• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

If they have the Android's Dungeon, they better have a sarcastic Comic Book Guy.

And I see a fountain opportunity. Clearly inspiration from a certain park. ;)

Is the "Twirl 'n Hurl" a Maurer/Gerstlauer spinner?

EDIT - Nevermind, just viewed the concept art in larger res and have seen that it isn't.

From Universal Orlando's Facebook:

480573_10151463945762852_1373009399_n.jpg

Autobot Intel 007: This if your FIRST LOOK at EVAC. Stay close to him, he is your most trusted Autobot companion while at N*E*S*T.

According to Screamscape, some employees and special guests were allowed to ride Transformers last week and the park also let a few other guests who were nearby in for a go before they closed it again. They expect a soft opening stage to begin shortly, so anyone there should keep a look out.

They also posted some more images of the Simpsons area being built here, as well as this:

Summer 2013 - Springfield / Simpsons - (5/27/13) Universal has finally let Jebediah Springfield’s head out of the bag with the announcement that Springfield will open at Universal Studios Florida this summer. Pretty much all the rumors have been confirmed… you’ll get to eat a Krust-certified ‘meat sandwich’ at Krusty Burger, try donuts at Lard Lad, get your drink on inside Moe’s Tavern where you can have a real Duff Beer… brewed exclusively for Universal Orlando. You’ll get other menu choices beyond Krusty Burger as well as you can try dishes from other Fast Food Boulevard locations like The Frying Dutchman, Luigi’s Pizza and more!
There is also a very nice looking Duff Beer garden area outside on the waterfront, meet all your favorite Simpsons characters, the Android’s Dungeon (Comic Book Guy’s store) and to top it all off, take a spin on a new ride… Kang & Kodos’ Twirl ‘n’ Hurl.
Sneak a peek at the official concept art… it’s fantastic! It really doesn’t matter if you like Simpsons or not… the real bonus is that Universal has taken an area of the park that was mostly unthemed ever since the park first opened back in 1990 and mixed with the nearby Simpson’s ride, they’ve now created a beautiful well themed land and experience for their guests. I do also like how they’ve stuck Kang and Kodos over on the far end of Springfield, creating an interesting transition area as you go from The Simpsons’ aliens theme and pass into the realm of Men In Black.
On an interesting side note… I do have to wonder if we’ll see the area transformed and haunted up into a “Treehouse of Horrors” version of itself for Halloween Horror Nights.

Construction update on the Wizarding World expansion, thanks to Sideshow Mike on Orlando United:

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2644.jpg

IMG_2641.jpg

IMG_2638.jpg

IMG_2625.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

Quetzal said:
Half of the Simpsons themed expansion is now open!

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/2013/06/01/first-look-inside-krusty-burger-moes-and-more-first-phase-of-simpsons-expansion-now-open-at-universal-studios-florida/

Absolutely loving the look of this. The inside looks really functional, but at the same time true to the themes. Moe's Tavern looks wonderful. Shame the licensing laws are different in the US, so I'll have to have a flaming moes rather than a duff :(

This > Transformers.

That looks a lot better than the previous food court there, I really like it.

It has some great nods to classic Simpsons episodes, like the ribwich and the love tester (which I hope is voiced by a possessed Grampa). A few things of note, though: it's a real shame that the Flaming Moe is non-alcoholic as the whole point of the drink was that Homer could get drunk without leaving the house. Also (and I'm being serious), I love that Simpsons evolution mural, but I can definitely see that getting complaints from the more religious and stupid guests to the park.

Finally, I've heard there is a Lisa takeaway nearby that serves turkey...which is odd as Lisa is vegetarian/borderline vegan.

Chubby time! :D :p Just spotted this on Universal Orlando's Facebook:

941602_10151481967922852_137837164_n.jpg

Doh! JUST OPENED: Moe’s Tavern, Krusty Burger and more iconic Springfield eateries are now open at Universal Studios Florida.

For the first time ever, you can visit some of the eateries located on Springfield’s famed Fast Food Boulevard, including Krusty Burger, Moe’s Tavern, Cletus’ Chicken Shack, Lisa’s Teahouse of Horror, Luigi’s Pizza, Frying Dutchman, and Flaming Moe’s. Stay tuned for more details on when the other areas of Springfield will open.

Screamscape have also posted some photos and details on their site, including a picture of some Duff Beer and another of a Flaming Moe:

Summer 2013 - Springfield / Simpsons - (6/3/13) Good news Simpsons fans… the restaurants in the new Springfield area are now open for business offering up custom food and beverage creations from Moe’s, Krusty Burger and Cletus’ Chicken Shack.
Step up to Moe’s and not only can the adults enjoy a Duff Beer, but they’ve also brought the Flaming Moe to life in non-alcoholic form so everyone can try it. The menu at Krusty Burger offers more than the signature Krusty Burger, there is also the Clogger Burger, Mother Nature Burger, Ribwich, Sideshow Bob Foot Long and more. Cletus’ has a fun collection of food items to try as well including Chicken Arms, Chicken Thumbs, “Thrilled To Be Called Chicken Sandwich”, the Double Batter Chicken Platter and the sure to be popular Chicken & Waffle Sandwich w/ Tater Tots. Add in some extra items from Luigi’s (pizza) and seafood items from The Frying Dutchman (including the Basket O’ Bait!) and you’ve got a tough choice ahead about what to try. At just about any counter you can also pick up an official Buzz Cola, described as a “Zero Calorie Cherry Flavored Cola”.
Some great pictures from Moe’s were sent our way thanks to the “Poor Judgement Crew”. For those curious about Duff, they compared regular Duff to a Yngleng, Duff Lite to tasting similar to a Keystone Light and Duff Dry was “very hoppy” like a Sam Adams specialty beer.

Edit: Screamscape have posted a new update on the Jurassic Park additions here. The new midway games are just the beginning of what should hopefully be a fantastic and much-needed expansion to this area of IoA! :D

I've read on a number of sites now that Universal want to build a third park for around 2018, as well as three new hotels (besides the one currently being built), one of which may have its own water park or Wet & Wild which could be relocated closer to Universal. This is all on top of continuing to further add to the two parks that they currently operate.

Thing is, where would they build a third theme park? We've not long since discussed on here about the proposed Lord of the Rings ideas potentially becoming a separate park, but it seems that Universal want to try and add that IP into Islands of Adventure (at least at the moment). Had they not built the new Cabana Bay hotel where it is now, given permission for apartments to be built on the larger plot next to where Cabana Bay is going, and been given permission to ditch the road that runs through it, Universal could have easily built another Studios sized theme park on the stretch of land running right down past Turkey Lake Road and I4. Though others have said that Universal are intending to build something over the other side of Kirkman Road, this area of land was sold off by Universal and is now home to a few hotels.

Assuming that it would be going across this road, or perhaps even the open stretch of land by the outlets (just above Fun Spot Orlando), Universal then have the problem of getting people across to it. With the current two parks and City Walk, Universal built a large walkway over Universal Boulevard, complete with travelators because of the distance.

Building another bridge over Kirkman Road (assuming they'd be allowed) would be fine as the distance is about the same as it is from the meeting area (where the two car parks and drop-off meet, as well as where security checks all the bags) over to City Walk, but if that area of land is inaccessible due to the cost of shifting everyone from it being too high, that would then leave them having to cross Kirkman, I4 and Grand National Drive to get to the only remaining free space that's even remotely close to the other two park gates (and Universal don't want to have one theme park too separate).

The only thing I can think of, assuming it would be allowed, would be for Universal to have to build some sort of monorail (like the one at Orlando Airport) which can move a large number of guests quickly and safely from a station linking the two car parks or the meeting point before everyone crosses to City Walk.

But there's further problems if Universal do have to cross over to the plot of land by the shopping outlets/malls, as there's a selection of shops taking up part of the land there. Unless Universal want to build what some are describing as a "boutique" park (could suit a small 'Middle Earth park? :p ), wouldn't this have to be purchased and removed to make space? Otherwise a third park here would be even smaller than the Studios park.

Someone also suggested purchasing the villas above the two existing parks, over by Lake Cane, though I seriously doubt every single owner would want to sell up and move, surely? The only thing I like about this idea is that, assuming they could buy enough properties to get the required room for a new park, Universal could convert the current staff car park into a larger multi-story. This would double or triple the capacity of vehicles that can go on that area of land. Moving the staff parking would be easier too as there's still space over by where Cabana Bay is being built, not to mention the fact that they'd have purchased new land that could also be made use of. Once the old staff parking is converted, Universal could then create a Disney style monorail that links the third theme park with the other two by having it run right around both parks. And because there's already free space over by the holiday homes, Universal would find it easier and cheaper of shifting them over the numerous hotels on the plot of land across Kirkman Road.

One other thing I thought about was this third park (assuming it does come to fruition) possibly not linking to City Walk (or at least not without something like a monorail to help). Would Universal consider creating another smaller City Walk style area for a third park?

If I'm being honest, I can't see this being an easy task, and that's if the idea gets further than just discussions among Universal's management and creatives. I'll remain skeptical until I see a plan, or read something official.

Anyway, if anyone wants to know more, just give "Universal Orlando third park" a quick Google.

:)

I really can't see that this is a likely possibility if I'm honest. The site as it is is reasonably landlocked, and they've still got a fair few expansion pads ready to use up. The investment into the park at the moment is absolutely massive, and they are very obviously pushing to increase their power in the Orlando market even higher than it already is. However, they're doing this by adding to their old parks.

If they do build a third park, it'll be a highly themed waterpark, perhaps in the place of some of the employee buildings between the two parks, and maybe even replacing HRRR? I'm not ready to believe they'll build another park until something is officially announced.

Universal have many large rides and attractions planned for both parks, which have been pretty much confirmed up to 2015. Then there's obviously the Lord of the Rings rumours, Dr Seuss expansion talks, Madagascar. Alongside infrastructure improvements, that would take us up to 2018. I think quite simply investment for rides up until 2018 has been confirmed, not a third park.

I agree, waiting for something official is the way to go.

Also, Screamscape posted this onto their Facebook:

976349_10151698306187464_1104301268_o.jpg

D'oh! Look what arrived from @UniversalORL today... One giant world famous Lard Lad Donut! Wow!

They also put a few other images up of other people with their 'donuts':

965484_10151698312157464_1282746072_o.jpg

A little shaken and melted, but OMG the Simpsons Donut from @UniversalORL is huge! #OMG!

934765_10151698315707464_737274132_n.jpg

MMMMMMMmmmmmmm....forbidden donut... Yummy Lard Lad. Thanks @UniversalORL!

A nice idea, but it doesn't look like the post agreed with them! :p

Edit: Just spotted a big photo album of a lot of Universal's new Simpsons area additions and more products on-sale there here. Here's a few images of things people might not yet seen...

Krusty Burger and a meal:
03-The-Simpsons-Universal-Studios-Orlando-Krusty-Food-jpg_223607.jpg

16-The-Simpsons-Universal-Studios-Orlando-Krusty-jpg_214349.jpg

Inside Moe's:
02-The-Simpsons-Universal-Studios-Orlando-Moes-bar-jpg_214336.jpg

Luigi's:
04-The-Simpsons-Universal-Studios-Orlando-Luigis-jpg_223602.jpg

Only in America :p :
06-The-Simpsons-Universal-Studios-Orlando-WaffleSandwich-jpg_223607.jpg

A look at what you can eat at the Frying Dutchman:
02-The-Simpsons-Universal-Studios-Orlando-Dutchman-Food-jpg_223602.jpg

And Lisa's Teahouse 'of Horror':
22-The-Simpsons-Universal-Studios-Orlando-Teahouse-jpg_214354.jpg

All photos taken by Ricky Brigante from Inside the Magic.

Moe's Tavern looks ridiculously good. I don't think anything Universal do is half arsed.

Wow, the effort they've put in with all this is fantastic (as always!). I'm not a huge Simpsons fan but it does look incredibly detailed in recreation.

Am I to take it the huge building currently being constructed as shown in the previous posts is for Gringotts?

Sazzle said:
Am I to take it the huge building currently being constructed as shown in the previous posts is for Gringotts?
There was an image I spotted the other day on Orlando Informer which shows exactly what all those metal frames lining the lake in the other post will eventually look like...

Now:

020-harry-potter-expansion-universal-studios-florida-05-01-13-9831-oi.jpg

What it will look like:

london-harry-potter-world-universal-studios-florida-waterfront-oi.jpg

The Gringotts building is the larger building on the right:

potter-aerial-3.jpg

Not sure if anyone posted this before but there's also this image on that link to the Orlando Informer I just posted:

wizarding-world-harry-potter-diagon-alley-invitation.png

Screamscape also put an image up on Facebook of the Universal map now showing a Cabana Bay advert:

7265_10151720802047464_205623202_n.jpg

The new Cabana Bay Beach Resort will open first 600 rooms in very early 2014 and the rest by Summer.

Theme Park Insider posted a few images of the railway being constructed for the Hogwarts Express which will link the two Potter areas / parks together taken from the air:

CIMG0506.JPG

It's all looking really impressive! :D

That Gringotts building is absolutely massive! Looks as though it could be larger than the Revenge of the Mummy/former King Kong building.

You know what, I love Universal. I won't pretend that I've actually ever visited, but you get a sense of the place from the photo updates and they never fail to wow me.

They constantly deliver an immersive, detailed and impressive experience; they have so much on their plate yet seem all too happy to keep churning out more projects. Did they need the Kang/Kodos ride at the moment, what with Transformers, Potter and Cabana? No, they didn't, yet they still built that wonderfully themed area.

If they play their cards right, they will probably win the market in Florida in years to come. I don't think that Disney can keep up with their rapid and high-quality expansionist schemes.

I was lucky enough to visit Florida last year, and I have to say that both of the theme parks were the best in Florida by far. They are both very different which makes them so special. They have so much to offer and I think that rapid growth will keep the guests coming. In the past 2 years alone they have put Transformers, Despicable Me and the entire new eating area and rides for Simpsons land. It is one of the few parks that I think will rival Disney in years to come! On another note did anyone see the incredible opening of Transformers the ride!

Proper A-list celebs, jets, explosions, and transformers. Alton Towers take note :)

Not been to Florida for a while now so need to get back although im not sure if I will recognise it now!

Seems like it's getting really good reviews. To be honest though, I think the basic ride premise is too similar to Spiderman across at IOA.