Universal Studios/IOA Orlando: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by Alastair, 6th Aug 2012.

1. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I think Intamin have really gotten the balance right between intensity and comfort these days. While Maverick looks mind-blowingly intense, I’m of the belief that raw intensity doesn’t necessarily make a ride fun, and in a way, I can imagine some of those turns being so abrupt that they almost feel a bit uncomfortable, and so forceful that they might limit rerideability. Doesn’t Maverick have similar grains to Rita and Stealth? I can imagine some of those turns being a bit painful with Rita’s restraints... I guess some people prefer a more raw, aggressive ride, though, even if it’s not the most comfortable.

Admittedly, I haven’t ridden Maverick, so I shouldn’t really comment, but for my personal tastes, I think some of Intamin’s newer creations, like Taron and VelociCoaster, possibly look more my style, as they seem to hit that sweet spot where the ride is still really, really fun and thrilling, but isn’t so intense that it inhibits rerideability. I don’t know whether anyone who’s ridden Taron would agree with that statement, but that’s the gist I gather from what I’ve seen of Taron and VelociCoaster.

As for my personal VelociCoaster take; the only other multi-launchers I’ve done so far are Icon, Cheetah Hunt and Slinky Dog Dash. If I like VelociCoaster anywhere near as much as I like Icon, I’ll be really happy.

Skyscraper likes this.
  2. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    As you have said, you haven't been on Maverick - so I wouldn't recommend talking it down on the basis of it being "too much" until you have done a coaster that is set up in that way.

As I also explained, Maverick's trains have saw an overhaul in 2015 where they added comfort collars rather than what you have on Rita. The trains are much better now.

Maverick is not uncomfortable at all and very re-rideable. It's incredible.

it makes Icon and Cheetah Hunt look like children's rides.

Last edited: 3rd May 2021
  3. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Ah, apologies @AstroDan; as I say, I haven’t ridden Maverick, so I probably shouldn’t knock it until I’ve tried it! It gets rave reviews from practically everyone who’s ridden, so in a sense, I guess that speaks for itself! In all honesty, I think Maverick looks and sounds amazing, based on what I’ve seen and heard; I know you’re certainly a fan!

Out of interest, though; what do you mean by “a coaster that’s set up in that way”?

In many ways, it almost looks like what Rita could have been. They both have somewhat twisty layouts, they were both built in the mid-2000s, they’re both launched and they both had similar trains at one stage (until Maverick’s OTSRs were replaced with the padded ones). As much as I do really like Rita, I think Maverick looks a lot more extensive, a lot more themed and a lot more rounded as an overall ride, personally. I think an Intamin Blitz would fit wonderfully at Alton Towers; hopefully we might see one for SW9!
    EDIT: Whoops, forgot we were even in the Universal Orlando thread!

4. AstroDan

Favourite Ride:
    As in, just a coaster which is designed to have one element into the next, with variety between those elements and no real let-up in pacing.

After the boosted lift hill, the ride has a beyond vertical drop into intense turns into airtime into inversions into launch into crazy banking into airtime into brake run - with no real let up apart from a few short seconds before launch 2.

There aren't many of such rides about! Velocicoaster doesn't look too far off, to be honest - but not quite as BANG-BANG as Maverick. Taron isn't quite up there as it does have some dead spots.

MaxPower and Matt N like this.
  5. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    A really well paced intense ride crosses over from being "too intense" into simply mindblowingly good. It's why I love Nemesis but rides like Hulk and Kraken (Sea World) are fine but personally nothing special.

I've yet to watch a POV of Velocicoaster but from the look of it there's a lot to like!

jon81uk likes this.
  6. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    As someone who absolutely hates restrictive restraints, especially those found on Intamins... Maverick's are actually fine. It would probably be my number 1 with the new lap restraints but I'm not sure that would even be possible given how quickly it changes direction.

Maverick is such a unique coaster, there's really nothing quite like it.

VelociCoaster looks very similar to Taron.

John_P and AstroDan like this.
  7. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

Back in 2008 the only thing stopping Maverick from storming into my top coasters were the terrible restraints.

Was very disappointing at the time. See also iSpeed.

8. AstroDan

Favourite Ride:
    Is it me or should the dark ride portion before the first launch of Velocicoaster have a roller shutter/gates that make it darker (e.g. Blue Fire)? Feel like it's missing a trick.

@Benzin - have you re-done Maverick since they adjusted the restraints? It has made a difference.

9. Benjsh

Benjsh TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I loved Maverick on my visit to CP few years ago. It's got everything that coaster. It's sheer insanity and as a big chap of 6ft 5 and 15 stone I didn't find it at all uncomfortable.

I can see why many enthusiasts rate it higher than the monsters at that park such as Millennium Force, Steel Vengeance and TTD.

10. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

Unfortunately trips to Cedar Point are low on the agenda, so no.

They couldn't make the restraints worse tbh.

11. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Last edited: 10th Jun 2021
  12. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    VelociCoaster has now officially opened:

Skyscraper and Thameslink Rail like this.
  13. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Sorry for double posting, but interestingly, VelociCoaster is apparently having cages and plexiglass installed on and around the paths beneath the coaster due to safety concerns: https://wdwnt.com/2021/06/photos-ca...sts-below-at-universals-islands-of-adventure/

This move is believed to have been triggered by recent incidents involving loose objects, including a wig flying off the ride and ice being thrown at a train by spectators.

Skyscraper likes this.
  14. TheAverageNerd

TheAverageNerd TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Yeah unfortunately I read about some students on a graduation trip hurling ice at the train during the mosasaur roll. It's a huge shame that people have to ruin it for others and potentially injure other guests, but I guess this kind of thing happens wherever you go. It's good to see the park taking action to prevent this from happening again, it's just a shame that they have to take action in the first place.

15. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Promisingly, it would appear that Universal has patented a new restraint technology that aims to reduce motion sickness on its screen-based attractions: https://insidethemagic.net/2021/06/universal-motion-sickness-ad1/

The technology involves air being blown from certain angles onto the rider; something to do with the airflow apparently reduces motion sickness. The tech has already been tested, though, and did apparently cause a substantial reduction in motion sickness, so it’ll clearly be a winner if put on any new Universal attractions or retrofitted to existing ones!