• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

I only got chance to ride the Hungarian Horntail when I visited. I liked it but didn't love it, it was pretty forgettable (especially for a B&M) although in fairness, everyone seems unanimous that Chinese Fireball is the better coaster so I can't judge the attraction as a whole.

I hope that the coasters aren't replaced by anything Potter. I love the IP, I love what Universal has already done with it but I wouldn't want to see it take up any more space in Orlando. The Wizarding World has proven to be an astounding investment and an absolute cash cow for Universal but if they milk it too hard, people will eventually get bored.

If the removal of the ride is true i cant see it being anything other than a Harry Potter Expansion, considering the ride is in the middle of the area! also Wouldnt mean more land is taken up by Harry Potter as it is already Part of the Harry Potter area. In the past it was always rumoured the remaining Lost continent area would become the next Harry Potter Expansion (i believe this was the original plan before they came up with the idea of Diagon Alley being in the Studios), this is prob the best solution is doesn't man more of the park is taken over by Harry Potter. Although i really like the coasters, the two Harry Potter rides are two of my fav dark rides so cant wait to see what they come up with next.

They could add an attraction based on the new film series Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them which is based in the Wizarding world, but as thats set in New York makes more sense if they did an attraction it was over at the Studios.

Not sure how this would fit into Universal expansion plans with lots of plans already in place for the next few years , 2019 could be a possibility with 2017: Jimmy Fallon Ride , 2018- Fast and Furious and The Secret Life of Pets ride at IOA (Rumoured to open in Hollywood first possibly in 2017) and then Nintendo Land in 2020.

I would guess that Fantastic Beasts will be saved for the third park. I don't know much about it but it doesn't sound like it would fit in with the current Harry Potter areas.

Fast and Furious was initially meant to be 2017 so it wouldn't surprise me if the Dragon Challenge replacement will come in 2018 also, especially if it is closing this year.

:)

I would also expect if they do something with Fantastic Beasts it will either go in a third park or the original studios park. There was rumours of the Fear Factor arena being used for a Ministry of Magic attraction which would expand the London area of the studios park. But it wouldn't be a surprise if Duelling Dragons goes, it doesn't quite fit with the Harry Potter theme. Would be a shame to lose a coaster from the park though. Maybe we could have a Quidditch themed coaster instead?

Because of Dragon Challenge's noise issues, is it possible that we could be getting another dark ride if it's replaced?

If they ever do a ministry of magic the entrance has to be through a toilet block. Each cubicle leads to a different fire place!

But I do foresee that being located just to the side of the pre-existing London area.

I think it's a fair question to ask "How much more Potter can they build?". You have to reach a point where there is no need for more Harry Potter stuff, because you have "enough".

If people haven't visited to ride the existing stuff, I'm not sure that more will entice them to do so, as the existing will still be 'new' to them.

I suspect there is a good chunk of people who don't care about the boy wizard. They're building other things as well, I guess.

I think it's a fair question to ask "How much more Potter can they build?". You have to reach a point where there is no need for more Harry Potter stuff, because you have "enough".

If people haven't visited to ride the existing stuff, I'm not sure that more will entice them to do so, as the existing will still be 'new' to them.

I suspect there is a good chunk of people who don't care about the boy wizard. They're building other things as well, I guess.

I think a new Potter attraction every three or four years would encourage repeat visitors. But yes there are people who will never care about visiting those attractions, in the same way that I don't care for the Fast & Furious attraction coming 2018.

Surely it be a H&S nightmare? It's bad enough people tripping over in the Smiler projection room, without having a VR strapped to your head and then negotiating through the towers with uneven ground and steps etc...

That link mentions you need to work in teams, surly if it involves that they will have to use AR, rather than VR?

VR could have worked for Molly at Towers, although it would involve quite a heavy cost for temporary attraction, so it's not something a park like Towers would really go for. Universal are the type of park that can throw money at something like this however.

Theme Park University have published a very interesting article about Universal Orlando testing a new virtual queue system. This includes their recently announced TapuTapu which, like the Disney Fastpass in Walt Disney World, uses a wearable wristband.

Article clicky linky.

The idea of only being able to use a virtual queuing system is an interesting one. Presumably you'd have to have a very steady throughput, otherwise you'd either end up with empty seats or a queue gradually building up that you can't get rid of. It also creates challenges if a ride broke down and people keep on turning up with their reservations. Although to an extent that can happen with Disney's Fast Pass system. Thanks for sharing the article. Universals has done some very innovative stuff recently. Aside from this queuing system, Volcano Bay looks like a fairly standard (if not incredibly well themed) water park. Within the industry a lot of focus will be on this queuing system.

Everything about these virtual queues is bad. They may as well present each guest with a pre planned itinery on entry. "You will visit these attractions, in this order, when we say so. You have no choice in the matter."

Na, love the basic one at Blackpool, you still have to wait your turn in the virtual queue, but spend the time getting p!ssed in the bar instead of wearing out your old man knees.
It also saves the people in the "real" queue being gassed by my rancid farts.
Public service duty really.

As we ensured other guests found out on Grand Prix a couple of years back! :p

Apologies for the double post, but big news! Universal have made a further announcement regarding their Nintendo Lands!
Universal said:
News About the Nintendo and Universal Partnership

Last year, I let you know about a new partnership between Universal Parks & Resorts and Nintendo. Today, I am going to update you on this historic collaboration – and share a glimpse at the creative vision behind it.

Imagine the fun of stepping into a larger-than-life Nintendo adventure. Gigantic Piranha Plants spring to life. Question blocks, power-ups and more surround you. And Mario and all his friends are there to pull you into a brand-new world.

You’ll enter an entire realm filled with iconic Nintendo excitement, gameplay, heroes and villains. And it’s coming to three Universal theme parks around the globe.
  • Nintendo-themed areas are coming to Universal Studios Japan, Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood.
  • These will be expansive, immersive and interactive. They’ll be highly themed and authentic environments filled with multiple attractions, shops and restaurants.
  • You’ll feel as if you’re playing inside your favorite games – in real life.
  • There will be something for everyone—regardless of their age or gaming experience level.
  • Planning and creative work on these areas is well underway; they will open separately over the next several years.
Shigeru Miyamoto, of Nintendo, and Mark Woodbury, President of Universal Creative, recently sat down to talk about the two teams working together. Along with reviewing potential designs for the land, they also discussed what fans can look forward to experiencing as these exciting plans come to life.

The goal of everyone on this project is clear: to bring the characters, action and adventure of Nintendo video games to life within Universal theme parks. And to do so in new and innovative ways that capture what makes them so special.

All of the adventure, fun and whimsy you experience through a screen will now be all around you – in breathtakingly authentic ways.

Each Universal theme park will announce details of its specific Nintendo areas. The first such announcement will come soon.

Nintendo_Featured2.jpg

I can't actually believe that it has been so long since the initial announcement. Great to see that they are ready to step things up though as these are all going to be very exciting projects! Although I've put this in the Universal Orlando thread, Universal Japan is set to get the first Nintendo land. Orlando's should be the biggest/best though.

Now I can't wait for some concept art!

:)

Disney have to be at least a little wary of this. Universal are securing some killer IPs these days; this will undoubtedly absolutely rake the cash in.