• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

As the project nears completion, Reign of Kong testing is now underway. Here's a photo of how the lighting of the attraction is shaping up:

Cb2z_dPW4AAi192.jpg

Looks pretty menacing and it's still not finished! There may well be fire effects in places once it is open.

Also not sure if this has been posted before but here is a great article from a few months back giving lots of information about the attraction.

:)

Universal have revealed the mammoth ride vehicles for King Kong, and some extra details as well:

Vehicle-featured-1170x731.jpg

The expedition vehicle for Skull Island: Reign of Kong measure over 40 feet long and 13 feet high, weighs in at 17 tons and carries up to 72 people.

But don’t let the size fool you; this truck can handle anything.

The front and back axles that support the vehicle’s 45-inch wheels can be steered individually. This lets the vehicle take sharp turns and pull off complicated maneuvers.

To immerse you even further in the story of Skull Island: Reign of Kong, we created another Universal first. This all-terrain vehicle operates on a completely trackless system.

Without a rail or guidance track in sight, you’ll work your way across the rugged island in search of your next adventure.

At the wheel will be one of five drivers, each with their own story to tell:

• Becky Callahan: The loose-cannon cowgirl who isn’t fazed by the dangers awaiting her on Skull Island.
  • Will Denham: The fresh-faced, adventure-seeking younger cousin of famed movie director Carl Denham.
  • Jinks Costanza: A hardened New York City ex-con who is wary of the island’s mysteries.
  • Kalana: A mystical descendent of the natives who first settled on the island.
  • Charles “Doc” Jordan: A PhD student in paleontology who took time off from his studies to explore the world.

Looks like Universal will be revealing Hulk's new trains shortly. A short 5 second teaser can be seen on Twitter here. And here is a screenshot from it:

Ch-i9MxWUAAMI6z.jpg

It would appear that Universal executives saw Helix and asked B&M to do a Mack! Looks like standard B&M restraints rather than vests which is good also.

In other news, the entrance to Kong looks amazing:

ChvXVpcUkAEDwSz.jpg

ChvXV12VEAAmnQE.jpg

Source

:)

Last edited:
As much as Universal should be applauded for investing in their older rides and attractions to me this project seems like a waste of money that could have been better spent on a new ride.

Will the improvement in the ride experience from re-tracking justify the cost of doing so? I highly doubt.

It's not like there was anything particularly wrong with the Hulk coaster either and Marvel Island could really do with a new attraction despite space limitations (although I'm not sure about the rights issue with Disney).

Last edited:
Should have just got new trains not track and then buy a new wing rider/ flying coaster in JP

Yeah and that's the other thing.

Last year Jurassic World became the fourth highest grossing film in cinema history. Not only this but the Jurassic Park area at IOA has been crying out for anew ride and has a large plot of land behind for development. But what do they build? A King Kong ride.

Don't get me wrong it looks like it will be exceptional and makes me want to fly out to ride it alone....but it makes no commercial sense to me. Mind you they tore out Kongfrontation only a year or so before the blockbuster release of King Kong in 2005.