrew, then a few more turns before the journey is complete.

I'd give it a 10/10: at the time of riding it was probably the second best coaster I've ridden, just behind Nemesis. The zero-G roll is fantastic, one of my favourite inversions out of all the parks in Florida so long as the sun isn't in your eyes as you exit the tube. The theming is acceptable, the track looks to be in good condition (other than the pieces near the mist tunnel although that really can't be helped) and the overall experience is top class. Lovely staff in the station, too. A wonderful start to the holiday.

After getting off, we decided to wander around in the general direction of Toon Lagoon. We didn't deem it necessary to ride Storm Force Accelatron, and my family weren't up for waiting for me on Dr. Doom at the moment (my brother had a dislike towards drop towers although I don't remember him ever riding one). We considered Spiderman as it was a ride that even my nan wanted to ride, but the queue was 120 minutes and we only had 2 fastpasses so we gave it a miss.

As we got into Toon Lagoon, I expressed my desire to ride on Dudley Do-Rights Ripsaw Falls, but it was closed down – no water was pumping down the tracks. Instead, we braved the 20 minute queue to have a ride on Popeye and Bluto's Blige Rat Barges. All I can say is that these rapids are absolutely crazy. Everybody on our barge came off completely drenched, and it's easy to see why. You really get thrown around a lot and there are a lot of interactive water features which give you more of a soaking. The ride highlight for me was the drop after the lift hill, it was utterly crazy and you pick up so much speed due to the steepness of the descent. Don't go to Islands of Adventure and miss it, 9/10.

We headed across the bridge, of which Ripsaw Falls went underneath, to get to Jurassic Park. We didn't go on the River Adventure just yet, as we were interesting in checking out the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Before we even got into the actual area, we queued up for 5 minutes to buy a frozen butterbeer, which was located just inside the walls of Hogsmeade. It wasn't as good as people have said, but it's not bad. It was very sickly, and I didn't manage to finish it but I'd try it again. I'll give credit to everybody involved with the Harry Potter project – it was beautiful. Everything, from the tiniest details they put into the shops to the majestic Hogwarts castle, standing proudly atop it's cliff, was wonderfully executed. I must admit that I expected myself to be slightly more amazed by it, being the huge Potterhead that I am, but it was a little more underwhelming than I imagined. Not that that's entirely a bad thing, of course, as there would have been way too much to handle otherwise.

The line for the Forbidden Journey was gargantuan – it stretched all of the way out of Hogsmeade – so we headed to get a single go on each dragon. The theming was limited, but the cave setting meant it didn't have to be very extravagant. There were a few props from the fourth Harry Potter film, such as the Triwizard Cup and the golden egg which were quite interesting but other than that it was just a long cavern. We didn't experience most of the main queue the first time, using our fastpasses which still put us at the back of the main queue, although it saved a two or three minute walk. We opted for the Hungarian Horntail first, and it was very good. The ride begins with the ascent up the lift hill before a drop to the right. You spiral around a large helix before lifting back up again for a zero-G roll. This is almost immediately followed by a cobra roll and the distinctive vertical loop. Up next is the corkscrew which interlocks with the Chinese Firebolt, before you turn right, left then hit the break run. It had some nice airtime and was well paced throughout, meaning you never got bored.
With the queue so short, we ran back around to ride the Chinese Firebolt. The queue had grown a little, but we still only waited 10 minutes before we were dispatched. Rather than dropping to the right this time, you turn to the left and swoop straight into an Immelmann loop. After leaving the element you rise up again, as you do on the Horntail, but instead you raise above the zero-G. It gives a lovely sensation of airtime, probably the best in the park, before heading into a wrap-around Immelman. You then proceed to go through the loop and into the corkscrew as you do on the Hungarian Horntail before another, final corkscrew.

Funnily enough, we got put on the back row for both rides, putting us on a streak from the Hulk earlier. It's a shame it doesn't duel any more, but I still think that both rollercoasters are strong enough to survive on their own. They had consistently short queues on each of our four visits, and I have no clue if that has anything to do with the decision for them to stop duelling. They're both top class coasters and next time I visit I hope to see that they're both still there. I think that the Firebolt was the better of the two, and I'd give it an 8.5/10. They're both very similar and the Horntail isn't far behind. 8/10.

We met up with our nan before deciding to ride on Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. The queue was only a little shorter, beginning next to the main gates and stretching all of the way around the side of the castle (it was posted that it was just 75 minutes, which we thought was more than worth it). We couldn't use our fastpasses as this was the only ride they weren't valid for, but my nan decided to give it a go anyway after some persuading from me. There were extra parts of the queue open, which made it stretch all of the way around to near Jurassic Park. It seemed like forever before we finally made it into the castle and into the shambles that was the locker room. I think it took just over an hour, possibly just under.

The locker rooms were very crowded and there were no staff on watch to make sure everybody knew what they were doing and how to use the machines. We put our stuff away before heading back into the main queueline, which made me realise how easy it could be to cheat your way into this part of the queue without lining up outside. You can head straight to the locker room as a single rider as the queue for them begins just after. From there, it's probably possible to mix yourself up in the crowd and rejoin the main line. Of course, I wouldn't consider this, but just a note I made.

After we got out, we noticed the queue stopping. A few short moments later, we were told via the speakers in the queue that there would be a problem with the ride. “It's alright,” I assured my family. “We'll be moving in no time.” That was partly a lie, as it took half an hour or so before we started to move again – I had already regretted not bringing my phone so I could listen to music.

We made a turn and continued through the castle. We were about opposite with the Mirror of Erised when we were once again told that the ride needed maintenance. The only slight upside was that we were in the well themed line, rather than a wooden cattlepen. This delay took longer than the first, but to the cheers of everybody in the line it started up again. Traversing through the greenhouse, we finally made it back into the castle again, and into the area with the best theming. Moving portraits and props from the movies such as statues and the griffin outside of the headmasters office caught our eye, and made us realise how superior this decoration was to anything we have in Britain – nothing comes close. The most interesting part was the hologram room where the plot is revealed. Harry, Hermione and Ron all appear and tell you how they're going to help you escape the class of Professor Binns and watch a game of quidditch. Some nice effects took place, such as the part where Ron accidentally makes it snow inside the room. We had almost left when the ride broke down for a third time, though it only took ten or fifteen minutes this time.

It was just one more room before we reached the station, where there were more portraits explaining how the ride worked and all the general safety tips. It took a while before we got out but eventually we were sitting on the enchanted benches and lowering our restraints, excitedly anticipating the forthcoming ride.

And what a ride it was. You begin with Hermione casting a spell on you so you can fly, and the sensation is phenomenal. You're transported to the astronomy tower, which you soon leave and follow Harry down to the quidditch pitch. On the way, you meet Hagrid who tells you that he lost a dragon, but you continue onwards. You're intercepted by the dragon, and you're taken to the set of the uneven bridge, where the animatronic dragon chases and tries to breathe fire (a coloured mist) on you.

Escaping the beast, you descend down to the Forbidden Forest where a lot of animatronic spiders spit their venom (water) at you. Hermione helps you escape, then you head back to the quidditch pitch, mid-game. Dementors appear, and as Harry tries to ead you away you enter the eponymous Chamber of Secrets from the second book. There's another set where you pass the Basilisk skeleton and the Dementors try to use the Dementors kiss on you, which is done by a great special effect using the photograph taken of you earlier in the ride. Exiting the scene, you're put into another video segment, before re-entering the castle to the applauds of Hogwarts students and Dumbledore, and the ride ends.

It's truly a special ride, and the true experience is very difficult to describe – you genuinely feel like you're floating and alongside Harry. A definite 10/10, possibly the best dark ride ever. You'll be blown away by it, and I'll risk saying that it was worth the three hour wait. However, it took me several re-rides before I came to this conclusion; on the first day, I found another ride even better than this even though it really shouldn't be. More on that later.

We had had enough of Potter for now and as we had just been queueing for the past couple of hours we decided to get a bite to eat at Thunder Falls Terrace. The food was quite nice, I had some roast chicken. I finished before the other two, and neither of them wanted to ride the River Adventure so I went on my own using my fastpass. It was very well themed and an interesting ride, especially once you got inside the main building. You didn't get as wet as you did on the other two water rides, but the drop was both high and steep. Would definitely recommend it, although I think it's the weakest of the trio it beats The Flume and Loggers Leap hands down. 9/10.

We slowly headed back in the direction we came, saving the Lost Continent and Seuss Landing for another day (we kept managing to put both areas off until our final day). We saw that Ripsaw Falls was back open, and me and my brother both decided to give it a ride. It was reasonably well themed, not so much as the Jurassic Park version, but what I found make it superior is that Ripsaw was all about fun. It had more drops than it's dinosaur counterpart, attempted a couple of jokes and generally felt more light-hearted. The final fall was great for multiple reasons. It gave the most fantastic view of Hogwarts castle (which I tried to get a picture of on another visit, but as you know I lost my SD card), the explosion effect looked good and you get absolutely soaked, not just from the front like on traditional flumes, but you were barraged from the left and right by water jets as you sped down the chute. A great laugh, 9.5/10.

We slowly headed back to the Marvel Land, aware it would be closing time quite soon. I, once again, was the only one who wanted to get a go on Dr. Doom so I went on my own. They really made an effort with what I had read was a sub-par drop tower – the theming and story were the best I had ever seen on a drop tower (barring Tower of Terror), and there was a lot of suspense built up as you waited for the sliding door to open, revealing the ride. Doom really was tame, and although I suppose it offered a fabulous view, I was facing the car park and didn't see any of the park which was a shame. I'd give it a 5/10. With only one more ride we really wanted to do, we headed to Spiderman to see if it was as good as people have said.

It had recently been renovated in HD, so I was looking forward to an even better experience than what I rode back in 2003. We sat down in the scoop, put on our glasses and awaited the ride to begin. We managed to get put on the front row which is always a bonus, especially on a ride without staggered seating. We set off on our adventure, meeting Spiderman who dropped down onto our car. It all looked very realistic with the higher quality projectors, and already I knew I was in for a treat. There was a sharp turn as we dodged a dustbin truck, and then we ended up in the base of the Sinister Syndicate where we discovered they were keeping the Statue of Liberty. They began to attack us, and the ride utilised the 3D well, using it in conjunction with 4D elements such as water sprays.

We headed back out to the streets, and although I can't exactly remember what happened next, I do remember a scene where Hobgoblin throws pumpkin bombs at you, and with a quick and nicely executed transition to a real set, included some fire effects which were great. There was another scene where you rose to the top of a tall building, but the moving walls/projections made it seem like you were actually going up.

I realised that this was a pretty poor description of the ride, and it genuinely was a lot better than I made out – this was the forementioned ride which I found better than Harry Potter due to the overall experience, continuity of the story and the better use of special effects. A definite 10/10, it's amazing and carried out spectacularly.

We decided to have one more ride in this park, before intending to cross parks and give Rip Ride Rockit a go. We rerode Hulk, this time being placed on the 7th row and ending our streak. It was just as good in the dark, if not better, and remained my top coaster of the day.

We walked back to CityWalk, which had a greater atmosphere. Although I can understand that some people might dislike it, there were flashing neon lights, DJs playing some fitting dance songs and a couple of performers on the walkway. Possibly my second favourite place in Orlando to be at night, second only to one of the worlds at Magic Kingdom.

We got into Universal relatively quickly and joined the queue for Rockit which was at half an hour. We made it all the way to the stairs before realising that it had broken down. We waited for another ten minutes before being told that it wouldn't be back running tonight, but were given a password which could be used the next day to get a free fastpass for the ride. This was no use, as we weren't planning to return the next day. A shame, but we weren't really too fussed.

We worked our way back to the car park, and got another taxi back to the hotel. Chicken nuggets for dinner and another night of TV. We rang up the ticket centre at Downtown Disney and they had forgotten to give back our passports, and were sent to lost and found. Funnily enough, the only L&F on site was at Magic Kingdom. We would be able to collect it within the next few days and there was no rush. No spoilers for my next trip, but there will be TWO parks featured.

Yay.

RIDE COUNT:
Incredible Hulk x2
Dragon Challenge: Chinese Firebolt x1
Dragon Challenge: Hungarian Horntail x1
Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls x1
Jurassic Park River Adventure x1
Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges x1
Doctor Doom's Fearfall x1
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey x1
The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man x1

PROS:
+The holiday begun(!)
+Breakfast sausage
+All of the rides were even better than I expected
+Fastpasses

CONS:
-The unbearable heat
-The passport worries
-3 hours for Harry Potter

Going to also write my top ten roller coasters as I ride them, and update the list as I ride more.

TOP 10:
1) The Incredible Hulk
2) Dragon Challenge: Chinese Firebolt
3) Dragon Challenge: Hungarian Horntail

THAT WAS 3769 WORDS, HOLY CRAP.

I promise I'm working on this. I've almost finished the first of the two parks I'm writing about, and the second one was just a brief visit. I'm also going to grab my nans SD card so I can get photos.