• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ug Land and Storybook Land - Old and Construction Images (Picture Heavy)

Aw, I never visited UG Land but it looks so bright and cheerful. A well-done theme which is fairly original and fun to boot. It's just depressing that the Dark Forest was so unimaginatively placed overtop.

My particular distaste must go to the F&B units. They didn't even manipulate the shape or design - they literally slapped some paint, vines and 2D signs on top of the old units. No wonder the UG Land facades are starting to show through...

Indeed it is now depressing.

How Alton Towers have the ability to turn an area with two rollercoasters into a zone of depression.

It's not like it's high quality either.

"Dark" Forest. Is not dark. There's barely a tree in the main area.

The theming was cheaply plastered over the original Ug Land theming.

Ugh. Quite literally.

UG Land was lovely and a truly escapist theme, something completely unbelievable and pure fantasy which is exactly how a theme area should be. It was bright and fun, I love the ride entrances and the unity across the area.

Dark Forest has potential but it's been half-hearted and, as Dan says, just plastered over the top. It'll be nice to just see that area completely overhauled but I dare say I don't think it'll be done for a very long time - maybe when the woody's station is at the bottom. ;)

Sounds like you visited Ug Land in its very best years! (i.e. when it had just opened and before 70% of it was bulldozed by Rita)

8393966248_2263de806a_o.jpg

Interesting how that shop window became the main entrance. The whole place is so pretty. Even though Storybook Land became irrelevant as soon as the Peter Rabbit show closed, it will be a bit sad to see it all recycled with purple and yellow paint in May. :/

It's only because the themed building in the above picture is in such a tatty state these days that I am not complaining that they are painting it multicolours.

I never got to see the original Ug Land. I went first in 1998 then not again until 2005 when Rita opened but didn't even get round that side of the park on that visit!

I loved Ug Land and Storybook Land when I was little; far more than the attractions based on IPs (then again, who can find Barney or the Tweenies not creepy? :p ).

Even without Peter Rabbit, Storybook Land retained charm that no other area of the theme park had, and Ug Land was just a fun place to be (especially with the shows, fountains and the mixture of family attractions - there really was something for everyone in the area).

BigAl said:
I loved Ug Land and Storybook Land when I was little; far more than the attractions based on IPs (then again, who can find Barney or the Tweenies not creepy? :p ).

Even without Peter Rabbit, Storybook Land retained charm that no other area of the theme park had, and Ug Land was just a fun place to be (especially with the shows, fountains and the mixture of family attractions - there really was something for everyone in the area).

What attractions were in Storybook Land other than Squirrel Nutty and Peter Rabbit ice show?

There's always just been Squirrel Nutty, the Ice Shows and the small shop (when they were both still used, obviously). The Bookworm has always been there in Storybook Land too, though it's not really what you'd class as a proper attraction.

Even though it was only a very small area, it was beautifully presented (theming, layout, up-keep) and complemented the Farmyard nicely. It was one of the park's most magical areas and I really will miss it.

:(

Shame. I loved Storybook Land so much! Although it only have one ride, it always had that magical Beatrix potter feel to it. Its just one of those things really, you don't want something until its gone!
No doubt from what I've seen of the CBeebies land re-theme so far, it looks to become the park's third "Plastic" themed area after adventure land and Cloud Cuckoo Land. What happened to kids areas with thought put into them like Transylvania, Storybook etc. I guess I.Ps are the cop-out for making more of an effort.

UG Land, now that was an area! Wow I will never forget the first time I walked into that area in 2007, sideshows, actors, music, bright coloured theming, the what appeared to be Huge Corkscrew in the background and the whining of its lift hill, and even Rita, yes Rita, had this huge dominating look to it with the whole 50s dragster theme was a winner for me.
Heavy theming was never needed for that ride in my opinion, just that silhouette of the three hills crossing from the entrance to the area was powerful enough! I loved Ug Land!

Now we have somewhat of a very poorly themed, dismal & quite frankly depressing area known as the "Dark Forest" despite the fact that the area is probably the most open area of the park with hardly any trees, ah well they tried. Actually no they really didn't! Where is the atmosphere in that place, and the theming? Pretty much non-existent with the exception of the newest piece of theming "scaffolding" & "Shipping Container".

OK, rant over, I will always hold faith in towers to fix these problems at some point, and create more brilliant attractions such as The Smiler, now that's how you create and re-vitalise an old area!

Lets home Candy and the team will come up with some more creative ideas for attractions in the future!

:)