• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

Nothing they do will hide the dull, dark grey top hat looming above the skyline as soon as you walk into the park.

I imagine the coaster will merge into the sight line once some larger trees are added into the area and the general construction mess is cleaned up.

I expected it to look a lot more dominant that what it’s turned out like to be honest. Shame about the dull, boring colour (could’ve at least gone for a dark green or maybe even blue) but what can you do

I think IoA is struggling as it wasn't designed with large amounts of expansion space. The two main areas have already been used (Kong and Forbidden Journey). There is some backstage space behind Dr Doom and the theatre that is no longer used in Toon Lagoon. But due to the Jurassic Park expansion areas already being used for Kong and Potter, the coaster couldn't easily have gone anywhere else.

That’s an interesting point about the lack of space, and could be another factor behind them removing Dragon Challenge. We know that Dragon Challenge wasn’t quite the same after they stopped it dueling. We also know that the ride may have needed significant money spending on it, either due to the amount the ride runs, or Theme Park University have suggested that it was built on swamp land that was causing subsidence. The work on Incredible Hulk supports the idea that Dragon Challenge needed significant work to keep it running. However, a lack of space might have been an additional consideration. The fact they’ve built multistory car parks, which can’t be cheap, suggests that space has always been a bit of a premium. There can’t have been loads of options for a new heavily themed coaster at the resort.

I’m sure the Universal designers are aware of the sightlines, so hopefully when it’s finished it won’t make things look too messy.

With Dragon Challenge, it might have helped that the ride always seemed to be the least popular major ride at IOA by some distance; whenever I went, the queues were always far, far shorter than that of any other ride at the park, and not just in terms of listed length! I never saw Dragon Challenge have anything more than a walk-on queue, while other rides like Hulk, Spider-Man and even FJ and Hippogriff in the same area have really long queues!

It might also help that JK Rowling allegedly never liked the rides being there, which would also explain Dragon Challenge’s absence from the other Hogsmeades...

The coaster can be seen from the seating around in the 3 Broomsticks in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. As a roller coaster enthusiast, Velocicoaster looks crazy but as a theme park enthusiast, it does not fit the area or park.

They have took some sight lines into consideration as both times it passes in front of the visitor centre the coaster is low to the ground so doesn't block the view. The ride will be very well landscaped, I understand a fair bit of rock work and planting will be taking place. Plus some water features including I believe a waterfall in the first half that interacts very closely with one of the inversions.

While both Universal parks have limited space they do still have options, plus much like the original park they wont add that much to the ride/attraction count in the park but will continue to replace older attractions. As mentioned there is some land behind Seuss landing, space in toon lagoon where the unused theatre sits, plus the Sinbad show is now closed giving them space there and potentially replace the whole of what remains of the lost continent (plus they could expand that plot of land into the back area if they wanted and relocated some of the buildings/facilities located behind the this area to the epic universe site).

From what I understand the future plans were for Bourne to open in 2020, Jurassic Coaster in 2021 and then an expansion/new attraction to Volcano bay in 2022. Then there was to a break in adding anything to the existing parks as Epic Universe was due in 2023. Now with this delayed to 2024 at the earliest this could change and Universal may bring forward any plans for the existing parks. From early rumours which could very well change many times as a good few years away the next projects would be something to final replace the outdated kids zone in Universal and then a replacement attraction using the site of the closed Sinbad show at IOA.

If I had to pick an area of each of the two theme parks that I’d like to see redeveloped, I’d personally go with KidZone in Universal Studios Florida and the Lost Continent in Islands of Adventure.

KidZone does feel a little out of step with Universal Studios Florida’s other areas these days, however I’m not sure if it ever will be redeveloped as Steven Spielberg has reportedly threatened to sever all ties with Universal if they remove Orlando’s ET Adventure. If they ever replaced ET, I think a Mack spinning coaster like Space Fantasy in Universal Studios Japan (which actually replaced their version of ET) would be a cool fit, personally.

As for Lost Continent, it’s always felt a bit redundant as an area to me. I know it played a far more prominent role when IOA first opened, as one of the park’s flagship attractions (Dueling Dragons) was part of it, as well as Flying Unicorn, but ever since Harry Potter opened, it’s lacked a real star attraction (I know Poseidon’s Fury exists, but that does fade into obscurity a bit amongst the other major rides in IOA). All of the park’s other islands has a real star ride, if you think about it, with some even having two (Hulk & Spider-Man in Marvel, Dudley Do-Right and Popeye in Toon Lagoon, River Adventure and soon to be Velocicoaster in Jurassic Park, Forbidden Journey and Hagrid’s in Harry Potter. Scratch what I said above, all of the ones I mentioned have two!). To a degree, I suppose Seuss Landing also lacks a star attraction, but I feel like that area has a lot more to do than the Lost Continent on the whole. I do think a family roller coaster would be a nice addition to Seuss Landing (I do remember reading that an Intamin drop track coaster themed to the Grinch was planned, but with Hagrid’s now operating in the same park, I find it unlikely that that will ever get built), but I think it’s a pretty great kids area on the whole; very vibrant and colourful with quite a bit to do! With the Lost Continent, though, I feel as though it lacks things to do in comparison to some of IOA’s other islands. However, I must say that the theming in the area is incredible!

These are just minor nitpicks, however, and I’m probably being overly harsh; I absolutely adore both of Universal’s Florida theme parks, with IOA in particular being my current favourite theme park!

I have heard rumours that the large how to train your dragon family coaster planned for at a epic Universe will be an Intamin. The large racing space themed thrill coaster will apparantly be from Mack (apparantly mack have said they are working on their biggest ever coaster for Universal). I have to wonder if the Mack will be an extreme spinner, something unique for the area as a Mack mega might be to similar to the new Jurassic coaster.

The coaster can be seen from the seating around in the 3 Broomsticks in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. As a roller coaster enthusiast, Velocicoaster looks crazy but as a theme park enthusiast, it does not fit the area or park.

Well in that case, I expect JK Rowling will demand that it is torn down as soon as she next visits....!

Are we talking about the outdoor seating area around the back? If so yes it will be visible but the hulk is as well, this is just going to be a lot closer.

Hogsmede has never been perfect for sightlines, but it's fairly good given how little space they had and IOA was never designed with complete immersion in mind. Each island was meant to face into the lake and be viewed from the others. It's impressive that with Hogsmede they managed to have it visible from the lake but mostly block your view of it within the area itself.

The big problem I foresee is noise pollution. You'll certainly be able to hear this ride from Hogsmede and I imagine that could be quite distracting.

Last edited:
This seems to be how the view originally looked, with trees blocking most of it. Meanwhile, Velocicoaster will be directly next to the seating area and trees are highly unlikely to block the coaster because the coaster track goes too close to the restaurant.
three-broomsticks-islands-of-adventure-21.jpg

This seems to be how the view originally looked, with trees blocking most of it. Meanwhile, Velocicoaster will be directly next to the seating area and trees are highly unlikely to block the coaster because the coaster track goes too close to the restaurant.
three-broomsticks-islands-of-adventure-21.jpg
That picture is misleading because of the contrast in the photo. Zoom in and you can see details over the balcony but it all appears as white light in the Florida sun.

Edit: This is what it looks like when sat at the edge:
three-broomsticks-islands-of-adventure-23.jpg

I won't deny this ride will be far more noticeable but that seating area is only one tiny part of Hogsmede that very few people go to. As long as the ride isnt visable from anywhere else I don't think it's that big a deal.

I think it's getting to a point now where enthusiasts will pick and moan about something no matter what they do. They will never be able to fully fully immerse you. There is only so much land available. It's a theme park not the real Jurrasic period.

I think what they have done with the land at IOA has been fantastic really given what they had to play with. It's as good as they could probably manage. It doesn't really bother me too much if you can see top of Hulk from certain places. It's a great big B&M beauty. It's not easily disguised on a skyline unfortunately.

Universal continue to blow me away with their additions. I really miss Jaws ride as it was a family favourite in our house but you can't argue with the quality that has come in it's place.

If that new JP coaster is anything like the fan made video released the other week it's going to be one of the best coasters in Florida. Enjoy it.

If I had to pick an area of each of the two theme parks that I’d like to see redeveloped, I’d personally go with KidZone in Universal Studios Florida and the Lost Continent in Islands of Adventure.

Well the rumours are that Kidzone may get replaced with Pokemon and Lost Continent with Zelda.

Given Lost Continent already has a very Zelda feel to it, this feels like it could work very well.
Pokemon I'm less sure on, but they are probably more timeless compared to Barney and Curious George. Hopefully ET gets to stay though as its almost the only opening day attraction left.

I am curious as to why Universal now has 3 launched coasters at Islands of Adventure (Hulk, Hagrid, and JP).

I guess it saves a bit of space but I am surprised they didn’t opt for the traditional lift hill just for a change.