• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

Add me to the 'it annoys me' list. :p I can understand why they would have two Ollivanders since the current one is very popular (will ease crowds out nicely) although it feels rather insulting to the HP world, takes the realism out in some way. Same goes for the dragon on top of Gringotts.

Not to say it's the end of the world though, I can understand their decisions - but the perfectionist (and HP fan) inside me (don't you dare giggle at that) just personally does not like it.

Right, according to the HP Wiki (which is incredibly accurate for all your Potter needs :p ), there is a branch of Ollivanders in Hogsmeade. This makes sense if you think about it as it's a wizarding village and what's the point in an entirely wizarding village without a wand shop-That wouldn't be very good planning. :p

Everything has been passed through Rowling in the consultancy stages. If it wasn't true to the world she imagined then I'm sure she would speak up.

And I was going to say, just because it is not mentioned in the 7 core books, does not mean there is no option of Ollivanders opening in Hogsmeade.
As for the dragon, it's meant to be a snapshot in time of the event when the dragon did fly out the bank. That's good enough for me

What I love about this forum is the lengths people will go to just to prove others wrong! ;)

Doesn't change my opinion though. Also, the argument that just because it doesn't appear in the books doesn't mean it wasn't there/ didn't happen could be applied to pretty much anything!

I feel the HP Wiki might be basing that fact on the theme park and not the books as in no way does Rowling ever mention an Ollivanders there.

As for the dragon I know it's an intended snapshot of the breakout scene from Deathly Hallows. I just find it aesthetically displeasing as it takes away from the escapism when you have what are meant to be fairly dynamic fictional creatures forever in Diagonal Alley.

But this is just my personal preference.

The way I see it is that the two areas are both part of a theme park and not exact like for like 'museum' style replicas of what is in the films/books (altough they obviously come pretty close). We know how closely Universal have had to work with all the creators of Harry Potter so if they're all happy with it then I know I sure am! In terms of the dragon on top of Gringotts, it's clearly there to allude to the ride within and act as a 'wow' stand out feature in the area; makes sense to me as it clearly indicates that it is the main attraction in the area for those that may not know much about Harry Potter.

Also I do agree with Andrew, even if it's not mentioned in the books it would seem a bit silly not to have a wand shop village for wizards!

:)

But the books state that there are other wand makers such as Gregorovitch, so no one is saying that Hogsmeade doesn't have a wand shop, merely that the wand shop it does have is not another branch of Ollivanders.

Fair enough, I've not read the books so wouldn't know. I'd say it's a commercial thing, they will want it to appeal to everyone; Harry Potter enthusiasts, those who like Harry Potter and those who don't really know much about it at all but still want to visit as part of their theme park experience. At the end of the day they want as many people as possible to buy those lovely expensive wands and more people are likely to associate Ollivanders with wands than say Gregorovitch which I personally have never heard of!

:)

As said it's a personal opinion, i just think the dragon is going to look a bit naff surrounded by the amazing theming of the area.

Pixie-Ro said:
But the books state that there are other wand makers such as Gregorovitch, so no one is saying that Hogsmeade doesn't have a wand shop, merely that the wand shop it does have is not another branch of Ollivanders.

That argument is flawed as it is never stated there is no Ollivanders branch in Hogsmeade either. He's been operating for several years, why wouldn't he franchise out?

So this is supposedly the interior of a theme park attraction:

BpXqc_mIUAANSww.jpg:large

Looks like a train station with members of staff wearing fancy costumes to me?

jon81uk said:
That's the point, it is meant to look exactly like a train station!

I know, my post was meant to imply that it's scarily accurate how real it actually looks :p

Danny said:
jon81uk said:
That's the point, it is meant to look exactly like a train station!

I know, my post was meant to imply that it's scarily accurate how real it actually looks :p

Most of the London area looks too accurate, King's Cross exterior looks better than the real thing!

The London area is actually gobsmackingly ridiculous in terms of the lengths they have gone to in order to create realism.

Just astounding.

Universal Orlando are slowly but surely turning themselves into a Floridian shrine to the joys of the London commute, this past Halloween Horror Nights they even built a scarily accurate Tube station ;)

AW-1.jpg

In all seriousness though the detailing on this project is unreal, and safe to say when it does open i'll be down there in the queue at 6AM to get first look. I have a friend that will be working on the Hogwarts express so hopefully she can give me a hint towards the best way to beat the crowds, even if i'm not hopeful for Gringotts being done by the time I leave Florida :(

Oh well, it'll still probably open before Falcon's Fury does!

NF2 said:
Universal Orlando are slowly but surely turning themselves into a Floridian shrine to the joys of the

In all seriousness though the detailing on this project is unreal, and safe to say when it does open i'll be down there in the queue at 6AM to get first look. I have a friend that will be working on the Hogwarts express so hopefully she can give me a hint towards the best way to beat the crowds, even if i'm not hopeful for Gringotts being done by the time I leave Florida :(

Oh well, it'll still probably open before Falcon's Fury does!

Judging by the queues for when Hogsmede opened, you'll want to be there well before 6am.

:p

It is being reported on Twitter that the Dragon has received its second wing today, I know it is dividing opinions.... But you really can't deny that this thing looks absolutely incredible!

BpeKdK4CcAA1f5C.jpg:large