Universal Studios/IOA Orlando: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by Alastair, 6th Aug 2012.

1. Craig

Craig TS Administrator Team Member

I would imagine it's a combination of wanting to capitalise on the success of the Hollywood and Singapore along with the realisation theme lost a big chunk of capacity in what is a relatively small park anyway with the loss of jaws. That and the fact there's still a while before the next phase of HP opens, so they have a need for an additional ride to tide things over. I'd imagine things will be very busy construction wise for HP later next year so they'd rather get transformers out the way sooner rather than later.

Posted 7th Sep 2012
  2. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

Well... Harry Potter is popular... The rest of the park seems to be dead...

Posted 7th Sep 2012
  3. Alastair

Alastair TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    Not really, Marvel Island is still absolutely packed and probably has the best selection of rides in the park, the Seuss kids section and the Lost Continent are still busy due to them being in the path to HP (and therefore people go on stuff on the way). Probably the quietest part of the park is Toon Lagoon and Jurassic Park due to them being on the opposite side, but even then what you would class as quiet is still extremely busy - Ripsaw Falls regularly has queues over an hour and a half and that's just a flume!

Posted 7th Sep 2012
  4. Ollie

Ollie TowersStreet Member

Yes but it seems it is only after about 2pm that the rest of the park actually fills up! The old morning rush to the Hulk is gone, replaced by a stampede almost to HP.

EDIT: Obviously the water rides get mobbed when it's hot as well, sorry I left that out.

Posted 7th Sep 2012
  5. BigAl

BigAl TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    (queue times are peak)

Guests are evenly spread around IoA, in my opinion. Although the Harry Potter area is slightly busier (as expected), the queues for Forbidden Journey and Dragon Challenge weren't massive at all. Forbidenn Journey's queue is never more than an hour (probably down to the epic capacity though :p ) and the only reason the queue for Flight of the Hippogriff is the longest in the park (pretty much 90 minutes for the entire day) is because of the dire capacity and the amount of people that go there.

In fact, the queue for Dragon Challenge was usually 5 minutes at the beginning and end of the day and never more than 15 to 20 in the day, whereas Hulk averages about 30 minutes.

Compare the Potter area to Toon Lagoon's queues. Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges and Dudley Do Right's Ripsaw Falls remain between 60 and 80 minutes for most of the day (unless you go on single rider, then they're about 10 :p ).

Apart from Spiderman, Seuss Landing gets bigger queues than Marvel Super Hero Island. The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train and The Cat in the Hat rides both remain around 40 minutes from around an hour after the park opens to about 6pm which is when most people with kids go because of the second load of buses back to the hotels.

Posted 7th Sep 2012
  6. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Seuss Landing and Jurassic Park are always quieter than the rest of the park because the rides in those areas are a bit rubbish.

Posted 7th Sep 2012
  7. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    River Adventure was great. As was One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish! :p

Posted 7th Sep 2012
  8. Alastair

Alastair TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    The HP section IMO only appears really busy because of the way the street is built - being Hogsmeade the houses had to be close together and so people are bottlenecked between the Dragon Challenge entrance and the bit just past Ollivanders.

Posted 7th Sep 2012
  9. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    But the paths in the Jurassic Park and Lost Continent areas are narrow and neither of them are quite as crowded as the Wizarding World.

Posted 7th Sep 2012
  10. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    Bump!

Some more images of the work being done at Universal Studios for the Transformers attraction have been released...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Images of the work on Diagon Alley have also been released. The third and forth images could be the start of the Gringotts Bank roller coaster...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, the area outside the Simpsons ride has had some work done, as the previously fake façade of amusement games is being converted into real games stands...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More images can be found here.

:)

11. Jem8472

Jem8472 TowersStreet Member

Some nice photos, looking forward to what they are building. But Not sure if I will get to go back to see it for real.

12. Pricey.

Pricey. TowersStreet Member

Whens this new phase of WW aimed to be finished for?

13. Adam James

Adam James TS Contributor

Favourite Ride:
    Blue Fire
    Apparently for after the Transformers ride (or whatever attraction is for that location) has opened - so looking at around 2014/15ish according to a number of sources. :)

14. Maelstrom

Maelstrom TowersStreet Member

Transformers Summer 2013 (they are working 24/7 to build it)

Harry Potter Late 2014/early 2015- They are first building up the area around the lake where the Amity games units where, this will also be london themed and open soon, this will tidy up the area around the lake while the HP construction is going on.

15. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    I'm curious as to why they are building the Transformers ride. Isn't it just a slightly less impressive version of Spider-man next door? If I was them I would have just focused all the effort on the expansion to the Wizarding World.

Of course it's probably just because the franchise is popular that they’re milking it now before that cash cow runs out.

16. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

It's really based on the success the Singapore and then California rides have seen after they've opened... Makes sense for chain parks to capitalise on successful brand rides/attractions, hell it's the reason we now have 3 Midway Manias and Hollywood Universal is getting Potterland Lite...

17. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Does anyone give a toss about Transformers, as an IP? I mean, the movies might gross well, but does anyone actually like them?

I always presumed it was the sort of thing that people just saw on a long-haul flight because there's nothing else on.

18. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    I like Transformers. Well, the first film anyway. I assume it's the same for others or else they wouldn't be building it. :p

19. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    You see while that was my initial thought as well I wonder if it will be as successfully as the Singapore and California versions. For both of these parks the Transformers ride is their equivalent of The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. But Orlando already has this ride which not only has a better long lasting IP but was refurbished earlier this year to bring it right up-to-date.

[hr]
    Edit: I've just watched a video for the Transformers ride and it is literally the same plot as Spider-Man (even including the same plummet off the building at the end) but with a rehash of the end of the first Transformers film replacing the Spider-Man story.
    [hr]

Surely this makes it a bit of a wasted investment for a park that already has one of these rides? The expansion to the Wizarding World however is likely to be something brand new that we’ve never seen before. Hence why I'd put more effort into creating another attraction or improving what they already have planned for that.

20. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    Here are a couple of reviews of the Transformers ride, as well as an interview with Thierry Coup and John Hallenbeck, the creators of the attractions...

Transformers Singapore (Published: December 1, 2011 at 11:51 PM):
    Source.

Interview with Thierry Coup and John Hallenbeck (Published: December 3, 2011 at 2:44 AM):
    Source.

Transformers Hollywood (Published: April 23, 2012 at 10:13 AM):
    Source.

Don't know if any of this will help with any opinions, although it's still too difficult to say without having experienced either of the Transformers rides to compare them with my rides on Spiderman in Islands of Adventure, but I enjoyed that ride and I like Transformers, so I assume that these rides are great as well and the addition of one alongside a 2nd Wizarding World can only be a good thing for the Orlando Resort.

A few other people who have read these reviews and interview and haven' been on either of the Transformers rides say the same about not being excited about the ride and not being able to understand the appeal, etc... However, once people ride them, it seems to be a different story.

:)