• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What do your friends & family think to theme parks?

I used to be embarrassed somewhat when first telling people about this hobby, it almost felt as if I were coming out to an extent. But the longer you do it and the more different people you meet from all walks of life, you realise it's just another hobby. My grandad always tried to encourage me to settle down rather than throwing money on a trip abroad for coasters, yet I'd find his idea of fun standing at the side of lakes fishing all day utterly dull. We all have different hobbies and different interpretations of them, no matter how niche. The main thing is that you do something you enjoy with like-minded people.

I mentioned theme parks briefly as a hobby in the interview for my new job recently and had an introductory lunch with my manager and his manager last week. They got quite in-depth with questions and seemed interested in where my passion had come from, the process of going abroad to visit parks rather than the usual touristy stuff, The Smiler accident, and various other tidbits. I've found that as time has gone on, and the more I've spoken to people about it, it's become naturally easier to outright talk about as a hobby.

I wouldn't say my mum LOVES theme parks, but it was always Blackpool, Camelot and Gullivers as a kid, with the occasional visit to Legoland and then abroad to DLP and Orlando (never Thorpe or Chessington, though!). She's fully to blame for the interest I've inherited, and I think it surprised her that it has now become a hobby from which I've built a core friend group around and have travelled to various countries as a part of. It was a bizarre concept to explain at first, but nowadays she feels like she knows most people from observing my travels and antics on social media (and has unfortunately met a few...). My friends outside of the theme park circle just tend to laugh when I say I'm off to a park, whether it be here or abroad ("oh of COURSE he's off to Towers again").

My family are okay with parks and enjoy the odd day out. We used to visit Alton Towers and Camelot every year at one point.
My dad will try pretty much everything while my mum is a bit selective and won't ride certain rides, such as Oblivion and Rita. My sister is quite scared of anything that goes upside down and hasn't been to any theme parks since she's really been tall enough to do anything. Although she reckons that if she went towers she'd consider doing wicker man. I used to talk quite a bit about theme parks to my family but I generally don't bother now as we don't really have the time. I think my parents both find it somewhat strange but also am glad I have a interest.

My friends just know I like rides, they don't really 'get' about being an enthusiast, probably because I've never really tried to explain it. One of my friends likes theme parks to but I have no idea if they are on an enthusiast level or not. I haven't really spoken much about my hobby to them.

Like what @Danny said, now I don't get weird looks, people usually just ask which country next, full well knowing I will spend at least 90% of the trip on a theme park.