• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

You may have noticed over the weekend that some details regarding the Nintendo themed land in Orlando have been 'leaked'. First of all we have a proposed area layout:

DB8J0J_W0AA2mFK.jpg

And then some Mario Kart concepts:

DB8HZsXXcAAxVqG.jpg

DB8JX5FXYAA2lZB.jpg

Donkey Kong coaster concept:

DB8HegKXYAApX1u.jpg

Zelda attraction concept:

DB8HjJBXUAECuI-.jpg

All images credit to Gary Snyder

First of all, I have done some digging and this is all genuine. The concepts were apparently used in the original pitch by Universal to Nintendo (and Nintendo clearly liked them). Then the area layout is the first version of the land - this has changed somewhat as it is a few years out of date.

None of the Zelda stuff is happening, same goes for Kirby and Pokemon. It is thought that the Zelda area on the map coud be where Orlando's Yoshi dark ride will be located. However what has leaked certainly gives an idea of the scale of the Mario Kart ride which is set to be the most technologically advanced theme park ride ever.

The various flat rides shown in the plans are also thought to have been cut from the final product. And it is now thought that this will open in 2021 rather than 2020, Universal have other stuff (read third Potter area) to get on with beforehand.

:)

Interesting...

What currently sits in that area behind The Simpsons ride? Are they bulldozing more loved attractions?

Any ideas on what the formerly proposed Zelda attraction was going to be? Looks almost like a theatre of some description.

I hear the words "most technologically advanced theme park ride in the world..." for Mario Kart and wonder how they're going to top Forbidden Journey and Gringotts! I have no doubt that millions will be thrown at the project to make sure that claim isn't just a gimmick.

Looking forward to seeing this come to life!

Any ideas on what the formerly proposed Zelda attraction was going to be? Looks almost like a theatre of some description.

I hear the words "most technologically advanced theme park ride in the world..." for Mario Kart and wonder how they're going to top Forbidden Journey and Gringotts! I have no doubt that millions will be thrown at the project to make sure that claim isn't just a gimmick.

Looking forward to seeing this come to life!

Unsure on exactly what the Zelda attraction was going to be but I agree that it looks like some form of theatre.

From what I have read the claim will be far from a gimmick! Universal are currently working on the technology to allow one of the riders in a kart to control the drifting. It is thought another will be able to control weapons. They also want it so it looks like you are racing against Mario & Co. (real not on screens) so that is going to take a lot of work. I can't remember if they have been posted on here or not but there are numerous patents submitted by Universal that could be for the Mario Kart ride.

I think the biggest thing we are going to see from the Nintendo themed lands is that Universal have learnt that their guests have got somewhat tired of screen based ride after screen based ride. There will be screen used I am sure but they will not be at the forefront of the rides.

They also want it so it looks like you are racing against Mario & Co. (real not on screens) so that is going to take a lot of work.

I have wondered if they will make each ride car in to some kind of train, where you sit in the center carriage and then animatronic figures would be in the carriage in front and behind you. That would be a pretty good illusion of racing along next to those characters.

I have wondered if they will make each ride car in to some kind of train, where you sit in the center carriage and then animatronic figures would be in the carriage in front and behind you. That would be a pretty good illusion of racing along next to those characters.

Rumour has it that you will, for periods, race along competing cars carrying animatronics. Must say, I'm very excited about this, and hope the contract really requires Universal Creative to push the boundaries. The ride is said to be largely physical, which is good news for those who feel the company have become too reliant on the screen technology that they have largely mastered now.

Universal have submitted a new patent for a "Multi-passenger Ride Vehicle" and it looks like something that would be perfect for a Mario Kart ride:

DCYmE2lVYAAJ6Aw.jpg

Patent Description said:
One or more passengers of the multi-passenger ride vehicle may actively control various user input devices of the multi-passenger ride vehicle, such as steering wheels, joysticks, gas pedals, brake pedals, buttons, levers, switches, touch-screen displays, and the like. The user input devices may generate feedback relating to movement of the multi-passenger ride vehicle (e.g., speed, acceleration, deceleration, direction, and/or orientation), feedback relating to rewards in the interactive ride, feedback relating to obstacles in the interactive ride, feedback relating to other multi-passenger ride vehicles or other objects in the interactive ride, or a combination thereof based on input from the one or more passengers. The feedback generated by the user input devices may be used to control features or operations of the multi-passenger ride vehicle such as movement of the multi-passenger ride vehicle, obtaining rewards, avoiding obstacles, and/or engaging with other multi-passenger ride vehicles and/or objects in the interactive ride. By employing the interactive ride in conjunction with particular themes, such as various racing themes, guests are incentivized to visit the amusement park and are further enabled to enjoy the thematic experience provided by the amusement park. Further, because the interactive ride is configurable and dynamic, one ride environment may be configured to host rides, races and/or games having a number of different themes or narratives.

More information about the patent can be read here.

It's also thought that the ride could utilise augmented reality in some way, whether that be with glasses or an AR windshield. This could help simulate the use of weapons during the ride whilst keeping physical sets.

I've just come back from universal. Planning doing island tomorrow. Must admit little disappointed. The storms didn't help. But. Rode Jimmy Fallon first. Having ridden some virtual reality at Disney little bored with it. Got on the Simpsons. Good ride, but Simpsons has had its day. MIB is good tomorrow hopefully feel better to do more. As suffering from a little motion sickness and tiredness

. In Britain we moan lack of dark rides. But here, all they have. Jimmy Fallon,mummy, transformers, Simpson, Spiderman, escape greengotts (or whatever its called) all the same. Technically amazing just the same. Seems like universal have gone down the cgi root. But why can't we have the next haunted mansion. Or even a jaws ride. Physical affects rather then pu these specs move around feel dizzy and come off.

I might change my mind after islands. I know I'm tired and poor weather hasn't helped but still.

I've just come back from universal. Planning doing island tomorrow. Must admit little disappointed. The storms didn't help. But. Rode Jimmy Fallon first. Having ridden some virtual reality at Disney little bored with it. Got on the Simpsons. Good ride, but Simpsons has had its day. MIB is good tomorrow hopefully feel better to do more. As suffering from a little motion sickness and tiredness

. In Britain we moan lack of dark rides. But here, all they have. Jimmy Fallon,mummy, transformers, Simpson, Spiderman, escape greengotts (or whatever its called) all the same. Technically amazing just the same. Seems like universal have gone down the cgi root. But why can't we have the next haunted mansion. Or even a jaws ride. Physical affects rather then pu these specs move around feel dizzy and come off.

I might change my mind after islands. I know I'm tired and poor weather hasn't helped but still.

I don't agree with the mummy being tarnished with the same brush as the rest of them. Yes it features screens but also a lot more physical effects and props.

Aye, after riding it today agreed. Better day today. Rip ride rocket was a let down. As was kong (too much info to take in!) apart from that transformers, Spiderman,hulk excellent. Jurassic park stole the show. Guess a good night sleep and a decent breakfast helpm

Screamscape is reporting that a source has told them that the long rumoured removal of the B&M Inverts Dragon Challenge/Duelling Dragons will take place this Autumn, and that it will be replaced with a Mack Inverted Powered coaster!
Supposedly themed to the forbidden forest from Harry Potter.

Sounds interesting. I feel like alot could be done using that ride system.

I hate how Universal seems not to care much for adding thrill rides any more. Anyway, it does leave a big gap for other Orlando area parks to fill.

Huge thrill coasters arnt what parks like Universal and Disney do best. I will miss Dragon Challange, however I can ride a B&M inverted in multiple other parks, I would rather ride rides like forbidon Journey, gringotts etc when in Orlando as very few other parks in the world can deliver world class themed dark rides like Disney & Universal.

in fact on our next trip to Orlando in Oct 2018 we will for the first time not be going to Seaworld and Busch gardens, on last trips we wouldn't have even considered not going as wouldn't want to miss the big rides. But now with volcano bay open as additional park
To visit and the ever increasing cost of tickets it's got the point where a group of parks needs to be dropped and prefer the experience at Disney and Universal, (For 2018 uk tickets for Disney and Universal per Adult is £650 currently). However if Busch does open a Giga in 2019 I am sure that will temp us back at some point!!

On a separate note the second Mack powered inverted has opened a few months ago at Motiongate Dubai (Dragon Glider) and based on reviews I have read and the POV on YouTube it looks excellent (will get to try it my self later in the year) so high hopes for a Universal version.

Huge thrill coasters arnt what parks like Universal and Disney do best. I will miss Dragon Challange, however I can ride a B&M inverted in multiple other parks, I would rather ride rides like forbidon Journey, gringotts etc when in Orlando as very few other parks in the world can deliver world class themed dark rides like Disney & Universal.

in fact on our next trip to Orlando in Oct 2018 we will for the first time not be going to Seaworld and Busch gardens, on last trips we wouldn't have even considered not going as wouldn't want to miss the big rides. But now with volcano bay open as additional park
To visit and the ever increasing cost of tickets it's got the point where a group of parks needs to be dropped and prefer the experience at Disney and Universal, (For 2018 uk tickets for Disney and Universal per Adult is £650 currently). However if Busch does open a Giga in 2019 I am sure that will temp us back at some point!!

On a separate note the second Mack powered inverted has opened a few months ago at Motiongate Dubai (Dragon Glider) and based on reviews I have read and the POV on YouTube it looks excellent (will get to try it my self later in the year) so high hopes for a Universal version.

I understand what you are saying, but I do think that Universal need to provide a little more variety, especially if they are planning on removing 2/3 big coasters in one of their parks. Universal's dark rides are absolutely fantastic, but I don't want to do ten dark rides in a day and hardly anything else. There just isn't much variety at their two main Orlando parks.

I'm going to Orlando next summer, and if I'm honest I think I'm not going to be visiting either Universal or Disney. I'm not going to Disney because of the stupidly high cost and last year I found myself quite bored at Universal after about 3 days due to the lack of thrilling rides. I'll probably visit Volcano Bay to try it out, but other than that I'll be quite content at Busch Gardens & SeaWorld for a couple of weeks as they are the 2 best parks and offer the best value, especially after Mako.

Everyone's different which is a good thing as get a variety across the parks, and it is prob a good thing for the Seaworld group that they can focus on thrills while Disney and Universal don't, helping them attract much needed business back.

Its also worth pointing out that Dragon Challange attracts some of the smallest queues in the park, while it does have great capacity on all my visits since it changed to Dragon challenge in 2010 it's never been more than 5 mins (most of the time
Spent walking through the huge queue line). Yet most other rides (also with high capacity) in the park have queues 45-60mins. So it's easy to see why Universal would see it as a ride to remove, especially as in a prime location for Harry Potter expansion. 2019 also makes sense with Star Wars land opening at Disney

It would be a shame to see DC go, although compared with the 'immersive nature' of the other attractions at universal it's severely lacking in that field and I totally believe that it will go soon.

So much more could be done with a powered invert and it would of course fit with the surrounding much more effectively.

I think there's still a place for these sort of attractions, (thrill is definitely my personal choice) but at Universal, not so much. We go to Universal as a family (I guess most visitors are family's too) and I'd much rather the park be full of attractions we can all enjoy.

Universal & Disney, for me at least, are much more than somewhere just to 'go on rides' (unlike AT come to think of it) - it's an experience like no other - From spending the time at the hotels - getting the water taxi to the park, seeing the shows, city walk, the fireworks, the atmosphere, the lighting, the theming and of course the attractions. Universal (IMHO at least) is the only 'resort' where you don't even think you're going to a 'theme park' - you're going to a different world.

I''m only glad they are following a tried and tested strategy.

As a side note, they need to do better than Volcano Bay for a water-park. Like many I was hoping for, and expecting, something along the lines of Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach.

If they are going with the Mack Inverted Powered Coaster (an awesome sounding idea IMO) I can't help but think they'd have a lot of space left over for something else. Duelling Dragons is a massive ride, taking up a very large site. There is also a lot of height they can use on that land. At most this ride would be as large as Escape from Gringotts, if even that due to the felxibility of the ride system. This would leave the rest of the site for something new in the future, maybe even a new thrill Coaster if they feel Dragons removal has left a hole in their market.

The odd thing is when I grew up Duelling Dragons was one of my dream rides, something I hoped one day to get on. Now that I have been on it I'm not sad at its potential removal. Not because I thought the ride was bad, but because Universal have moved on to better things, and Dragon Challenge simply isn't in that league.

The big question here - will these be the first B&Ms to be scrapped, or will they be sold? I hope they do manage to find a new home, they are good coasters! Although I feel that may be unlikely.

I like the idea of a Mack Inverted Powered Coaster, it is a brilliant ride system that either Disney or Universal could do something very special with. And as Tim says, the Dragon Challenge site is huge meaning plenty of room for a second attraction if that is what they wanted. I have also seen a B&M Hyper Coaster rumoured, I believe one was planned for a Forbidden Forest area in Japan, but I can't help but feel it would not really fit in with the immersive Harry Potter themes were have seen so far.