• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

The following images are courtesy of Bobwadd from Orlando United. I've put them into spoiler tags as there's quite a lot of images! :p

Hogsmeade Station...

HE-034.jpg

HE-035.jpg

HE-020.jpg

HE-021.jpg

HE-022.jpg

HE-023.jpg

HE-024.jpg

HE-025.jpg

HE-026.jpg

HE-027.jpg

HE-028.jpg

HE-029.jpg

HE-030.jpg

HE-031.jpg

HE-032.jpg

HE-033.jpg

Hogwarts Express...

HE-036.jpg

HE-037.jpg

King's Cross Station...

KingsCrossStation-001.jpg

KingsCrossStation-002.jpg

KingsCrossStation-003.jpg

Gringotts Coaster...

AmityDemo-124.jpg

AmityDemo-125.jpg

AmityDemo-126.jpg

AmityDemo-127.jpg

AmityDemo-128.jpg

AmityDemo-129.jpg

AmityDemo-153.jpg

AmityDemo-157.jpg

AmityDemo-158.jpg

AmityDemo-159.jpg

WWoHP II...

AmityDemo-130.jpg

AmityDemo-131.jpg

AmityDemo-132.jpg

AmityDemo-133.jpg

AmityDemo-134.jpg

AmityDemo-135.jpg

AmityDemo-136.jpg

AmityDemo-137.jpg

AmityDemo-138.jpg

AmityDemo-139.jpg

AmityDemo-140.jpg

AmityDemo-141.jpg

AmityDemo-142.jpg

AmityDemo-143.jpg

AmityDemo-145.jpg

AmityDemo-146.jpg

AmityDemo-147.jpg

AmityDemo-148.jpg

AmityDemo-149.jpg

AmityDemo-150.jpg

AmityDemo-152.jpg

AmityDemo-154.jpg

AmityDemo-155.jpg

AmityDemo-156.jpg

Just watching 4Music's Breakfast Fix, which features tidbits of gossip. It said something about a 9th Potter movie being filmed solely for Universal Theme Parks and as much as I question the legitimacy of this, I wondered if anyone knew what was going on with it?

It could be footage for queue-line videos, perhaps?

Anyway, another construction update can be viewed here! :)

Edit: Looks like the new mini Potter film rumours for the new attractions at Universal may have been correct! This was from Screamscape today (12/12/12):

2014/2015 - PotterVerse: London / Project 722 - (12/12/12) UK newspapers are all abuzz over the gathering of several key Harry Potter franchise stars back to the Warner Brothers Studio for some top secret filming of a “mini-movie”. In actuality, select film performers are returning to film the needed media clips that will be used in the new and yet to be announced Harry Potter expansion phase under construction at Universal Studios Florida. Helena Bonham Carter who played Bellatrix Lestrange has already been spotted.
It stands to reason that Bellatrix Lestrange will play a primary villain role in the new Gringotts Bank coaster ride, as a trip into the Lestrange family bank vault deep in the bowels of Gringotts was a major plot point in the final film, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2.
Also spotted on site, though possibly for another reason was Mark Williams who plays Arthur Weasley (father to the Weasley clan), who works for the Ministry of Magic and who I believe has a bit of a curiosity for Muggles and Muggle technology, which could make him a good character to deal with any pre-attraction videos used in the queue. That’s all speculation on my part however, but it was confirmed that Wiliams was on site on Dec. 8th to give a very special surprise tour to the one millionth visitor to the Warner Bros. Studio Tour, which ended up being a young Harry Potter film fan.
Just for fun, here is another look back at the “coaster” style transport as seen in the movie.

Exclusive: Deathly Hallows Part 2 - "Gringotts Ride" Clip (HD)

From TPT:

Theme Park Tourist said:
Stars of the Harry Potter movies have reportedly descended on the Warner Bros. Studio in the UK to begin filming footage for under-construction new rides at Universal Studios Florida.

The scenes are likely to be used as part of two new additions to the park, which will form part of a new area themed around London as seen in the Potter movies. The first of these will be a roller coaster themed around Gringotts Bank, while the second will be a recreation of the Hogwarts Express train, linking the area to the existing Wizarding World of Harry Potter at neighboring Islands of Adventure.

Among those who have been spied entering the studio, which now houses the behind-the-scenes Warner Bros. Studio Tour, are Helena Bonham Carter (who plays evil Bellatrix Lestrange) and Mark Williams (who portrays Arthur Weasley, a close ally of Harry Potter). Lestrange is likely to feature as a character in the Gringotts Bank coaster, while Weasley seems more likely to play a role in pre-show videos for one or both of the new attractions.

The new land at Universal Studios Florida will recreate Diagon Alley, the shadowy area of London seen in several of the Harry Potter movies. It will sit on the site of the former Jaws ride, which closed in January 2012.

Construction work is already underway on the Gringotts Bank coaster, with a large show building currently being put in place. To maintain the momentum that the Universal Orlando Resort has built up since the 2010 debut of the Wizarding World, a version of Universal Studios Hollywood's Transformers: The Ride - 3D will open in 2013 to keep fans entertained while the extensive Potter land is completed.
http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20121212/12316/harry-potter-stars-begin-filming-footage-universal-studios-florida-expansion

Very exciting! :p

I would like to clarify a couple of things.

At the moment, whilst incredible, the Wizarding World in IOA has a Hogsmeade themed street, but with shops/restaurants from both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.

Presumably, with the new 2015 project, they'll be looking to make the Universal Studios side the London incl. Diagon Alley and the IOA side the Hogwarts/Hogsmeade side - correctly linked by the Hogwarts Express.

Does this mean that Ollivanders, for one, will close at IOA - be rethemed into a Hogsmeade village outlet, and then re-opened in Diagon Alley?

I presume this must be the case? Anyone know?

I'd love a Shreiking Shack walk through!

If Ollivanders were to move, the shop could be transformed into Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop, as I'm sure it would be something that people would enjoy whilst others try out the rides.

However, there is actually an Ollivanders in Hogsmeade, so they may open up two...

The Shrieking Shack would be a great experience, but it would have to be constructed in a separate place that is still visible from Hogsmeade.
It would look fantastic!

When Diagon Alley opens, multiple shop opportunities are also available.
For example, Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour could be opened, selling a wide range of ice creams including some that you wouldn't normally find.

The Leaking Cauldron is a must, considering it's probably the main pub that everyone remembers from Harry Potter. It could be similar to the Three Broomsticks.

Ollivanders should be opened, more true to the books, as stated earlier.

Finally, Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes could be opened as a joke shop, as it would be very popular and also visually stunning!

It would be great having the brick wall at the back of the Leaky Cauldron leading into the area too!

Longy said:
It would be great having the brick wall at the back of the Leaky Cauldron leading into the area too!

Imagine the scale of bottleneck that would be created if it were true to the film's portrayal ;)

Looks like the Gringotts coaster is going to have a freefall drop, as well as a dual loading station too!

Screamscape:
2014/2015 - PotterVerse: London / Project 722 - (12/13/12) SpinsTheWorld is back with some top secret close-up pictures of the Gringotts Bank coaster building, including a look at the installed track for is likely to be a dual-sided load station, much like Mummy. They have also confirmed the existence of the long-rumored freefall track section, with the added hint that Kuka robot arm technology may also be put to use for this effect somehow. Color me curious…

BigAl said:
Looks like the Gringotts coaster is going to have a freefall drop, as well as a dual loading station too!

Screamscape:
2014/2015 - PotterVerse: London / Project 722 - (12/13/12) SpinsTheWorld is back with some top secret close-up pictures of the Gringotts Bank coaster building, including a look at the installed track for is likely to be a dual-sided load station, much like Mummy. They have also confirmed the existence of the long-rumored freefall track section, with the added hint that Kuka robot arm technology may also be put to use for this effect somehow. Color me curious…

Zierer then?

Screamscape reports that the arcade by the Revenge of the Mummy shop has had construction walls put around it:

General Park News - (12/14/12) I’m not entirely sure what is going on, but Screamscape sources tell us that the arcade connected to the gift shop at the exit of the Mummy ride has been closed, and the windows covered up with paper. A construction wall has also gone up around the “theater entrance” to Mummy and both corners of the soundstage building are said to now have odd panels put up on the roof, as well as a similar looking structure on the back as well. With construction on the Hogwarts Express attraction going on full tilt just behind the scenes here, could this be related?

Work has also started on the new Universal hotel:

(12/14/12) I’m told that a large crane and concrete pump truck are now on the site of the future new Universal Resort hotel. Looks like work is still slowly moving ahead here. We may see some vertical construction before you know it.

Lordy said:
Where abouts is this new hotel going?
Here's a map I found on after Googling it:

UniversalOrlandoExpansion1.png

I'd probably ignore the section in blue as I seriously doubt that Universal will ever have the opportuinity to own that land (too many other things on it), but do they even need it when there's the purple zone to use?

I just remembered that Danny made a topic about it here.

:)

News from Screamscape about the Gringotts coaster:

2014/2015 - PotterVerse: London / Project 722 - (12/18/12) Slowly but surely, little bits and pieces of information are starting to leak out about what is going on inside the Gringotts Bank structure. Don’t expect to find any close up pictures however, as sources tell me that Universal has essentially put Skynet on the job here and has security cameras watching over the entire building site. So we’re left with basic descriptions, but the stories are starting to come together enough to form a bit of a picture.
So far I’m told that the track installed does appear to be a dual sided loaded station setup in the back left side of the building area, and a flat straight piece of track along the back wall just before the track switch, which may actually be for a separate single-track unload area. So after the dual load station, the track appears to turn to the left and head towards the back of the building and into a right turn so far before we come to the end of what has been built and reported on.
Elsewhere in the building, sources tell me they’ve spotted what appeared to be up to four individual elevator shafts with access to two levels which are located next to the loading platform area. I wonder what kind of magic we will find inside a wizard’s elevator. I’ve also heard about a large themed “pit” dug down in approximately the center of the building.
The latest word on the ride system is that the cars themselves may be unlike anything we’ve seen before… incorporating a motion base system on top of a roller coaster car track system.

Well the station track certainly looks unlike anything we've seen before so I can believe the cars will be as well.

I'd imagine the Robocoaster guys will be getting used again, they did a fantastic job on the Forbidden Journey ride system.

Universal are creating some fantastic attractions at the moment.

Resort news from Screamscape:

General Resort News - (12/19/12) Universal Orlando has announced that due to peak crowds, they will suspend operations of the new Ride Reservation System (aka: Q-Bot) from Dec. 27-30th. That said... they will still be selling Universal Express passes as an alternate choice. I’m kind of confused why they are offering Universal Express AND the new Q-Bot based system. It’s getting kind of silly, they should choose one or go back to offering their initial free kiosk based version to come more in line with Disney’s FastPass. (Or my best choice... just scrap them all and go back to the good old days when everyone was equal...)
On a positive note, Universal Orlando will offer a ton of new Coke Freestyle machines throughout both parks this month along with new RFID enabled souvenir cups that will offer the option of unlimited drink refills for the day (or period of days in some cases.) for $10.99. Look for Coke Freestyle machines in the following locations:
Universal Studios Florida - Richter’s Burger Co., Louie’s Italian Restaurant, Monsters Café and starting at Mel’s Drive-In on Dec. 21st.
Islands of Adventure - Oasis Coolers, Comic Strip Café, Circus McGurkus and Burger Digs

Also...

Grinch on the Loose at Universal Orlando

:D

That looks great! The costume is fantastic and the acting is hilarious. Love this to bits. The more I see of Universal, the more I hate Merlin. Yes, they have the IPs on their side but whatever they do is completely unrivaled by anything we have in the UK. In years to come, Disney will be quaking in their boots from these guys. The continuous investment is really knocking them to a new level.

along with new RFID enabled souvenir cups that will offer the option of unlimited drink refills for the day (or period of days in some cases.) for $10.99

That's what you call a slick system, far from the shoddy mess we have at AT ;)

Even just having cups as good as theirs would be great! Never mind having RFID too! :p