• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What post length requires a TL;DR?

When I see a new topic I just read the topic and if it interests me I click on it otherwise I don’t bother.
Like the screens topic I commented on that as I been on many of theses attractions to say if they good or not but your cedar point vs Magic mountain topic I not clicked on as I not been to neither and it’s unfair to comment on as I only seen them in Shawn’s vlogs but keep doing the topics as for how many members on here there will be always someone to comment on them.

For me, long posts are only ever too long when they are unnecessarily long. On the right subject an absolute wall of text is fine if the content is relevant and not repetitive.

If you really would like constructive feedback, and I do mean feedback not criticism, then I'd say you could be more efficient if you are concerned about your post lengths. It does feel like you need to qualify and apologise for every point you make, and as a reader that can make finding the relevant information less easy. As an example, this quote is basically the same as your initial post here; just as friendly and makes the same point but with about a third of the words removed. Removed bits underneath...

I’ve garnered increasing criticism surrounding the often excessive length of my posts as of late. I want my posts to be able to appeal to the highest amount of people possible, so I thought about starting to add TL;DRs to my posts to allow people to not have to read my full ramblings if they don’t want to.

For those of you that don’t know, TL;DRs are basically internet slang for a summary. They’re a way to sum up a long piece of writing in a small amount of words.

So I only wanted to ask; what sort of post length requires a TL;DR? Is there a particular word count or amount of reading time that requires one, or should I just judge by eye? I don’t want to give people more than they want to handle when I post, I’m not a concise writer by nature (my natural writing style is one of “it’s all in the details” that tells the reader my opinion through a longer ramble), but I would like to try and offer a more concise version of my posts.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated; I am genuinely keen to hear people’s thoughts on this so that I can become a better poster and appeal to more people on here.

Sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum for this, but I thought I should make a thread because - stop apologising

as long posts are clearly not everyone’s cup of tea, - conveyed in post already

or struggle to - unnecessary differentiation

, from what I can gather - you know this, be confident

, in your view - any response will be the responders view

in your view, - again!

I apologise for not asking this earlier, as - no, really. STOP APOLOGISING!

and many of my posts are clearly a bit too long for some… repetition of point

for those who don’t like long posts. - repetition of point

as opposed to one that is short, snappy and says everything that I need to say in a limited number of words - repetition of point

The only thing that actually annoys me is posters apologising for and overly justifying having an opinion. Just to reiterate, I don't mean this to be critical, just helpful. You do you!

For me, long posts are only ever too long when they are unnecessarily long. On the right subject an absolute wall of text is fine if the content is relevant and not repetitive.

If you really would like constructive feedback, and I do mean feedback not criticism, then I'd say you could be more efficient if you are concerned about your post lengths. It does feel like you need to qualify and apologise for every point you make, and as a reader that can make finding the relevant information less easy. As an example, this quote is basically the same as your initial post here; just as friendly and makes the same point but with about a third of the words removed. Removed bits underneath...

Sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum for this, but I thought I should make a thread because - stop apologising

as long posts are clearly not everyone’s cup of tea, - conveyed in post already

or struggle to - unnecessary differentiation

, from what I can gather - you know this, be confident

, in your view - any response will be the responders view

in your view, - again!

I apologise for not asking this earlier, as - no, really. STOP APOLOGISING!

and many of my posts are clearly a bit too long for some… repetition of point

for those who don’t like long posts. - repetition of point

as opposed to one that is short, snappy and says everything that I need to say in a limited number of words - repetition of point

The only thing that actually annoys me is posters apologising for and overly justifying having an opinion. Just to reiterate, I don't mean this to be critical, just helpful. You do you!
Cheers for the feedback @pluk; I do very much appreciate it!