• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

Re: Re: Universal Studios/IOA Orlando: General Discussion

Sam said:
Does anyone give a toss about Transformers, as an IP? I mean, the movies might gross well, but does anyone actually like them?

I always presumed it was the sort of thing that people just saw on a long-haul flight because there's nothing else on.

Ah the ignorance! :p

I never got into transformers but it isn't just a movie its a reasobly old IP that's very popular with kids, hence why it was even turned into a movie.

Perhaps its not quite as big as superheroes but its still one of those popular franchises similar to superheroes.

Even if I didn't watch the TV show I still bought a couple toys when I was a child because vehicles that transform into cars was the shiz! And would think a ride based on these would be awesome!

The thing is with dark rides, I believe you can have more then one ride of the same system because the story and theming will be different.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Thanks ever so much BigAl, I enjoyed reading the articles.

While it hasn't exactly answered my question from above it at least shows that the people behind the ride have the same concerns as me about the rides success in Orlando:

We don't want things to be too similar next to each other, obviously. There are multiple factors that come into play, but having the same attraction in Orlando and in LA is not going to hurt us because they are far enough away. But something as a fully immersive 3-D ride, we have Spider-Man [already] in Orlando. They don't have Spider-Man in LA, so why not put Transformers there? So far, no plans to have Transformers in Orlando. It doesn't mean that it may not happen if there's high demand for it, but.... (shakes head).

After reading that I wouldn't be surprised if the ride in Orlando turns out to be something else (or at least a different twist on the same ride). Has it actually been confirmed it is Transformers?

Fredward said:
Sam said:
Does anyone give a toss about Transformers, as an IP? I mean, the movies might gross well, but does anyone actually like them?

I always presumed it was the sort of thing that people just saw on a long-haul flight because there's nothing else on.

Ah the ignorance! :p

I never got into transformers but it isn't just a movie its a reasobly old IP that's very popular with kids, hence why it was even turned into a movie.

Perhaps its not quite as big as superheroes but its still one of those popular franchises similar to superheroes.

Even if I didn't watch the TV show I still bought a couple toys when I was a child because vehicles that transform into cars was the shiz! And would think a ride based on these would be awesome!

The trouble is that Transformers as an IP has... issues. You have the films which the ride is based on and then you have the toys and old cartoon show. The people who are old fans of the show tend to hate the Michael Bay Films. Basically to them Michael Bay is what Merlin is to some of us. Exactly what they make of the ride I do not know. I think they’d be more in favour as the ride is just robots fighting (that makes up the 5% of the movies they actually like) but at the same time it is heavily based on the films not the franchise they love.
The films however are immensely successful with the mainstream audience which is great news for the ride, at the moment. The trouble is I can’t imagine these films being timeless classics like Jurassic Park which remains popular to this day.
Once the last film is released and the public get bored with the franchise they’ll be relying on the core fan base to keep the ride popular but as the fan base doesn’t like the films and the ride is just an extension of them it could be its downfall in popularity.

That’s my concern anyway. I’m sure Universal already have a backup plan if such an event occurred (probably involving a new popular IP).

Fair point, I haven't been on the rides so assumed they were about transformers in general.

But you also have the 3rd party who aren't fans of the franchise and just love the concept of transformers and don't give two damns about the lore. Usually kids (big kids too!)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I'm sorry but this is a crap IP (maybe not Transformers widely, but the new films which this ride is clearly based on).

Even if people like Transformers, it's not going to be a headline draw for anyone abroad, in the way that Harry Potter and the Disney characters are. Nobody is going to say "Kids, there's a new Transformers ride in Orlando! Let's book the plane tickets now!"

For the amount they're spending on this, it should be drawing people in from abroad. But it won't, as the new films have been widely panned critically, and even if they do well on release, nobody will remember them in ten years time. They've made no wider cultural impact, like HP and (to a lesser degree) Avatar have. This is a poorly thought-out rush decision.

But people are still flocking to Universal BECAUSE of Harry Potter, and to a lesser extent Disney being so close. Transformers does have at least some appeal, and will be at least something to bridge the gap until HP phase 2 opens

Transformers appeals more to me from when I was a kid, the recent films have been fun, but they did not make me a fan of it.

I think what disappoints/upsets me the most is that these are classic rides that are going to be gone for good, and we will never get to experience them again. (Yes, I know they were getting on, looking worse for wear, and needing a refurbish, but the memories, and nostalgia means something)

King Kong, Jaws, Back to the Future, and now Terminator are all rides I loved, and enjoyed, and I just wish there was a way they could of added the new stuff, but kept the old stuff for future generations to enjoy.

Ian

IanB said:
King Kong, Jaws, Back to the Future, and now Terminator are all rides I loved, and enjoyed, and I just wish there was a way they could of added the new stuff, but kept the old stuff for future generations to enjoy.

Ian

Terminator isn't going anywhere. Especially for Transformers.

Ah, that's good to hear. Nothing better than making a fool of yourself in public, and being happy about it :p

What is making way for Transformers?

Ian

IanB said:
Ah, that's good to hear. Nothing better than making a fool of yourself in public, and being happy about it :p

What is making way for Transformers?

Ian

It's replaced Soundstage 44, so no ride has made way :)

Sam said:
I'm sorry but this is a crap IP (maybe not Transformers widely, but the new films which this ride is clearly based on).

Even if people like Transformers, it's not going to be a headline draw for anyone abroad, in the way that Harry Potter and the Disney characters are. Nobody is going to say "Kids, there's a new Transformers ride in Orlando! Let's book the plane tickets now!"

For the amount they're spending on this, it should be drawing people in from abroad. But it won't, as the new films have been widely panned critically, and even if they do well on release, nobody will remember them in ten years time. They've made no wider cultural impact, like HP and (to a lesser degree) Avatar have. This is a poorly thought-out rush decision.

Why is it a crap IP though? The films won't go down in history, but everyone knows Transformers, whether it be the toys they played with or the cartoons they watched as a child, or the modern cartoons and toys or now these three films.

The latest films have given way to a new line of toys, merchandise and shows, and according to IMDB, the three films have grossed $2,669,760,469! Why wouldn't Universal make use of the popularity of this franchise?

They aren't spending the same amounts as they did for the Wizarding World, and it's just the one attraction.

IMDB gave the first Transformers film 7.2 out of 10, the lesser Revenge of the Fallen movie 5.9 out of 10, and finally, Dark of the Moon received 6.3. If by your account films that won't be regarded in the same way as Jurassic Park or Jaws shouldn't receive their own attraction in some form, then why does Twister or Despicable Me? Few people remember or care about Twister and I have no doubt that we will be able to say the same for Despicable Me in a decade or so. Transformers is an old IP, so I'm sure people will still know it after another few years.

People won't go to Universal for Transformers alone, in the same way as people won't go for the Lost Continent, City Walk or Seuss Landing, but it isn't about individual attractions pulling people in (although, of course, Wizarding World is able to do that), it's the resort as a whole that makes people want to visit. There's a little something for everyone. You aren't expected to enjoy it all, but that doesn't mean that other people won't enjoy the aspects which you may despise.

:)

Parkscope said:
Universal Orlando Resort Permit Update 9/19/12: Mummy Getting New Projectors
Universal filed a few notice of commencements of note today.

First, the most exciting one is the installation of new projectors in a few scenes of Revenge of the Mummy. This has been rumored for quite some time, but now we have some solid proof that the ride will be receiving some upgrades.

mummy+projectors.png

The next one is a bit more nebulous, but I figured I'd put it up anyway. It's for a new prefabricated building behind Building 30 in Universal. As we have said before, we're not exactly experts when it comes to the building numbers in the parks, so we'll just leave this to the experts.

prefab+building.png

http://www.parkscope.net/2012/09/univer ... pdate.html

They're really doing quite a lot to Universal Studios. The scale of work being done is actually quite amazing. 24/7 on getting Transformers done for next year, the 2014 Wizarding World is taking shape already, upgrades for Simpsons and now the Mummy is getting TLC as well. Good on them!

:)

Update from 25th September

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

Also, a friend of mine from Orlando thought I might be interested and pointed me in the direction of the original concept art for the first phase of the WWOHP. This can be found here.

Screamscape are reporting an article that states capital expenditure of $1.5 billon has been aproved for the parks over the next 10 years. A massive amount of money and after transformers and Harry potter expansion and the other projects currently under construction still 850m left. The resort are rumoured to be looking at the following ideas-

Replacement for terminator (Hollywood announced theirs is closing on 31st dec to be replaced by a copy of orlandos despicable me ride)

Rethemed kids area inc ET replacement

Couple of new rides in Seuss Landing

New ride in Jurassic Park

Potential retheme of marvel island (longway off after updating Spider-Man this year but depends on how much Disney increase licensing costs, Disney lawyers will be looking for any loop holes so can get Universal to stop using marvel so can use in their own Orlando Parks

Exciting times in Orlando just need Disney to announce some of their big projects

What will that mean for Hulk and Spiderman? They're two of the parks most iconic rides. Changing their theme would be like retheming Oblivion or Nemesis!

Stupid Disney!

Also quite sad to hear about them wanting to replace ET as well. I thought it was a great ride and the queue proves that a cattle pen isn't always a bad thing. :p

Glad to hear the rest though! :)

If it happens at all its a long way off from happening. I would imagine the rides would be rethemed, people always assumed they would change the area to sifi city like Singapore and change Spider-Man to a transformers theme but that's now going in at he studios park. They could to back to the original plan when the park was in concept mode and change the area to Batman or DC themed. Spider-Man old be changed into a dark knight themed adventure and the other 3 rides could easily be rethemed to fit a batman/dc comics theme.

Also screamscape are reporting that the hp bank themed coaster might be an Intamin free fall coaster like Thirteen. The park want a free fall drop on the ride apparently (their were rumours of this style of coaster fr a grinch themed ride at IOA but looks like could be for this project) screamscape not o sure due to tech problems thirteen had. However I think most of the problems been ironed out and the speed at which the Intamin version resets and track transfers happen, plus easier to them the drop room I would think Intamin is fairly likely.

That'll be the biggest waste of $1.5billion I have ever seen in my life other than the new rides in Seuss Landing and Jurassic Park.

Expansion to Harry Potter makes sence as you only have to look at what Harry potter has done for the resort and if it wasn't for Harry potter they wouldn't be spending $1.5b.
Transformers has been incredibly popular at Hollywood and gets fantastic guest satisfaction scores, it might be similar to Spider-Man but will do very well for the park as the studios needs some more upto date e ticket attractions. Plus needed something could fast track and get open next year.

All other projects are just rumoured so don't know what will be built.

I would imagine Harry Potter would cause enough further income to essentially pay for half of any future investment in the next 10 years... And judging by the quality of reviews of people who have been, an expansion could well be worthwhile... Even if they end up with a Freefall Coaster (Odds on it being Zierer?)

Sounds good though, would be a shame to see Terminator go, lovely bit of classic cheese that was... It seems outside of Potter/Transformers the main focus is bringing IOA up to an exceptionally high standard of theme park, with the other areas getting ridiculous levels of renovation...

Insane level of investment though for 10 years... Gotta play against Disney though, and the promise of losing Marvel (which could so easily become a 5th gate for WDW) and the possibility of Avatar land (*spits*) Universal do need to be prepared...