• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

Yes but reputation-wise I'd want to keep my company's 25+ year record of every single ride ever made still being in operation.
I don't think they really care about that. RCDB reports Lighting as SBNO and when this was discussed on this forum before it was said there is another B&M no longer operating.

I don't think they really care about that. RCDB reports Lighting as SBNO and when this was discussed on this forum before it was said there is another B&M no longer operating.

OK yes, one SBNO but none scrapped. They don't control the financial solvency of the parks they sell to, but they do control the quality of the ride hardware. I would think they would care about a record as prestigious as that.

Yes but reputation-wise I'd want to keep my company's record of every single ride ever made still being in operation.
But that scenario can only be true if Universal is tearing down a coaster that is serviceable in the long term and common concencous and common sense would suggest that is not the case.

But that scenario can only be true if Universal is tearing down a coaster that is serviceable in the long term and common concencous and common sense would suggest that is not the case.

This is Universal though...they effectively have unlimited money for this stuff. As has been mentioned Dragon Challenge has never quite fit into HPWW, and it takes up an enormous amount of space. I can't believe that either of the coasters could be in such a bad condition that they have to be removed. I think of it more as a developmental move.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Universal have ever sold a ride. They seem to be of the "hell no, no one else is getting OUR ride!" opinion. Sadly, they also seem to be of the "we don't give a flying smeg about history and preserving classic rides" opinion.

Sadly, they also seem to be of the "we don't give a flying smeg about history and preserving classic rides" opinion.
It was built in 1999 and most of the steel needs replacing with new - I don't understand what you would be preserving?

The world's only duelling inverted coaster.
It doesn't duel anymore. All the track needs replacing.

If there are times in the history of amusement parks where something cool and "classic" should have been saved from the wrecking ball, this is not one of them.

Dragon Challenge should last longer than Hulk, as it only has 2 trains (per side) rather than 3.

Removal of a pair of inverts is a huge deal, and I don't trust Universal to replace them with anything I'd enjoy anywhere near as much

Duelling Dragons has sadly had its time. Sure they probebly could keep running it for many years until it's truly run into the ground, but as with Hulk they've clearly decided it needs serious repairs. The difference is that Hulk is still relevant. Duelling Dragons has lost its gimmick and no longer feels like a headline ride, hidden away behind the Wizarding World. Hulk is also far more compact, you'd struggle to replace it with something better.

While it would be good to see another park pick it up I don't think anyone would. The cost to restore and rebuild it would undoubtably be more than building a brand new, better ride. The concept behind the ride was great (if regrettably flawed by human stupidity) and if B&M ever get approached to try it again I'm sure they'd prefer that to keeping an ageing ride around.

Even if the do get sold (which I cannot see happening), I reckon we'll see one track end up in Asia and the other scrapped.

It would probably be too impractical to sell one without the other as they share lift supports, transfer tracks and maintenance areas, electrical and control systems are probably intertwined too. I can't see either being saved, but individually they don't have much merit.

Dragon Challenge should last longer than Hulk, as it only has 2 trains (per side) rather than 3.

Removal of a pair of inverts is a huge deal, and I don't trust Universal to replace them with anything I'd enjoy anywhere near as much

Exactly. It's also been a less popular ride than Hulk (recently as least) and that area of the park is not used for corporate hire outs anywhere near as much as Super Hero Island (where Hulk got a lot of extra late night running).

I don't buy that it all needed re-tracking. This is B&M we are talking about, yes they make intense coasters but they are such a high quality. Far older steel looping coasters are still running at parks around the world and I am sure some of these have completed more circuits than Dragon Challenge. When riding it in 2015, not long after Hulk went down, you hardly got the feeling that it had aged badly and needed work. It rode just like any other B&M Invert I've been on. I know there is more to it than that but it is a decent indication. By the end of Hulk's time it was clear from riding it that it needed major work.

It probably did need some more extensive maintenance to prolong it long term however the bigger factor here has been the space it takes up and the potential Universal see for a far more popular replacement. Hogsmeade often suffers from overcrowding and a Harry Potter expansion will help with this. They can probably fit in two new attractions (E-ticket coaster and support attraction), along with lots of money making shops and eateries. Far more $$$ than Dragon Challenge could ever generate. So I understand why they are doing it from that point of view. I just think it is a shame to lose, likely to the scrap yard, two of the most iconic rollercoasters worldwide.

:)

Not if Universal have no desire to sell them! :(

:)

If they want to anger the fans/enthusiasts then sure. If someone is willing to pay and ship the ride then they should really consider it, being able to ride the iconic ride still will please it's fans and give Universal some brownie points.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Universal have ever sold a ride. They seem to be of the "hell no, no one else is getting OUR ride!" opinion. Sadly, they also seem to be of the "we don't give a flying smeg about history and preserving classic rides" opinion.

They do sell off old themeing to guests though, there is a shop in the Studios park which sold a lot of HorrorNights stuff and cows from Twister etc http://attractionsmagazine.com/new-...orlando-props-opens-inside-universal-studios/