• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

WDW: Disney Springs

Sam

TS Member
Disney just announced the redevelopment of Downtown Disney into Disney Springs DisneyDisneyDisneyDisneyDisneyDisneyDisneyDisney

Disney said:
Announcing Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort

Earlier today, we unveiled plans for Disney Springs, the exciting, multi-year transformation of Downtown Disney at the Walt Disney World Resort, and I’d like to give you all a glimpse into what we’ve got planned.

dts1178466SMALL.jpg

Walt Disney World Resort guests and local Florida residents have been enjoying Downtown Disney for more than 30 years, but we knew we had an opportunity to reimagine and reinvent this corner of the resort. We’ve spent a good deal of time thinking through just what we want this area to be, and how to bring it to life to make it a place unlike any other. And we have even scrapped a few preliminary plans that we felt didn’t measure up to our aspirations for this place.
Our fundamental goal is to create a welcoming, comfortable space where families can enjoy time together and instantaneously feel right at home. We want to give them opportunities to relax, to be entertained, to wander in and out of unique and distinctive shops or enjoy a world-class dining experience. And because we are Disney, we’ve anchored the entire experience around a story that gives us the ability to deliver on the legendary place-making and creativity for which we are known. The result is Disney Springs, a timeless and vibrant place that celebrates the turn-of-the century lakeside towns that dotted the Florida landscape.

The story of Disney Springs begins at our new Town Center, which is oriented around a series of bubbling natural springs that first attracted settlers to the area. From there, the town grew to encompass three additional neighborhoods: The Landing, Marketplace and West Side – each with its own distinct charm and atmosphere. For more about each of these districts, click here.
Once complete, Disney Springs will expand from 75 to more than 150 shopping, dining and entertainment venues, featuring some of the world’s most iconic brands and restaurants. Construction is set to begin next month. The expansion will open in phases and we expect to complete our development in 2016. We look forward to sharing more details in the future here on the Disney Parks Blog.

dts6678466SMALL.jpg

Sounds good. Downtown Disney was the most dissapointing thing about WDW when I visited last year. It really was cack. I spent two evenings there and had seen / done / been dissapointed by everything. I spent twice as much time and ten times as much money at Citywalk!

Screamscape said:
2016 - Disney Springs - (10/24/13) Walt Disney World, through their private government (Reedy Creek) is apparently now seeking funds to build as many as three pedestrian bridges over the busy Buena Vista Drive as part of the Downtown Disney transformation into Disney Springs over the next few years.

Good old Reedy Creek Improvement District, still hanging in there after fifty years. :p

Hopefully DisneyQuest will be razed to the ground, too!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Been a long while since we've had an update here. Work is well underway on Disney Springs, I'm not totally clued up on what is and isn't currently open and what's due to open when, apart from that it is due to be complete sometime in 2016.

Anyway, here are some aerial photos of progress so far from MouseSteps:

DSC_0918_2.jpg

DSC_0910.jpg

DSC_0922_2.jpg

DSC_0950_2.jpg

And a map of what is open at present:

DSC_1005.jpg

It's certainly a hive of activity. I'd imagine it is a somewhat strange place to be at the moment with all the work going on and construction walls up. Looking forward to seeing it myself in September though!

:)

It's still great place to spend some time even during all this construction work. When I was there late last year while the construction work did make some pathways very busy the place still had a great atmosphere, it's a great place to spend an evening or too. Parking was the issue last year which meant lots of traffic jams around the area (luckily we were staying within walking distance) as alot of the parking areas are where construction is taking place, all-though one of the huge multi stories is now open, which will make things easier.

Looking forward to seeing it all complete when next visit orlando in a few years time.

Today is the day that Downtown Disney officially becomes Disney Springs!

I never visited the old Downtown Disney however I was very impressed with Disney Springs this month and it is only going to get better as more opens. The atmosphere is brilliant, as are the shops and food. We spent a few evenings there as well as our final morning.

The new Hangar Bar opening during our trip and it is a delight.

I cannot wait to see it fully complete. Hopefully it doesn't take them too long - they need the second multistory open ASAP as it gets very busy at times!

I wouldn't recommend going anywhere near the place at the mo. It's chaotic enough at the best of times, but it's just ridiculous now. So much construction, with less walking space, and the same large crowds = just a completely unpleasant experience.

If you really have to go, go in the morning.

Disagree totally. Yes it is busy and space in limited but I would recommend it to anyone. I enjoyed each of my evening visits even when it was rammed and the quiet morning we had there was a nice change. Even when it was rammed none of the shops felt overly busy and we had dinner reservations so were fine with food.

Good news for fans of Mexican food:
Screamscape said:
Disney has confirmed that they will open a new restaurant called Frontera Fresco in Disney Springs from the mind of Rick Bayless, described as a celebrity chef known for winning Bravo's Top Chef Masters show and over half a dozen major awards. He current has an award winning restaurant in Chicago called Frontera Grill as well.

Now I'm not one to watch cooking game shows or even glance at the food network, but apparently this restaurant will feature an assortment of Mexican cuisine that will make your mouth beg for more, and I'm definitely down with that idea as Disney Springs could use a place to get some nice tacos and guacamole. Look for Frontera Fresco to open in the final phase build-out of Disney Springs sometime next year.

Sounds excellent, love a bit of Mexican! Should complement the existing options for food very well indeed.

Bump! Disney Parks Blog have revealed details of another new food offering opening at Disney Springs this May - D-Luxe Burger:
Disney Parks Blog said:
D-Luxe Burger Opening This May at Disney Springs

Today, I’m excited to share more details about the new D-Luxe Burger, opening this May at Town Center at Disney Springs. Soon to be known for its delicious gourmet burgers and twisted milkshakes, it’s the perfect place to grab a delicious bite in the eclectically comfortable western-inspired interior, or in the covered outdoor seating area that overlooks the springs.

There’s something for every burger aficionado, complete with unique toppings, freshly baked buns and a signature blend of beef. Gourmet burgers on the menu include:
  • Classic Cheeseburger – Beef patty topped with cheddar, lettuce, tomato and pickle
  • Barbeque Classic Burger – Beef patty topped with a fried onion ring, smoked Gouda, bacon, barbeque sauce and lettuce
  • El Diablo Burger – Chorizo-and-signature-blend patty, fried banana peppers, pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomato and chipotle mayonnaise
  • Southern Classic Burger – Beef patty, topped with fried-green tomato, pimento cheese, lettuce and bacon
  • Cluck Burger – Ground chicken patty, garlic herb sauce, avocado, lettuce and tomato
  • Veggie Burger – house-made patty topped with Tzatziki, green bean salad, lettuce and tomato
Freshly cut fries and your choice of dipping sauces are the perfect complement to your burger. Artisanal gelato shakes with rotating flavors that may include Vanilla, Chocolate, Raspberry, Strawberry, Salted Caramel, S’mores and Cake – sure to tempt your palate. Root beer, Cherry Coke and orange soda floats are also featured, as well as hard sodas, draft beer and cider. For adults, shakes with spirits include Smoked Bourbon and Beer and Godiva Raspberry.

As if gelato shakes weren’t sweet enough, the adorably delicious Red Velvet Burger Macaron is the perfect way for burger lovers to end a meal. Each macaron is lovingly handcrafted to look just like a burger, down to the raspberry ‘ketchup.’

Sounds rather tasty, wouldn't mind trying one of those El Diablo Burgers! Here are a few photos as well:

DLB489686.jpg

DLB489684.jpg

DLB489683.jpg

DLB489685.jpg

Take me back to Florida!

There are lots of great options now, can recommend blaze pizza and d-lux burger two of the best quick serve places in the resort, we are ate both a couple of times when we visited a few months back.