• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Trip Report Friday 19th April 2024

Charlie1910

TS Member
Friday 19th April 2024

Just thought I would do a quick Trip Report from our visit on Friday 19th April.

Park Hours – 10am – 4pm

Rides Completed – 17

We arrived at 9:30am and parked up in Express Parking, They do need some better sign posting if you didn’t know where this was, as the lady checking tickets was further round pass the rear of the monorail station than previously (Not by the Cabin) and there was quite a few parked in the Drop off point, looking around if this was EP.

After going through Security (They were very cheery and chatty!) We entered the park by 9:40am and headed for Forbidden Valley.

Galactica was nice to ride this after four years, as every trip it is either closed, breaks down or shows a 90 Minute queue lines.

Nemesis Reborn was next, didn’t open until 10:45am, Theming was very good and was impressed. Nice to see it with your own eyes!

First run I was Seat 3, Row 6, lovely and smooth, enjoyed the ride (IF I did find it a little slower than previous) my friend in Seat 4 said otherwise! So on our next go I had Seat 4, Row 2 and he had the inner seat. WOW! BONE SHAKER! SO much vibration? Ride was like night or day depending on seat location. I am not an expert and so not sure if this will improve with time etc. We did speak to a few other people round the park on the day and they said similar.

With an Aching Back…..we moved on to have a Run on Blade,

Then our first experience ever on Sub-Terra, Yeah, Moving On…….

We thought all the theming in FV was very good. Yes, Galactica sticks out like a sore thumb now and needs to be Re-Themed! We did see a lot of Actors around Nemesis, which we thought for a Mid-Week day, was impressive.

Curse of Alton Manor was next, I do enjoy this and think it is still as good as first rode last year. There are some really clever elements, and some old looking stuff too which does let it down a little!! Quite a lot of “Dark Spaces” during the ride. We did comment that when we rode in October, there was a queue line of about 20 minutes, so you got the back story….today was a walk on, so if you had never ridden before I would suggest you take your time to take the back story on board so it makes more sense!

Runaway Mine train as it was a walk on was next…..Four Laps also….Great Camaraderie as always!.....Choo Choo!

Congo River Rapids was open so we decided to brave it even though it was typical UK weather!

Wickerman was showing 15 Minutes….walked straight on!....Twice! Fantastic as ever! We rode Back Row and Row 2. Super Super Slick the loading team….They always are!

We ambled over too Gloomy Wood, and on the way, we commented how beautiful the Gardens looked, it is a bit of a shame as when the park hours are so short, you don’t feel like you have the time to explore and really appreciate them up close.

We stopped at the Food outlet opposite Rita and purchased 2x Chicken Wraps, £9 cost each, we both thought well worth the price, tasted good, cooked fresh, and no complaints.

Thirteen showed a 20 minute queue…..”Let’s eat in the queue line” practically a walk on so we had to devour our wraps a little quicker than expected!

Rita was next, one I often try and “Put Off”….as I rode it once 15 Years ago and being 6Ft 5, do struggle to “Put my neck back” in those seats. Nevertheless, the apparent 20 minute queue I couldn’t hold a reasonable excuse not to ride. We was seated back row and I thoroughly enjoyed riding again! It ran so smoothly! (A Surprising change and Relief after our earlier Nemesis Experience!)

Now onto my biggest “Challenge” of the Day for me…..”First time riding The Smiler”

After watching many on Ride Videos, reading this Forum, listening to others who have ridden it, comparing which seats are “Les Rougher than others” and also watching it in the flesh for several years….I have never had the confidence to step underneath and through that entrance sign!

However, I had no choice, I promised my friend I would ride it, so I did! And I absolutely loved it! What a Ride! I can see why it gets mixed views of course! I came off and was full of elation and relief! And importantly….cannot wait to ride it again!

Time wise it was coming up to 3:50, so we headed for another go on Wickerman, again straight walk on onto the Pre-Show!

With the rides now closed, we sat on the benches by the waterfalls near Wickerman, consuming 10 (Actually 11!) Donuts and some drinks and reflected on a very good day at Alton Towers.

We headed back up Towers Street towards express parking, and was going to have a quick look around the shop, However, the queue to just get in the shop was ridiculously long! And hardly anyone in the actual shop? Felt like Covid times! Not too sure why this was the case?

Conclusion

We only usually come once a year for Scarefest, but we wanted to try hopefully “Quiet Day” and get a decent count of rides in, ride some rides we have not ridden for a while/before, and also see the new Nemesis.

Rides times were often advertised anywhere between 5 – 45 Minutes, but mostly were walk on. Smiler was the longest at 35 minutes (Exactly what was stated) Glalactica was 25 Minutes (But they were SLOW on Loading, Possible training morning too?)

We thought overall the park looked clean, fresh, the gardens looked beautiful. The theming that has been added around the park looked good. More Actors around the park was nice to see, but we felt unnecessary for such a quiet day IMHO. We did not see one ride go down all day, Wickerman and Nemesis did open later (Before 11am)….A Refreshing change to our usual October visit.

AT has had some criticism for cost of Food & Drinks etc. We thought some items were excessively pricey, but others were reasonable and good value based on quality/taste etc. For Example, The Wraps (£9) were VERY GOOD, so I believe well worth it. £10 for 10 Donuts and £4.75 for a Regular Drink, not so! But if you looked at the queue on Towers Street for Donuts…..They didn’t think the price was unreasonable!!!

See you in October!

Ride Count

Galactica X2

Nemesis X2

Blade X2

Sub Terra X1

Curse of AM X1

Runaway Train X1

Rapids X1

Wickerman X3

Thirteen X2

Rita X1

Smiler X1

I hope you have a great day! We certainly did!
Forgot to mention also, how many lovely people we chatted to in the small queue lines! Was an absolute pleasure to be on Park!