• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What has been your most successful year as an enthusiast?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. With 2023 having recently started and 2022 having recently ended, there have been a lot of "2022 year in review" type threads around the internet for us to be able to talk about how good 2022 was for us. However, that might not reflect your most successful year as an enthusiast, so I'd be keen to know; of all the years you've been a theme park enthusiast, which would you say was your most successful? What year would you say you were most pleased with in terms of things you accomplished, or the number of new creds you rode, or the number of park days you had?

I'll get the ball rolling with my answer.

I could answer this question from the heart and talk about my own opinion of which year was most successful, but I thought it would be far more fun to try and answer it using various different statistics! There are so many different metrics by which you could determine a "successful" year, so I thought I'd try and explore a number of different coaster and park related statistics from my own enthusiast journey to see which years were best for me through different metrics...
Most New Coasters Ridden
Let's start with an obvious one; the number of new coasters I rode in a year! The top 3 years where I rode the most new coasters are as follows:
RankingYearNew Coasters Ridden
12014 and 201817
So by that metric, 2014 and 2018 are joint highest as my most successful year for new coasters, with a solid +17 being gained in both years! 2014 was a higher proportional gain to the count, as my 2013 count was vastly smaller than my 2017 count, but the raw gain is the same.

Most New Parks Visited
I might as well examine how many new parks I visited in each year too! The top 3 years where I visited the most new parks were as follows:
RankingYearNew Parks Visited
12014 and 20195
By that metric, 2014 and 2019 are joint highest as my most successful year for new parks, with a +5 being added to the park count in both years! As above, 2014 was a higher proportional gain due to my park count being smaller back then, but the raw gain is the same as it was in 2019.

Number of Coaster Rides
Riding new coasters is brilliant, but I'd argue that overall coaster rides could also be used as a success metric in itself! The top 3 years where I had the most coaster rides were as follows:
RankingYearOverall Coaster Rides
Interestingly, 2022, with 91 coaster rides having been taken, won the coaster ride stakes by an absolute landslide, beating out the 2nd place year by over 50%! Given that 2021 came second and 2019 came third, I'm clearly getting gradually better at riding lots of coasters in a year!

Number of Theme Park Days
It's not all about the coaster rides, so you could also use your total theme park days as a success metric! The top 3 years where I had the most theme park days were as follows:
RankingYearOverall Theme Park Days
32014 and 20229
2019 was the year with the highest number of theme park days for me, with 2 weeks having been spent in theme parks in total that year!

Number of Unique Coasters Ridden
Having lots of coaster rides in a year is all well and good, but if loads of those are just you lapping a few rides over and over, that doesn't offer a lot of variety, does it? With that in mind, I reckon the number of unique coasters ridden could be another good success metric! The top 3 years where I rode the most unique coasters were as follows:
RankingYearUnique Coasters Ridden
2019 was the year where I rode the most different coasters, with 32 different coasters having been ridden in total!

Number of Unique Parks Visited
Spending loads of days at theme parks is all well and good, but if 90% of those days are just you visiting Alton Towers over and over again, that's not a very diverse visitation range. As such, I think that the number of unique parks visited could be a good success metric! The top 3 years where I visited the most unique parks were as follows:
RankingYearUnique Parks Visited
22014 and 20166
32018, 2021 and 20224
2019 was the year where I visited the most different theme parks, with 10 different theme parks having been visited in total!

So overall, I think I can ascertain that 2019 has probably been my most successful year so far, seeing as it topped many of the success metrics and appeared in the top 3 for the vast majority of them! There are all kinds of ways you could measure success, but of the ones I used, 2019 seems to come out on top.

But which year has been your most successful since you became an enthusiast? Whether you answer from the heart or take a more statistical route like I did, I'd be really keen to know!

I’m not really one for keeping track of creds but the last two years have without a doubt been the most enjoyable for me visiting parks new and old. I still go with friends quite often but discovering my love for travelling solo abroad has allowed me to squeeze in some theme parks along the way that before I wouldn’t have either the confidence or motivation to want to do alone, maybe it’s just me but I think some of my favourite days at theme parks have been alone soaking up the atmosphere whilst I soak up beer and ride some great coasters.

Hi guys. With 2023 having recently started and 2022 having recently ended, there have been a lot of "2022 year in review" type threads around the internet for us to be able to talk about how good 2022 was for us. However, that might not reflect your most successful year as an enthusiast, so I'd be keen to know; of all the years you've been a theme park enthusiast, which would you say was your most successful? What year would you say you were most pleased with in terms of things you accomplished, or the number of new creds you rode, or the number of park days you had?

I'll get the ball rolling with my answer.

I could answer this question from the heart and talk about my own opinion of which year was most successful, but I thought it would be far more fun to try and answer it using various different statistics! There are so many different metrics by which you could determine a "successful" year, so I thought I'd try and explore a number of different coaster and park related statistics from my own enthusiast journey to see which years were best for me through different metrics...
Most New Coasters Ridden
Let's start with an obvious one; the number of new coasters I rode in a year! The top 3 years where I rode the most new coasters are as follows:
RankingYearNew Coasters Ridden
12014 and 201817
So by that metric, 2014 and 2018 are joint highest as my most successful year for new coasters, with a solid +17 being gained in both years! 2014 was a higher proportional gain to the count, as my 2013 count was vastly smaller than my 2017 count, but the raw gain is the same.

Most New Parks Visited
I might as well examine how many new parks I visited in each year too! The top 3 years where I visited the most new parks were as follows:
RankingYearNew Parks Visited
12014 and 20195
By that metric, 2014 and 2019 are joint highest as my most successful year for new parks, with a +5 being added to the park count in both years! As above, 2014 was a higher proportional gain due to my park count being smaller back then, but the raw gain is the same as it was in 2019.

Number of Coaster Rides
Riding new coasters is brilliant, but I'd argue that overall coaster rides could also be used as a success metric in itself! The top 3 years where I had the most coaster rides were as follows:
RankingYearOverall Coaster Rides
Interestingly, 2022, with 91 coaster rides having been taken, won the coaster ride stakes by an absolute landslide, beating out the 2nd place year by over 50%! Given that 2021 came second and 2019 came third, I'm clearly getting gradually better at riding lots of coasters in a year!

Number of Theme Park Days
It's not all about the coaster rides, so you could also use your total theme park days as a success metric! The top 3 years where I had the most theme park days were as follows:
RankingYearOverall Theme Park Days
32014 and 20229
2019 was the year with the highest number of theme park days for me, with 2 weeks having been spent in theme parks in total that year!

Number of Unique Coasters Ridden
Having lots of coaster rides in a year is all well and good, but if loads of those are just you lapping a few rides over and over, that doesn't offer a lot of variety, does it? With that in mind, I reckon the number of unique coasters ridden could be another good success metric! The top 3 years where I rode the most unique coasters were as follows:
RankingYearUnique Coasters Ridden
2019 was the year where I rode the most different coasters, with 32 different coasters having been ridden in total!

Number of Unique Parks Visited
Spending loads of days at theme parks is all well and good, but if 90% of those days are just you visiting Alton Towers over and over again, that's not a very diverse visitation range. As such, I think that the number of unique parks visited could be a good success metric! The top 3 years where I visited the most unique parks were as follows:
RankingYearUnique Parks Visited
22014 and 20166
32018, 2021 and 20224
2019 was the year where I visited the most different theme parks, with 10 different theme parks having been visited in total!

So overall, I think I can ascertain that 2019 has probably been my most successful year so far, seeing as it topped many of the success metrics and appeared in the top 3 for the vast majority of them! There are all kinds of ways you could measure success, but of the ones I used, 2019 seems to come out on top.

But which year has been your most successful since you became an enthusiast? Whether you answer from the heart or take a more statistical route like I did, I'd be really keen to know!
2018, as that was the year I turned 1.4. I would probably consider myself an enthusiast at that time although I was 10 for most of 2018, although I definitely did not know nearly as much as I know now.

Over 1/4 of my current cred count came from 2019 with trips to France, the USA and Italy. That year wins by a country mile for me.

2012 - first visit to Cedar Point

I'd always grown up going to amusement parks and theme parks but had sort drifted away from it. Went to a relatives for a birthday meal and they were telling me about the planned holiday for the following year which included New York and Vegas with a stop at Cedar Point along the way. To demonstrate they showed me videos of rides like Magnum, Millennium Force, and Top Thrill Dragster. Something just clicked in my head, a week later I visited Pleasure Beach for the first time in over 5 years. Joined a coaster forum. The next year I was regularly going to Towers and Pleasure Beach and attending club events and meet ups. So actually getting to the park that re started my love for parks and coasters was some moment.

2017 was the year I managed to get most creds which was 128. It was the year I joined ECC and went on their Dubai trip which was nice not to have to worry about all the logistics. Outside of the ECC I also managed to go on 7 other international trips covering Shanghai, Hong Kong, Japan, France, Belgium, Italy (Ai Pioppi!), Germany, Austria, Finland, Norway & Sweden. A pretty crazy year for me compared to normal but I knew I was about to buy a house and there was quite a few parks I wanted to visit before finances would be tighter.

I’d say my most successful year was 2019. I only managed two international trips this year but one of these was to Hong Kong, Macau, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Nanchang, Beijing, Shanghai, Wuhu, & Seoul and I was able to ride some coasters I remember looking at online and feeling like I would never get to ride (Wood Coaster, Python in Bamboo Forest, Starry Sky Ripper, Crystal Wings, Battle for Jungle King, Coaster Through the Clouds, Soaring with Dragon, Dinoconda, T Express & Atlantis Adventure). We also went to the Forbidden City and walked 7 miles across abandoned/overgrown sections of the Great Wall

And just for balance I went to EP 3 weeks ago but before then I hadn’t been away for two 1/2 years