Universal Studios/IOA Orlando: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by Alastair, 6th Aug 2012.

1. Jem8472

Jem8472 TowersStreet Member

DAM!

That looks awesome, the first time I went to Orlando they had already started work on HP and there was boarding up everywhere so I did not see this. It looks amazing! Such a shame it got removed.

2. BigAl

BigAl TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    It is a shame, Jem. Maybe these rumours about changes being made to Dragon Challenge are true and we'll see some great new additions to the experience which will hopefully bring the ride back to the standard that it once was?

Anyway, Orlando Rocks has some new updates for us!

Transformers:
    http://www.orlandorocks.com/Info.aspx?location=usf&type=Rides&Attraction=Tranformers&sub=Construction

Diagon Alley/London:
    http://www.orlandorocks.com/Info.aspx?location=usf&type=ParkAreas&Attraction=london&sub=Construction

Springfield:
    http://www.orlandorocks.com/Info.aspx?location=usf&type=parkareas&Attraction=springfield&sub=Construction

Looking good!

:)

3. cotda

cotda TowersStreet Member

Im gonna guess that the dragons were removed because of space? The entrance is unbelievably cramped now, shame :'(

4. Moley

Moley TowersStreet Member

They might have distracted people from all those Potterville USA shops.

5. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    I'm guessing that you don't like "Potterville" then? :p

6. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    Orlando Theme Park News has a selection of updates. I'll list them and then add some of the main points (with images) here so you all don't have to look through the updates if you don't want to. :p

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4

[​IMG]
    The banner on the side of the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit lift support has been removed and a new one will soon be taking its place.

[​IMG]
    The Transformers building is looking quite solid now! :p

[​IMG]
    It's quite an ugly sight at the moment. :/

[​IMG]
    The new Donkey meet and greet area is being created.

[​IMG]
    The outside tables for the Monster Cafe have been moved to the front of it. They are suggesting this is for construction walls as the cafe is rumoured to be closing soon. I wish I'd known about it so that I could have popped my head in whilst we were there. :/

[​IMG]
    The old test seats from Revenge of the Mummy have returned (the closer ones) and there's also a new row.

[​IMG]
    A close-up of the new seats.

[​IMG]
    A refreshed entrance too! The wait time board in the background is actually an LED display but it's not working yet.

[​IMG]
    Work on the toilets near the arcade.

[​IMG]
    A section of the railings have been replaced with a concrete wall. I hope they put something over it or at least clean it up.

[​IMG]
    Some reserved seating for the night time show have appeared.

[​IMG]
    "Potterville" 2's big new attraction is still going up.

Some shots of the coaster track...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The train station is taking shape now as well!

[​IMG]
    Another look at the Simpsons area expansion.

[​IMG]
    A new extended queue section is being made for the Simpsons Ride but the temporary fences are in place for now. OTPN has suggested that this area may also become home to a new meet and greet once the expansion is complete.

[​IMG]
    Where the rumoured new flat ride may be going.

7. Alastair

Alastair TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    Was anyone else disappointed by the Simpsons ride? I don't see the necessity for such a huge building just for a few motion simulators, I was under the impression before I rode that it was some kind of dark ride coaster thing. Not just a screen and a motion simulator.

8. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Not really. Universal have a habit of doing everything on as grand a scale as possible, and actually The Simpsons Ride is pretty damn good considering that it's a re-themed attraction. It's full of atmosphere and comedy, which makes for a somewhat entertaining ride even if it's not particularly advanced in terms of technology. Certainly, there are weaker links in the Studios line-up - E.T and Shrek 4D spring to mind.

9. Jem8472

I can't say I was disappointed with it. I never got to do BTTF so I can't compare but I enjoyed the queue line. I enjoyed the ride itself. I thought the whole area was nicely done and its looking ever better now they are opening stalls and other parts to the area.

10. Alastair

Alastair TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    E.T is a classic though. I know the effects are primitive and the ride is tame but it's just one of those rides that you'd find difficult to sanction removing.

11. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    Jaws and Kongfrontation were classics too but they didn't have trouble replacing them. :/

12. Lordy

Lordy TowersStreet Member

I completely agree. Apart from that I knew it was a simulator. But still, it's like a signature ride for the park..... yet it's a bloody simulator!

The park is full of crap to be honest. RotM is only the saving grace. I did like T2, but it's not the kind of attraction you can see more than once per trip (and I get the feeling that only Terminator fans like it). Shrek, Twister and Disaster are all awful attractions. MIB, Despicable Me and HRRR were average at best.

I guess you could say it's their own fault for being strict on sticking to the movie/cinema type theme? Potterverse 2 is changing now that though...

13. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    Orlando Rocks has some construction photos of the new Cabana Bay hotel here.

14. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    Couldn't resist not posting this, quite frankly, staggering concept art for a Gotham City park that could have been built instead of Islands of Adventure.

http://seasonpassforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=561&start=0

Enjoy!

Edit: New Years Day updates from Orlando Rocks on the new Harry Potter area and the Simpsons expansion.

Edit 2: 03/01/2013 (don't want to flood the topic with just my comments, though it's looking that way now :p ) Screamscape reports that work may be getting started on the IoA Hogwarts station:

15. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    I'll have to make a new post now; the other is too cramped! :p

Screamscape has heard that Universal may once again be looking into building a Middle Earth themed land in IoA:

An article linked from this:

Source.

There's also an article from Film, IGN and Theme Park Insider to view.

I can't help but wonder if trying to a section of Middle Earth may be a bit too much. Something like just the Shire might be a better goal and they could focus on Hobbiton with the new Hobbit films being the popular films/books at the moment.

Anyway, a while ago, Universal apparently sent a message out a while ago that wanted to know what people would think about various theming ideas for a Middle Earth themed land. I can't find the message any more as every search query is bringing up recent articles about Universal being close to acquiring the rights to build something LotR or Hobbit related.

What do you guys think? Would there be too much fantasy and magic at Universal Orlando?

16. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    The odd thing is that despite wanting this to be made for quite a while now that Universal have shown interest I’m thinking this might be much more suited as a Disney project. Something based on Middle Earth could really do with a lot of open space to properly immerse you into this world. At the current Universal parks this would simply not be possible were as on a site as large as Walt Disney World they could give Middle Earth a spot at the edge of one of their parks overlooking something themed like a New Zealand backdrop (think how Expedition Everest can be seen in the distance from the other parks).

They could also take inspiration from Alton and make The Shire/Hobbiton as new accommodation visible from inside the park.

As an added bonus Middle-Earth would make a great alternative to “The Land of Avatar”? If it’s decided that IP doesn’t have the pulling power. I could sort of see that working in Animal Kingdom.

17. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    Orlando Rocks have updates for both the new Harry Potter area and also the new Transformers ride.

However, what has excited me the most was this from Screamscape:

Loving that artwork!

;D

18. Jem8472

Yep that artwork looks awesome!

19. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

If they're going to build this Jeep tour, then where exactly is it going to go? Unless they expand the park somehow (not going to happen) or demolish the Jurassic Park boat ride, there's no space for it. There's a little unused space between Ripsaw Falls and Jurassic Park, but nowhere near enough for an enclosed wing rider or a decent Jeep ride.

20. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey