• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Tulleys Shocktober Fest Trip Report 5th October

Zeock

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Journey to the Center of the Earth
I went to Tulleys for the second time with my dad. Apart from Electrick Circus and the Hayride, which I had done last year, I went in all of the mazes.
We arrived at 16:00. The park opened at 17:00, and the mazes opened at either 17:30 or 18:00.

We first did The Cellar: Imprisoned.
Scares: 8.5/10
The actors seemed better at finding places to jump out from effectively this time around.
The strobe maze also seemed more disorientating.
Actors: 9.5/10
The actors seemed to be utilising more of a 'The Grudge '-esque 'death rattle' rather than generic sounds.
Fun Factor: 7/10
Theming: 8.5/10
Storyline: 6/10
Total: 39.5/50
This maze was definitely better than last year.

We then did Wastelands Penitentiary.
Scares: 7/10
Actors: 10/10
The actors seemed to be insulting people quite a bit more this year, and they
used the strobe maze to great effect.
Fun Factor: 10/10
Theming: 10/10
The building shows how shipping containers can be used effectively when building scare attractions.
Storyline: 9.5/10
Total: 46.5/10
Although I am giving it the same score as last year, it seemed to be very slightly better this year.

After that, we went to Purgatory, which was new for 2024.
Scares: 6.5/10
You are given a lantern, which flickers and strobes at certain points within the attraction.
Actors: 6/10
Fun Factor: 5.5/10
It is a rather forgettable maze.
Theming: 5.5/10
The building is mostly empty, and you can see vast swathes of the layout of the attraction at most points within it.
Storyline: 8.5/10
It is a fairly detailed storyline, to its credit.
Total: 32/50

We then travelled to The Carving, which was a re-theme of The Island.
Scares: 6.5/10
There are a few chainsaws scattered around this maze. Actors at Tulleys usually are a lot more aggressive with chainsaws compared to those at Merlin parks. However, there are quite a few dead spots.
Actors: 8.5/10
It helps that the actors in this maze are allowed to speak English.
It was surprisingly enjoyable. I wasn't expecting much from this maze, but it exceeded my paltry expectations.
Theming: 7/10
There are some decent scenes, but not enough of them in places.
Storyline: 8.5/10
It has a good storyline, which is somewhat conveyed throughout the attraction.
Total: 38/50

After that, I left my dad to experience Wastelands Penitentiary again, which was more intense than usual. I then waited for the show, which had changed. There is now new music, which I prefer over the 2021-23 show music, new graphics, and audience participation, which consists of putting your hands behind your head for the majority of the show while the actors roam the area, sometimes pretending to stab you. There is also an interesting audio effect halfway through the show. However, the fire has been reduced from last year, and the area where the person with the flamethrower was is now empty. Despite this, I preferred the show over last year. On this, my first viewing, two separate people running away from the actors fell over! While I am talking about the actors, they were much more aggressive in the show this year, with the standout character being someone with 'Baby' written on the back of their clothes. The dancers were far less skimpy this year, which is probably good considering that there were people as young as 12 in attendance.

I then met up with my dad again to go to Doom Town.
Scares: 6/10
The actors were slightly more adept at finding scares this time around.
Actors: 9/10
They were mostly great but at one point, two actors bumped into each other and broke character.
Fun Factor: 10/10
Theming: 10/10
However, the real out-of-date produce had gone. The barbers had also been replaced by a Boots.
Storyline: 7/10
Total: 42/50

We then bought two perfectly cromulent burgers and then did The Creepy Cottage.
Scares: 7/10
There were a couple of decent jump scares.
Actors: 8.5/10
They were especially good in the strobe corridor.
Fun Factor: 9.5/10
It is definitely a maze that you could go through a lot of times while keeping similar levels of enjoyment.
Theming: 8/10
There was a new finale, which involved an actor inside a bed with drawn curtains.
Storyline: 5/10
Total: 37/50

After that, we experienced The Village: Coven of 13.
Scares: 6/10
The swamp scene was more intense than usual this year, but the rest was at a low intensity, as is expected from this maze.
Actors: 7.5/10
Fun Factor: 9/10
Theming: 7.5/10
Storyline: 9/10
Total: 39/50

I then went back on my own to do The Chop Shop Garage.
Scares: 8/10
It felt quite a bit less intense this year. The actors were not being as carefree with the chainsaws compared to last year.
Actors: 8/10
Theming: 9/10
I do really like the facade, but the second half of the maze doesn't have much theming.
Storyline: 6.5/10
Total: 38.5/50

I went back to The Creepy Cottage, which was slightly less intense than before, but still very enjoyable. I love the audio in that maze.

After that, I met up with my dad to go in Hellements.
Scares: 4/10
There was nothing of note.
Actors: 6/10
Fun Factor: 5/10
I enjoyed the fireball, but bumping into people due to the hooded nature of the attraction wasn't so fun.
Theming: 6.5/10
The theming in the last part of the attraction is pretty decent.
Storyline: 7/10
Total: 28.5/50
Hellements was definitely the weakest maze of the night.

I left my dad again to see the Wastelands show again, then I went inside the maze. The actors were especially good. I enjoyed it when one actor said that they wanted to pull my hair out and put it on their head because 'it's shiny'. After Wastelands Penitentiary, I waited around 10 minutes for the show, and this time, I was forced to participate with my hands behind my head, which became a bit uncomfortable after 5 minutes, but it was an interesting experience.

I went back to Doom Town.
The nightclub scene was filled with fog, so it was very hard to see. This improved the attraction because the nightclub scene has very little theming.

I then had my fourth and final go-through of Wastelands Penitentiary. The music in the first part had changed, and was some sort of EDM, although the rest of the music was the same. The finale was also slightly different.
In the final corridor, the gunshots were replaced by an actor.

The final attraction of the day was Chop Shop. There was a decent scare at the beginning where an actor effectively utilised the maze to their advantage, but it was still less intense than last year.

My dad and I left at 23:05. I love Tulleys, and this visit was even better than my last one! I'm not sure how I'll manage to wait another year for October to roll around again.