• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What constitutes a credit?

Jonathan

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Helix <3
At a McDonald's near Birmingham yesterday, myself, John (Duckman), Gaz, Mike and Dagan were discussing one of the great questions regarding roller coasters: what constitutes a credit? Various theories were thrown about, with the major ones being 'If it's on RCT3, then it's a credit', 'If it has wheels and a track, then it's a credit', and 'If it's on RCDB, then it's a credit'. Personally, I'm not too sure, but I think one thing that needs to be thought about is the definition of a roller coaster.

I'm sure that this thread will provoke some interesting debate. :)

Well I don't class everything on RCDB as a coaster. Remember these...

1ef6bo1lj6s6jn07q0002n.jpg

The Heege Freizeittechnik Butterfly shouldn't be classed as a coaster, should it? :p

I'm not sure you can create a specific definition for what could be classed as a rollercoaster. Each construction has to be decided individually. As demonstrated, RCDB often includes things which are definitely not coasters, RCT3 lacks a lot of models which we would call rollercoasters and you certainly couldn't say anything with wheels and a track is a rollercoaster otherwise the West Coast Mainline certainly outdoes the Ultimate on length. ;)

OK, maybe the definition of 'If it has wheels and a track, then it's a credit' is a bit too broad. :p

Speaking personally, it's a credit if:

• It's a ride featuring a car running on rails
  • It has a series of undulations or turns to evoke a sense of thrill
  • Its main function is that of a rollercoaster and not a dark ride or a transport system
  • If common sense doesn't tell you it isn't

Blaze said:
But Olympia Looping isn't on RCDB and it's one of the best coasters ever built. ;)
Yes well obviously travelling coasters count, they just lack a location.

It's an interesting question. I've got an answer for "what is a water ride" but a coaster is harder to nail down because anything with wheels and a track could be one. Maybe a coaster should have to include sudden changes in height? That is after all the physical reason we don't just call Roller Coasters Trains.

Edit: what CGM's said in the second bullet point.

BigAl said:
Well I don't class everything on RCDB as a coaster. Remember these...

1ef6bo1lj6s6jn07q0002n.jpg

The Heege Freizeittechnik Butterfly shouldn't be classed as a coaster, should it? :p
What's always confused me is why these count as coasters but a Zamperla's Disc'o Coaster doesn't. Sure it's power but then so is a powered coaster. Not that either of these ride technically are coasters.

This question always seems to pop up sooner or later, so here it is, was Goldmine at PBB a powered coaster or dark ride?

It could be both... but I don't think it is a coaster, I just can't find any way to justify it.

I'm tempted to say what John Wardley would say which is "Get A Life!". :p

But this is a quite interesting question. I think them Butterfly coaster should count because if you built something like that in your back yard like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkVGooC22HI&feature=related[/youtube]

Then you would call it a Roller Coaster even though it isn't powered. :)

Although that home made coaster is arguably better than the Butterfly rides. :p