• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

Kongstruction ahoy!

Screamscape said:
2015/2016 - King Kong 360º 3D / Skull Island - Rumor - (2/15/14) Looks like the heavy digging may be nearly ready to begin at the rumored Kong site behind the Thunder Falls restaurant. Screamscape sources tell us that all departments have been notified that they need to clear out anything that they might have had sitting in storage at the site ASAP.

I love the conception of a big new project, let's go! :D

Screamscape said:
2015/2016 - King Kong 360º 3D / Skull Island - Rumor - (2/27/14) OrlandoParkNews ventures into the jungles of Jurassic Park to photograph many of the trees near the rumored new Kong attraction site that have colored ribbons wrapped around them. Those with a white ribbon will be saved. They also noticed a number of trees also marked in similar fashion over in the former Triceratops Encounter attraction area.

phiyTHu.jpg

6FfQCmN.jpg

More photos at the link above if that's your kinda thing!

The park have also bumped up their ticket prices, in-line with Disney's recent rise.

Screamscape said:
General Resort News - (2/27/14) As expected, Universal Orlando has followed in the footsteps of Walt Disney World and raised their ticket prices earlier today at the front gate… but not online for some reason. The cost has gone up $4, so an Adult 1-park pass is now $96 and a Child is now $90. What may be most important to everyone going forward however is the cost of the 1-Day / 2-Park pass which is now $136 for an Adult and $130 for a Child, as you should expect to need a double park pass to ride the Hogwarts Express attraction.
As noted, it is interesting to note that, for now at least, ticket prices online have not increased. 1-Day / 1-Park adult tickets are still $92, and you can buy a 1-Day / 2-Park ticket for $128. Click here to see the current online pricing.

Information regarding the Hogwarts Express has been revealed:

MTV News said:
Are you ready to ride the Hogwarts Express? Because a movie authentic experience is coming to Universal Studios Orlando's Wizarding World of Harry Potter, as revealed during a press event attended by MTV News and to be announced to the general public later today.

Oliver Phelps, who played George Weasley in the "Harry Potter" movies, as well as members of the Universal Studios creative staff, hosted the event.

In January Universal finally revealed details about the expansion to the Harry Potter section of the theme park: by adding "Diagon Alley," they would double the size of the experience, adding new rides, shops, and attractions.

The focus of today's event was how parkgoers will get from Diagon Alley in Universal Studios Florida, to Hogsmeade in Universal's Island of Adventure. The answer is a train straight out of the films, down to the last detail.

Platform 9 3/4
In the books (and movie), Harry enters the Hogwarts Express by running through a brick wall and on to the hidden, magical Platform 9 3/4. Impossible in real life though, right? Wrong. Though the Universal brass wouldn't explain exactly how it will be done, they did describe it this way:

"I don't want to give it away, you have to experience it. But you'll see people... Transition through the wall, and you'll transition through the wall as you go to the platform."

We have no idea what that means, but it sounds awesome.

Station Agent
The Hogwarts Express will pull into the station billowing steam and smoke, before welcoming guests aboard. The train itself sits about 200 guests at a time, and is made to the exact size of the cabins and hallways of the train in the movies. The paint, materials, and even the whistle are all movie accurate.

Come On Ride The Train
Once on board, the execs were careful to emphasize repeatedly: it is just like the experience of actually riding a train, albeit a magical one. So unlike Universal's King Kong ride which depends on 3-D imagery and glasses, guests will be able to look out the windows and see an actual Harry Potter scene play out; and depending on where they're seated on the train, and what angle they're looking out the window, the scene will look different.

Given the wizards at Universal managed to somehow make Harry Potter's talking, moving paintings and pictures, we expect this effect to be just as mind boggling.

Two Rides For The Price Of One
There are two different journeys, from Hogsmeade to Diagon Alley; and the one back. Each is completely different, with a different story and characters. Speaking of the characters...

Old Friends
Guests will get to see Hagrid wave goodbye from Hogsmeade station, the Knight Bus slamming through the streets in London, Buckbeak or the Weasley twins fly by and even be attacked by evil Dementors. The execs were careful to say that this is not a dangerous train ride, and is appropriate for the whole family... Despite the Dementor attacks. Additionally, at the very least Phelps will be back playing his part. No news on the other actors involved.

Candy Trolley
Yeah, but what about snacks? In the movies and books, the candy trolley is an essential part of any Hogwarts Express journey. So will we have a chance to buy Chocolate Frogs during our train ride? The Universal exec I asked wasn't allowed to say specifically, but did add, "You may see something like that. All I can say is that it's true to the experience in the movies." Pumpkin Pasties, here we come.

More Real Than The Movie
Phelps copped to being completely gobsmacked by the whole endeavor. Not only was the train the first set he filmed on when doing the "Harry Potter" movies, but other parts of the Diagon Alley section of the park were beyond what he expected. In particular, the new full-sized Gringotts Bank is entirely unlike the one in the movies... Because it has a roof. When they were filming, all that was filled in with CGI.

No Opening Date Yet
Other important details: no, there's no official opening date though execs did repeat that it should be open in "Summer." And though previously reported, it's probably important to emphasize that in order to ride the Hogwarts Express, you will need to have a park-to-park ticket for both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.

03_Hagrid-at-Hogsmeade-Station.jpg

02_Fred-Weasley.jpg

01_Buckbeak.jpg

Source

:)

I already have the cash waiting, just need someone to go with now!

(also that website is ridiculous, I actually could not get rid of the Crunchy Nut advert!)

Edit: Actually came close to tears at how badly I want to go back for this. It's just on a completely different level from anything ever before. I still think the Forbidden Journey station is incredible and it's just lights and mirrors.

I'd love to know how the "walk-through-able wall" is done. The only way I can think of is projecting on to a mist curtain, but the same effect has proved unreliable in Wodan's queue.

I was supposed to be going in October but the trip was cancelled as I think I was the only one who really wanted it :S I don't understand how you could not...even if you're not the world's biggest Potter fan, you can't fail to be overwhelmed by all this...(but apparently you can!)

The only similar magic wall effect I can think of is the Beauty and The Beast one: http://youtu.be/WtH1kUB-hAU

Wow, that's rather impressive. Took me a moment to twig what bits were expanding from where. I can see how a child would be convinced it was really magic. :p

Don't think it would work for this situation though.

It might work for Diagon Alley, perhaps? Although I am not sure if they will be implementing that effect, I can imagine crowd control would be an issue...

I haven't looked at the mirror effect too closely! I still want to believe it's magic!
Someone told me Forbidden Journey broke down while they were on it, I think I would have to shut my eyes and cover my ears and be led out. I don't want to see how it works...

Wow. I'm seriously impressed with what Universal have planned for this area. It sounds absolutely fantastic!

Really need to visit.

Andrew said:
Wow. I'm seriously impressed with what Universal have planned for this area. It is absolutely fantastic!

Really need to visit.

Corrected that for you ;)

Yeah, the Gringotts coaster is blates gonna be great, but I don't see what's so omgwtfTOTESAMAZEBALLS about this Hogwart's Express thing? Sounds a bit take-it-or-leave-it to me, filed away under the same category as Mission Space and Soarin'.

Sam said:
Yeah, the Gringotts coaster is blates gonna be great, but I don't see what's so omgwtfTOTESAMAZEBALLS about this Hogwart's Express thing? Sounds a bit take-it-or-leave-it to me, filed away under the same category as Mission Space and Soarin'.

It has physical effects and others as well as the window screens [ie, the glass panes in the carriage doors will fog over and leg ticklers during the demontor attack]. Unfortunately that is the only variation that I can remember from the top of my head from seeing the plans, but as an experience on the whole, it'll certainly leave Mission Space and Soarin' in a different league to some extent.

I think it depends a certain extent on how much you like Harry Potter...

It really doesn't. I'm hardly what you'd call a fan of Harry Potter, and the fact that it got milked to death really got on my wick, but regardless of whether you do or don't, the Wizarding World is sure to impress you. I've never come even close to experience anything remotely of the same caliber. A truly outstanding development, and the second part to it will only further establish it as the best theme park concept ever realised (as voted for, not just plucked out of thin air :p ).