• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Vekoma Rides Aquired by Sansei Technologies

Rob

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
I meant to post this the other day but did not get round to it. In what appears to have come out of the blue, Sansei Technologies (who also own S&S) have completed the 100% takeover of Vekoma.
Vekoma said:
Rollercoaster manufacturer Vekoma Rides acquired by Sansei Technologies

Vlodrop - Tokyo, March 30, 2018. Dutch roller coaster manufacturer Vekoma Rides (Vekoma), based in Vlodrop, the Netherlands, was acquired today by Sansei Technologies (Sansei), a Japanese company listed on Tokyo Stock Exchange. With the 100% acquisition of Vekoma (100% of the shares will be taken over), Sansei will increase its global market share in the field of designing, supplying and installing roller coasters. Headquartered in Osaka, Japan and active in the global entertainment equipment industry, Sansei achieved a turnover of around 225 million euros in 2017, largely from the sale of attractions to amusement parks and dynamic stage installations to theatres.

The collaboration with Sansei is the beginning of a new chapter in Vekoma’s development. Since the start in 2001, Vekoma has steadily grown into an innovative manufacturer of roller coasters. In addition to seeing geographical growth, Vekoma has also managed to position itself as a preferred supplier to a number of globally operating owners of leading theme parks. With the acquisition by Sansei, Vekoma can now further expand its leading position in the worldwide market of rollercoasters and other amusement park attractions.

Reputable partner

Vekoma’s takeover is a logical next step, according to its Management. Explains Kees van Biert, chairman of the Supervisory Board: “In recent years, a solid foundation has been laid, in which safety, innovation, quality and customer satisfaction have served as spearheads of our policy. In Sansei, we have found a reputable partner, with equivalent standards and values, who can offer continuity to the company and bring us even further. Through their presence and contacts, we also see opportunities to better serve new regions, such as Japan, Southeast Asia and North America.”

Governance structure

The conditions of the acquisition stipulate that no changes may be made to the strategy, management, terms of employment and the location of the business. Vekoma’s governance structure will, therefore, remain virtually unchanged after the acquisition, and its current management team will remain intact. Mr Nakagawa, CEO of Sansei, will sit on the Supervisory Board along with the current two Supervisory Board members, Mr Van Biert and Mr Steenbakker. The company will continue its activities under the same trade name as an independently operating company. The Works Council of Vekoma Rides, which was involved in the process from an early stage, gave a positive advice on the acquisition.

About Vekoma

Vekoma (vekoma.com) is a leading rollercoaster manufacturer – one of the world's most innovative. The focus of the company is on the development, production and installation of roller coasters and special attractions and after sales services for theme- and amusement parks. In addition to a portfolio ranging from thrill- to family rides, Vekoma is continuously working on the development of customized projects commissioned by and in close collaboration with a wide range of international clients. Its head office is located in Vlodrop, in the Netherlands, and with over 300 employees, Vekoma is an important employer in the region.

About Sansei Technologies

Sansei plans, designs, manufactures, installs, repairs and maintains attractions, stage installations, elevators and other designed equipment in Japan and beyond. The company's attractions include roller coasters, water attractions, dark rides and much more. It also offers stage equipment, such as sliding stages, mobile stage equipment, inclined floors and rotating stages. Founded in 1951 and formerly known as Sansei Yusoki Co., Ltd. the company changed its name to Sansei Technologies, Inc. in January 2014. It is headquartered in Osaka, Japan.

It is going to be interesting to see how this potentially impacts Vekoma and their operations. They do seem to be on the up at the moment so probably were an attractive aquisition. But Sansei hardly fill me with confidence, S&S seem to have been having their fair share of problems recently.

:)

Oh. That was... Unexpected! I do hope that it doesn't meddle with things at Vekoma too much as they actually seem to be doing some good things as of late and, as Rob rightly said, Sansei haven't filled me with confidence with their handling of S&S.

Vekoma have revealed their new "Top Gun" model - apologies if this is the wrong thread!

30516614_2147555428864033_5055837730492121088_o.jpg

30516653_2147555415530701_3259644216455725056_o.jpg

Here is a video showing offride and POV.

It looks excellent - hopefully more parks will buy these new Vekoma coasters. The two-car trains are interesting, I believe this particular model is going to one of the new Fantawild parks in China.

Last edited:
That does look really good. My only issue is that it could do with longer trains in order to gain a higher throughput.

What's happened to Vekoma? This isn't the same company of the years gone by...

I'm loving the way the company is heading, almost like a revival back into the mainstream - lets hope the Sansei acquisition doesn't hamper them. Although, they are being kept separate entities. Would love to see something like this for Drayton Manor - would reinvigorate the place again and they are so dearly in need of a new thrill ride.

Saw this yesterday and my initial reaction was that I thought Vekoma had been taken over by Sansei, not Intamin! Loving that layout, it carries great speed and has some wonderful snappy transitions.

I would love to see some of the more established theme parks in Europe and the USA look at getting some of these newer Vekomas.

:)

Would love to see something like this for Drayton Manor - would reinvigorate the place again and they are so dearly in need of a new thrill ride.
Good idea! Only problem is, it looks a tiny bit similar to the Maurer X-car, and Drayton would definitely want to diversify their coaster line up.
When it comes to the new gen Vekomas as a whole, I agree with you wholeheartedly though! The acquisition shouldn't spell bad for them in this regard as S&S and Vekoma are about as similar as chalk and cheese; nothing to stifle enterprise and innovation.

'Ingenuity That Moves You'... Not a bad slogan, certainly stronger than the original pitch, 'We're Sorry About All Those Boomerangs'.
HAHAHAHA!

Looks swish! They have some great people at Vekoma. Interested to see if S&S and Vekoma both continue to attack the steel coaster market or if S&S give way on that front.

I don't want to clog up the Phantasialand thread with discussion just about Vekoma, so apologies for a little duplication.

As mentioned, Vekoma have released some concepts for their new Flying Coaster:

46022102_2305275966371582_5345473497252495360_n.jpg

45931266_2305275943038251_4830387561320939520_n.jpg

Looking forward to seeing one built in the Grand Canyon! :p

Vekoma have also announced the new Suspended Thrill Coaster which seems to be relplacing the Suspended Looping Coaster (SLC). Though strangley they go on to described the Suspended Thrill Coaster as a suspended family coaster. Anyway, the model they have shown off, which I presume will be the standard off the shelf model like most SLCs, is Thunderbird:

ZPamvvJ.png

It should of course be mandatory that all SLCs are replaced with one of these (with Vekoma covering all costs as an apology for building such horrific coasters in the past).

Vekoma also look set to announce new models of the Motorbike Coaster and Mine Train Coaster. There is no mention on their website of a hyper coaster, I hope they've not ditched these plans after not winning the Engerylandia contract? Of course they could just class them as very large Sitdown Thrill Coasters.

Also no mention on their website of traditional Boomerangs, GIBs or Tilt Coasters. I wonder if these are being discontinued or just no longer advertised?

I do like this new Vekoma though. Expect to hear more during IAAPA this week.

Parks don't seem to be buying the standard Boomerangs or GIB's anymore so I can see why they'd be removed from the website, although I'm willing to bet that won't stop them from manufacturing on request. Given that Energylandia will no doubt go to Vekoma for the tilt coaster, it's probably just a case of no longer being advertised.

These products will place Vekoma in the perfect position to go up against competition now; hopefully there's a demand for them.

Vekoma have 3 new Boomerang's this year but none listed on RCDB from 2019 onwards. It's clearly a popular coaster model due to a low cost, small footprint but relatively high thrill level. I wonder if they would consider building them with their new track type.