• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

BigAl said:
I wonder if there's a chance that they'll ever add replacement dragons after they removed the original ones from the entrance?

Orl-UIA-Dueling-Dragons.jpg

They looked very nice. :(

DAM!

That looks awesome, the first time I went to Orlando they had already started work on HP and there was boarding up everywhere so I did not see this. It looks amazing! Such a shame it got removed.

It is a shame, Jem. Maybe these rumours about changes being made to Dragon Challenge are true and we'll see some great new additions to the experience which will hopefully bring the ride back to the standard that it once was?

Anyway, Orlando Rocks has some new updates for us!

Transformers:
http://www.orlandorocks.com/Info.aspx?location=usf&type=Rides&Attraction=Tranformers&sub=Construction

Diagon Alley/London:
http://www.orlandorocks.com/Info.aspx?location=usf&type=ParkAreas&Attraction=london&sub=Construction

Springfield:
http://www.orlandorocks.com/Info.aspx?location=usf&type=parkareas&Attraction=springfield&sub=Construction

Looking good!

:)

Im gonna guess that the dragons were removed because of space? The entrance is unbelievably cramped now, shame :'(

cotda said:
Im gonna guess that the dragons were removed because of space? The entrance is unbelievably cramped now, shame :'(
They might have distracted people from all those Potterville USA shops.

Orlando Theme Park News has a selection of updates. I'll list them and then add some of the main points (with images) here so you all don't have to look through the updates if you don't want to. :p

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

jYTLwM7XuCZIe.jpg

The banner on the side of the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit lift support has been removed and a new one will soon be taking its place.

j5rQjSt9JDHqc.jpg

The Transformers building is looking quite solid now! :p

jo814DGYX6CRv.jpg

It's quite an ugly sight at the moment. :/

jIoukfEGboqH4.jpg

The new Donkey meet and greet area is being created.

jPZY3c98sFdSn.jpg

The outside tables for the Monster Cafe have been moved to the front of it. They are suggesting this is for construction walls as the cafe is rumoured to be closing soon. I wish I'd known about it so that I could have popped my head in whilst we were there. :/

jQBrWZPuBcMya.jpg

The old test seats from Revenge of the Mummy have returned (the closer ones) and there's also a new row.

j2ffvk3K9yojY.jpg

A close-up of the new seats.

juzORUJfRqqtS.jpg

A refreshed entrance too! The wait time board in the background is actually an LED display but it's not working yet.

jCMFqbJZVUAa4.jpg

Work on the toilets near the arcade.

jANyWjijQcamz.jpg

A section of the railings have been replaced with a concrete wall. I hope they put something over it or at least clean it up.

jCPR84jvne3tJ.jpg

Some reserved seating for the night time show have appeared.

jlVEHDpotQzCe.jpg

"Potterville" 2's big new attraction is still going up.

Some shots of the coaster track...

jlZ78eOZtooNi.jpg

jbcR5Nk5dllHBX.jpg

jKbzzyyN7E5wh.jpg

jhwsutwXT5uSP.jpg

jSu8USJPIDh79.jpg

jgLgpODEMCiak.jpg

The train station is taking shape now as well!

j1wy1hBO2K9b0.jpg

Another look at the Simpsons area expansion.

j7i1LP5kD9xIV.jpg

A new extended queue section is being made for the Simpsons Ride but the temporary fences are in place for now. OTPN has suggested that this area may also become home to a new meet and greet once the expansion is complete.

jguCulW7BTwyh.jpg

Where the rumoured new flat ride may be going.

Was anyone else disappointed by the Simpsons ride? I don't see the necessity for such a huge building just for a few motion simulators, I was under the impression before I rode that it was some kind of dark ride coaster thing. Not just a screen and a motion simulator.

The Psychoaster said:
Was anyone else disappointed by the Simpsons ride? I don't see the necessity for such a huge building just for a few motion simulators, I was under the impression before I rode that it was some kind of dark ride coaster thing. Not just a screen and a motion simulator.

Not really. Universal have a habit of doing everything on as grand a scale as possible, and actually The Simpsons Ride is pretty damn good considering that it's a re-themed attraction. It's full of atmosphere and comedy, which makes for a somewhat entertaining ride even if it's not particularly advanced in terms of technology. Certainly, there are weaker links in the Studios line-up - E.T and Shrek 4D spring to mind.

I can't say I was disappointed with it. I never got to do BTTF so I can't compare but I enjoyed the queue line. I enjoyed the ride itself. I thought the whole area was nicely done and its looking ever better now they are opening stalls and other parts to the area.

D4n said:
The Psychoaster said:

Not really. Universal have a habit of doing everything on as grand a scale as possible, and actually The Simpsons Ride is pretty damn good considering that it's a re-themed attraction. It's full of atmosphere and comedy, which makes for a somewhat entertaining ride even if it's not particularly advanced in terms of technology. Certainly, there are weaker links in the Studios line-up - E.T and Shrek 4D spring to mind.

E.T is a classic though. I know the effects are primitive and the ride is tame but it's just one of those rides that you'd find difficult to sanction removing.

Jaws and Kongfrontation were classics too but they didn't have trouble replacing them. :/

I completely agree. Apart from that I knew it was a simulator. But still, it's like a signature ride for the park..... yet it's a bloody simulator!

The park is full of crap to be honest. RotM is only the saving grace. I did like T2, but it's not the kind of attraction you can see more than once per trip (and I get the feeling that only Terminator fans like it). Shrek, Twister and Disaster are all awful attractions. MIB, Despicable Me and HRRR were average at best.

I guess you could say it's their own fault for being strict on sticking to the movie/cinema type theme? Potterverse 2 is changing now that though...

Couldn't resist not posting this, quite frankly, staggering concept art for a Gotham City park that could have been built instead of Islands of Adventure.

http://seasonpassforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=561&start=0

Enjoy!

Edit: New Years Day updates from Orlando Rocks on the new Harry Potter area and the Simpsons expansion.

Edit 2: 03/01/2013 (don't want to flood the topic with just my comments, though it's looking that way now :p ) Screamscape reports that work may be getting started on the IoA Hogwarts station:

2014 - Wizarding World Expansion Link - (1/3/12) A reader has sent in a picture of the work taking place in the current Wizarding World of Harry Potter land, as a new large crane has arrived on-site, likely to be involved with the construction of the Hogwarts Express station on this end of the line.

I'll have to make a new post now; the other is too cramped! :p

Screamscape has heard that Universal may once again be looking into building a Middle Earth themed land in IoA:

2016 - Tolkien’s Middle-Earth and Jurassic Park Attractions - Rumor - (1/4/13) While there has been speculation about just what Universal Orlando may have in store for Islands of Adventure guests once the second phase of the PotterVerse is complete, all new rumors are starting to bubble up to the surface.
Previous rumors suggested that a new attraction was being looked at for Seuss Landing, themed to either The Lorax or The Grinch, but now it seems that the park’s focus may be elsewhere across the lake. The revival of an old dark ride / coaster project is said to be under consideration for the Jurassic Park area according to some. Meanwhile there is new talk claiming that Universal may be in talks to acquire the rights to use J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit / The Lord of the Rings universe to create a Middle-Earth themed land, possibly as a replacement for Toon Lagoon. What do you think? Is this something you would like to see in Islands of Adventure, or would this combined with The Wizarding World be a bit too much magic and fantasy themeing in one park? (On the other hand... can you imagine the lighthouse in front of the park being rethemed to Sauron’s Eye? Creepy!!)

An article linked from this:

A Middle Earth theme park? Universal and the Tolkien family rumored to be in talks

hobbit-theme-park-433x330.jpg

Universal Orlando has had huge success with The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure since its opening in June 2010.

With that in mind, and that great Potter card up their sleeve, there are rumors that the park is talking with the Tolkien family about a Middle Earth theme park.

If rumors are to be believed, this is all happening thanks to the success of The Wizarding World. A reputable user in Orlando United’s forum, where mind-numbing talk of theme parks runs rampant, says Universal asked Warner Bros. to approach the Tolkien’s first. The park asked the studio to make first contact because of the existing relationship Tolkien and WB have built to create The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit film trilogies.

Warner Bros. told the Tolkien’s about the success of The Wizarding World theme park and how the final product was loyal to J.K. Rowling’s story and very well received by fans. Reportedly, the Tolkien’s even spoke to Rowling herself. It was only after all this that Universal and the Tolkien’s began developing ideas.

It’s important to remember that this is all rumor at this point. It’s very interesting how Universal used The Wizarding World’s success to make a go at Middle Earth.

If the rumor is true, there are still many questions to be answered: Where would the Middle Earth land be built? Would the park be marketed as Lord of the Rings, Hobbit, or Middle Earth? To what extent will Peter Jackson be involved? Do we get to pretend to be Gandalf and not let people pass? Will Denny’s supply the food?

Do you think a Middle Earth theme park could be a success? And could Universal pull it off with Peter Jackson and the Tolkien family?
Source.

There's also an article from Film, IGN and Theme Park Insider to view.

I can't help but wonder if trying to a section of Middle Earth may be a bit too much. Something like just the Shire might be a better goal and they could focus on Hobbiton with the new Hobbit films being the popular films/books at the moment.

Anyway, a while ago, Universal apparently sent a message out a while ago that wanted to know what people would think about various theming ideas for a Middle Earth themed land. I can't find the message any more as every search query is bringing up recent articles about Universal being close to acquiring the rights to build something LotR or Hobbit related.

What do you guys think? Would there be too much fantasy and magic at Universal Orlando?

The odd thing is that despite wanting this to be made for quite a while now that Universal have shown interest I’m thinking this might be much more suited as a Disney project. Something based on Middle Earth could really do with a lot of open space to properly immerse you into this world. At the current Universal parks this would simply not be possible were as on a site as large as Walt Disney World they could give Middle Earth a spot at the edge of one of their parks overlooking something themed like a New Zealand backdrop (think how Expedition Everest can be seen in the distance from the other parks).

They could also take inspiration from Alton and make The Shire/Hobbiton as new accommodation visible from inside the park.

As an added bonus Middle-Earth would make a great alternative to “The Land of Avatar”? If it’s decided that IP doesn’t have the pulling power. I could sort of see that working in Animal Kingdom.

Orlando Rocks have updates for both the new Harry Potter area and also the new Transformers ride.

However, what has excited me the most was this from Screamscape:

??.?? - New Jurassic Park Attraction - Rumor - (1/14/13) Lots of interesting news involving Jurassic Park this week. For starters, it was apparently leaked through various Hollywood sources that Jurassic Park 4 (in 3D) was given the green-light and given a release date of June 13, 2014 with Steven Spielberg confirmed to be returning as Producer.
This does go a long way to explain why I’ve been hearing about a ton of new Jurassic Park ride rumors and leaks for Islands of Adventure over the past week. New rumored variations of old ride concepts are returning to the drawing board for another look, with the only exception missing so far was JP HelicopTours, which was proposed to use the same ride system as Disney’s Soarin’ before Disney bought out the exclusive rights to it.
New rumors about an Excavation Dig Site coaster are back, the old giant Pterodactyl Dome concept that would have enclosed a B&M Flyer coaster is rumored as a new Wing Coaster design. Remember the old Jeep Tour people have been wanting since day 1? Some interesting artwork for a revamped version of the Jeep Tour drawn back in December 2010 were uncovered online this week, but I’m not sure how long they will stay online, so view them while you still can here because I really like this updated look to the Jeep Tour.
Look closely at the layout art for the proposed attraction and you see the tour starts nice and mellow, then things go wrong when what appears to be a Triceratops is blocking the road, forcing your jeep into a wild off-road journey that ends up in what looks like a Raptor Cave full of nastys before you can escape back to the safety of the theme park once again. I don’t believe it’s any mistake that you can see Triceratops on this ride, as it would make a fitting attraction to replace the old Triceratops Encounter, wouldn’t you think?

Loving that artwork!

;D

If they're going to build this Jeep tour, then where exactly is it going to go? Unless they expand the park somehow (not going to happen) or demolish the Jurassic Park boat ride, there's no space for it. There's a little unused space between Ripsaw Falls and Jurassic Park, but nowhere near enough for an enclosed wing rider or a decent Jeep ride.