• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What are your favourite ride types to build in Planet Coaster?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. Planet Coaster is a game with many different ride types available to build, and if you’ve had lots of experience in the game, there are bound to be some ride types you have a preference for building over others. So I’d be intrigued to know; what are some of your favourite ride types to build in Planet Coaster? Which ride types are the ones that one of your parks often seems to have?

From my current experience with Planet Coaster, two spring to mind as being ride types I always really enjoy building:

• B&M hyper coasters (Rage) - I don’t know whether it’s the fact that my current number 1 coaster is a B&M hyper, but I’ve always enjoyed building these! It took me a bit of time to master those parabolic hills (you should have seen some of my earlier attempts!), but once I did, I must admit that there’s something I began to found incredibly satisfying about crafting the sprawling, airtime-filled layouts of these coasters!
  • GCI wooden coasters (Gnarler) - The wooden coaster is a staple of any theme park, but in Planet Coaster, I must admit that the GCI style is incredibly fun to build! GCI typically build rides that twist over and under themselves so many times, and have such dynamic, twisted layouts with lots of hidden pockets of airtime and speed, and I find that type of ride so fun to build!
But what are some of your favourite ride types to build in Planet Coaster?

I've built 3 Cascades (Mack Water Coaster) so I guess that's my go too ride. But there are a lot of coasters I haven't even touched yet. When I have an idea I tend to spend a while getting it right and ignore everything else until I do. The Wing Coaster I built went through 2 weeks worth of deleated designs.

The ride I spent longest on was a drop tower. So far that's been my favourite to work with.

I've built 3 Cascades (Mack Water Coaster) so I guess that's my go too ride.

And me. I don’t know what it is about them, but they’re very satisfying and offer great opportunities for themed scenes around the layout. Probably slightly biased for me given my love of Poseidon.

My other go-to is the game’s version of the B&M Flyer. They’re such fun to work with and, like the water coaster, rely on long swooping curves and manoeuvres to make them really work. I’ve got a couple of the go at the moment, one of which I might finally get around to posting on here at some point. I’m still yet to complete a “park”. I just have sandboxes full of half-baked ideas!

... I’ve got a couple of the go at the moment, one of which I might finally get around to posting on here at some point. I’m still yet to complete a “park”. I just have sandboxes full of half-baked ideas!
I feel this is the biggest downside to PlanCo (and any other new Theme Park game) vs RCT3. It's really easy to throw together a cool concept in half an hour. But to actually theme it and make it work well takes weeks (and that's without real world commitments). Because RCT3 didn't have the same level of polish it was easier to throw something together and have it look good enough, because your expectation of how it should look weren't as high.

Come to think of it, the Mack water coaster is one I use quite a bit too; I find that when building a “modern” park, the Mack water coaster offers a more modern staple water ride than the game’s equivalent of the traditional log flume (the PlanCo log flume is more akin to the older-style Arrow ones and doesn’t really have any of the fancy tricks that some of the newer ones have). As @Ian said, it also offers a good opportunity for a more experience-based coaster, with dark ride sections and coaster sections able to be blended quite seamlessly.
I feel this is the biggest downside to PlanCo (and any other new Theme Park game) vs RCT3. It's really easy to throw together a cool concept in half an hour. But to actually theme it and make it work well takes weeks (and that's without real world commitments). Because RCT3 didn't have the same level of polish it was easier to throw something together and have it look good enough, because your expectation of how it should look weren't as high.
I definitely find this myself. I do love Planet Coaster and the level of complexity and detail it lets you design things to, but it’s definitely something that requires motivation and a lot of time and effort; my first park took me about 9-10 months to complete, and it wasn’t even particularly detailed compared to some of the stuff I’m building now.

I really recomend doing a Mini-park. Somwhere in the range of 40 by 40 to 60 by 60 tiles. It's just big enough to build a proper coaster but small enough you can actually finish it. You can also focus on 1 theme rather than overcomplicate it with themed areas. If it goes well you can always add to it later.