• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Why has the UK never fully embraced indoor theme parks/indoor attractions?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Warning in advance: This post ended up far longer than I’d anticipated when I started writing, so I apologise in advance for the sheer length of it, as I know that it’s a lot to take in.

Hi guys. One of the many things that the United Kingdom is arguably infamous for is its weather; here in Britain, it’s quite often either cold, wet or both. So naturally, that would be the sort of climate that would really lend itself to indoor attractions, right? Well, interestingly, I’d argue that Britain has never really embraced indoor theme parks, or even indoor attractions within its outdoor theme parks, to the extent that you might expect, and I’ll admit that that does surprise me a little.

Now, I’m not saying that indoor attractions have never been embraced in Britain by any means. At one time, outdoor theme parks were installing indoor rides in big numbers; enclosed coasters were all the rage in the 80s and 90s, to offer that “British answer to Space Mountain”, and dark rides were also very popular, with numerous parks, even including some smaller names, choosing to install some pretty large-scale ones.

However, this popularity seems to have wavered in more recent years, and many indoor attractions have faced the chopping block as of late; enclosed coasters in particular seem to have suffered a massive fall in prevalence within the UK, with the only ones currently remaining being The Walking Dead at Thorpe Park, Crazy Mouse at Gulliver’s Milton Keynes and Astro Storm at Brean Theme Park. Once popular names such as Raptor Attack, The Black Hole and Space Invader 2 have since been removed (although SI2 did stay within the UK and become the aforementioned Astro Storm), as well as Thunder Mountain at Flamingo Land (a ride I’ll admit I’d never heard of until just now). In terms of dark rides, major attractions like Pirate Adventure at Drayton Manor have also faced the chop in recent years, and one of the more recent dark rides built in the UK, Nemesis Sub-Terra at Alton Towers, only lasted for 3 years. New indoor rides also aren’t being installed at anywhere near the frequency they once were, and not as much as you might expect; the newest major one I can think of is Derren Brown’s Ghost Train at Thorpe Park, which is now 5 years old, and that only came after quite a substantial drought.

An area in which this country has had far less action, however, is in fully indoor theme parks. I’ll admit that this surprises me, for numerous reasons. We have had some, but they either seem to have not been very successful, or been removed in favour of alternative things. I can think of two notable examples of indoor theme parks (well, indoor places with rides) in Britain, both of which are now unfortunately defunct or have been repurposed for alternative uses.

The most notable example I can think of is MetroLand, located within the MetroCentre in Gateshead. If you don’t know much about it and how it was conceived, here’s a really informative documentary courtesy of Expedition Theme Park:

MetroLand is an interesting one, because I arguably think that it shows that indoor theme parks most definitely can work in the UK; despite arguably not having the most groundbreaking attraction lineup, the park still managed to get 1.2 million paying riders each year on its attractions. This made it one of the country’s most visited theme parks, and it maintained this success right through to its closure in 2008. The park was very popular, although it sadly eventually closed in favour of a new cinema as the new owners of the MetroCentre thought that expanding retail would be more viable, and the park had for some reason gained quite a poor reputation by the end of its run. As I say, this park was successful in spite of not having the most ground-breaking of attraction lineups.

The second attraction I’m talking about is the Trocadero Centre in London. In the late 90s, this park added numerous amusement rides and attractions, the most notable of which was the Pepsi Max Drop, an Intamin drop tower which operated from 1997 through to around 2000. In spite of having some rather impressive attractions, the Trocadero Centre never really took off visitor numbers-wise, and as such the rides were removed only a few years after they opened.

In spite of some of the previous indoor successes (MetroLand and the various dark rides and enclosed coasters built in the 80s and 90s), and the factor of climate that indoor attractions in Britain really have going for them, the potential of indoor attractions never seems to have been fully explored in Britain, and I’m not really sure why. Through the lens of indoor theme parks in particular, the only ones that have explored the prospect seem to have met their untimely demise for various different reasons; either because the public did not respond well to them or because the owners of the wider space simply didn’t want a theme park. Nobody really capitalised on MetroLand’s huge success, or at least capitalised on it successfully or fully, which I think is quite sad, as I think an indoor theme park like the Nick Universe parks or Galaxyland that they have stateside could be a tremendous success in Britain, for various reasons. Rather perplexingly, indoor theme parks do not seem to have caught on here in Britain like they did over in the States.

In terms of what the future holds for indoor attractions in Britain; I’m not really 100% sure, although numerous developments are making me cautiously optimistic. Firstly, the Blackpool Central development opening in 2023 looks like one to watch; rides-wise, it only looks to contain the flying theatre, but I think it could potentially represent an exciting foundation for a brilliant indoor theme park if all goes well. The London Resort is also saying that 70% of their attractions will be undercover, which is an incredibly substantial percentage compared with the UK’s other existing theme parks.

So my question to you is; why do you think that the potential of indoor attractions in Britain arguably hasn’t been fully explored, especially in recent years? Why do you think that the ones that have been built have failed, sometimes in spite of their huge success? Why have the big outdoor parks in the country not been expanding their indoor lineup, or why has nobody built Britain’s answer to Nickelodeon Universe? I’d be really keen to hear your thoughts; do you agree with me?

Last edited:
Warning in advance: This post ended up far longer than I’d anticipated when I started writing, so I apologise in advance for the sheer length of it, as I know that it’s a lot to take in.

Hi guys. One of the many things that the United Kingdom is arguably infamous for is its weather; here in Britain, it’s quite often either cold, wet or both. So naturally, that would be the sort of climate that would really lend itself to indoor attractions, right? Well, interestingly, I’d argue that Britain has never really embraced indoor theme parks, or even indoor attractions within its outdoor theme parks, to the extent that you might expect, and I’ll admit that that does surprise me a little.

Now, I’m not saying that indoor attractions have never been embraced in Britain by any means. At one time, outdoor theme parks were installing indoor rides in big numbers; enclosed coasters were all the rage in the 80s and 90s, to offer that “British answer to Space Mountain”, and dark rides were also very popular, with numerous parks, even including some smaller names, choosing to install some pretty large-scale ones.

However, this popularity seems to have wavered in more recent years, and many indoor attractions have faced the chopping block as of late; enclosed coasters in particular seem to have suffered a massive fall in prevalence within the UK, with the only ones currently remaining being The Walking Dead at Thorpe Park, Crazy Mouse at Gulliver’s Milton Keynes and Astro Storm at Brean Theme Park. Once popular names such as Raptor Attack, The Black Hole and Space Invader 2 have since been removed (although SI2 did stay within the UK and become the aforementioned Astro Storm), as well as Thunder Mountain at Flamingo Land (a ride I’ll admit I’d never heard of until just now). In terms of dark rides, major attractions like Pirate Adventure at Drayton Manor have also faced the chop in recent years, and one of the more recent dark rides built in the UK, Nemesis Sub-Terra at Alton Towers, only lasted for 3 years. New indoor rides also aren’t being installed at anywhere near the frequency they once were, and not as much as you might expect; the newest major one I can think of is Derren Brown’s Ghost Train at Thorpe Park, which is now 5 years old, and that only came after quite a substantial drought.

An area in which this country has had far less action, however, is in fully indoor theme parks. I’ll admit that this surprises me, for numerous reasons. We have had some, but they either seem to have not been very successful, or been removed in favour of alternative things. I can think of two notable examples of indoor theme parks (well, indoor places with rides) in Britain, both of which are now unfortunately defunct or have been repurposed for alternative uses.

The most notable example I can think of is MetroLand, located within the MetroCentre in Gateshead. If you don’t know much about it and how it was conceived, here’s a really informative documentary courtesy of Expedition Theme Park:

MetroLand is an interesting one, because I arguably think that it shows that indoor theme parks most definitely can work in the UK; despite arguably not having the most groundbreaking attraction lineup, the park still managed to get 1.2 million paying riders each year on its attractions. This made it one of the country’s most visited theme parks, and it maintained this success right through to its closure in 2008. The park was very popular, although it sadly eventually closed in favour of a new cinema as the new owners of the MetroCentre thought that expanding retail would be more viable, and the park had for some reason gained quite a poor reputation by the end of its run. As I say, this park was successful in spite of not having the most ground-breaking of attraction lineups.

The second attraction I’m talking about is the Trocadero Centre in London. In the late 90s, this park added numerous amusement rides and attractions, the most notable of which was the Pepsi Max Drop, an Intamin drop tower which operated from 1997 through to around 2000. In spite of having some rather impressive attractions, the Trocadero Centre never really took off visitor numbers-wise, and as such the rides were removed only a few years after they opened.

In spite of some of the previous indoor successes (MetroLand and the various dark rides and enclosed coasters built in the 80s and 90s), and the factor of climate that indoor attractions in Britain really have going for them, the potential of indoor attractions never seems to have been fully explored in Britain, and I’m not really sure why. Through the lens of indoor theme parks in particular, the only ones that have explored the prospect seem to have met their untimely demise for various different reasons; either because the public did not respond well to them or because the owners of the wider space simply didn’t want a theme park. Nobody really capitalised on MetroLand’s huge success, or at least capitalised on it successfully or fully, which I think is quite sad, as I think an indoor theme park like the Nick Universe parks or Galaxyland that they have stateside could be a tremendous success in Britain, for various reasons.

In terms of what the future holds for indoor attractions in Britain; I’m not really 100% sure, although numerous developments are making me cautiously optimistic. Firstly, the Blackpool Central development opening in 2023 looks like one to watch; rides-wise, it only looks to contain the flying theatre, but I think it could potentially represent an exciting foundation for a brilliant indoor theme park if all goes well. The London Resort is also saying that 70% of their attractions will be undercover, which is an incredibly substantial percentage compared with the UK’s other existing theme parks.

So my question to you is; why do you think that the potential of indoor attractions in Britain arguably hasn’t been fully explored, especially in recent years? Why do you think that the ones that have been built have failed, sometimes in spite of their huge success? Why have the big outdoor parks in the country not been expanding their indoor lineup, or why has nobody built Britain’s answer to Nickelodeon Universe? I’d be really keen to hear your thoughts; do you agree with me?

There are some pretty good indoor parks out there but they don't really get much press
The Milky Way in Devon is lovely, the headline attraction is Ziggy's Blast Quest, a shooting Dark Ride/Suspended Coaster but there are also dodgems, a SCI-FI memorabilia museum and an outdoor area with a railway and Zyklon style coaster.
There is also Adventure Inside, part of Adventure Island in Southend it includes a carousel, pirate ship, drop tower and play area, it opens on weekdays when the main park is shut.
I think the public associate indoor parks with attractions more like soft play areas, bowling alleys and arcades (and many towns have a leisure centre with all three of those).

There are some pretty good indoor parks out there but they don't really get much press
The Milky Way in Devon is lovely, the headline attraction is Ziggy's Blast Quest, a shooting Dark Ride/Suspended Coaster but there are also dodgems, a SCI-FI memorabilia museum and an outdoor area with a railway and Zyklon style coaster.
There is also Adventure Inside, part of Adventure Island in Southend it includes a carousel, pirate ship, drop tower and play area, it opens on weekdays when the main park is shut.
I think the public associate indoor parks with attractions more like soft play areas, bowling alleys and arcades (and many towns have a leisure centre with all three of those).
I’m not denying that there are some brilliant indoor attractions in Britain. I’m merely questioning why the potential of indoor attractions hasn’t been capitalised upon more, both in terms of indoor rides within outdoor theme parks and in terms of fully indoor theme parks.

I’ve always thought that a properly huge indoor theme park with properly substantial rides (think Nick Universe/Galaxyland/Adventuredome) would work brilliantly in Britain, personally.

I’m not denying that there are some brilliant indoor attractions in Britain. I’m merely questioning why the potential of indoor attractions hasn’t been capitalised upon more, both in terms of indoor rides within outdoor theme parks and in terms of fully indoor theme parks.

I’ve always thought that a properly huge indoor theme park with properly substantial rides (think Nick Universe/Galaxyland/Adventuredome) would work brilliantly in Britain, personally.
I completely agree with you, the examples I've given are only local parks with low patronage. I am surprised that there aren't really any larger ones however I presume the cost of building one would be quite large. One thing I think might happen is because a lot of shopping malls are in decline or closing, the buildings could be used for other purposes like leisure. A reasonably large disused mall with multiple stories I think would be ideal for an indoor park.

I completely agree with you, the examples I've given are only local parks with low patronage. I am surprised that there aren't really any larger ones however I presume the cost of building one would be quite large. One thing I think might happen is because a lot of shopping malls are in decline or closing, the buildings could be used for other purposes like leisure. A reasonably large disused mall with multiple stories I think would be ideal for an indoor park.
I actually think a stand-alone one, without a shopping mall to necessarily support it, would work pretty well, personally. Many other forms of indoor entertainment have grown very popular in recent years; take things like indoor trampoline parks, for instance, and indoor adventure parks, as well as things like escape rooms and even Merlin’s midway attractions. I don’t see why a substantially-sized indoor theme park couldn’t be just as popular as any of these, personally.

You can do some properly brilliant things with indoor theme parks these days; look at Nickelodeon Universe that opened in the American Dream Mall in New Jersey in 2019. That park has Shellraiser, the world’s steepest roller coaster; a genuinely huge ride that is actually a clone of an outdoor coaster, and not an insignificant one by any means. The park also has 4 other roller coasters and loads of other fairly substantial rides. Putting your park indoors does not limit what you can do; if a British indoor park was to be built with a similarly eye-catching ride lineup to this, then I personally think it would be a huge success.

Last edited:
To be fair there is fantasy island, which when opened was pretty much all indoor, except for one or two rides out the front. Of course over time there is no room to expand indoor so it’s naturally just been built around the dome on the car parks.

I always remember when it was new there were always plans showing other domes behind built around the other dome, meaning more rides inside. But I guess the cost of a massive dome is expensive, when it’s far cheaper to just build the rides outside on a car park.

I guess there are a few reasons why we don’t have any indoor parks, the main one being the cost! Theme parks are not cheap to built to start with, so to build a new park now would be expensive, not even thinking about a building.

It’s also fairly hard to make an indoor theme park look highly themed, fantasy island does well now since the made the indoor dark, as you can add nice lighting and effects. But you look at some of those indoor parks which are full of glass roofs, they tend to look a bit empty and lack in theming, I guess as it’s hard to theme well indoor.

I actually think a stand-alone one, without a shopping mall to necessarily support it, would work pretty well, personally. Many other forms of indoor entertainment have grown very popular in recent years; take things like indoor trampoline parks, for instance, and indoor adventure parks, as well as things like escape rooms and even Merlin’s midway attractions. I don’t see why a substantially-sized indoor theme park couldn’t be just as popular as any of these, personally.

You can do some properly brilliant things with indoor theme parks these days; look at Nickelodeon Universe that opened in the American Dream Mall in New Jersey in 2019. That park has Shellraiser, the world’s steepest roller coaster; a genuinely huge ride that is actually a clone of an outdoor coaster, and not an insignificant one by any means. The park also has 4 other roller coasters and loads of other fairly substantial rides. Putting your park indoors does not limit what you can do; if a British indoor park was to be built with a similarly eye-catching ride lineup to this, then I personally think it would be a huge success.
You raise some good points, where do you think would be the best place for an indoor park? London has the advantage of having a high population and easy public transport access but the disadvantage of having a lot of competition with the various other attractions including theatres and museums.
Otherwise, one could go on the coast to revitalise an existing seaside resort or an existing large disused building could be repurposed e.g. In Germany there is a waterpark in a former airship hangar, In Wales there is a cave complex containing a trampoline park. I don't know if we have any such places in England and the demand to make such an attraction.
(And yes of course I know about those weird attractions from Tom Scott videos)

Considering the strict planning regulations for some parks (particularly regarding noise), I'm kinda surprised as well there's not more major indoor parks ever been considered. Obviously like you could barely just build a small thrill coaster at best in a tin shed, but look at places like MoA. I thought that would work well in the UK.

Big buildings are expensive to build and maintain. Multiple big rides need very big buildings.

People dont like being 'stuck inside' all day.

While we dont always have the nicest weather we rarely have uncomfortable extremes of heat, cold, wind, rain or snow the people need to shelter from.

I imagine the best chance we have of ever getting a true indoor theme park will be when large shopping centres need to be repurposed once retail has properly collapsed.

I think a young kids park could work indoors as they can be open every day of the week and parents and kids would be happy but on the down side it can have its problems. Watermouth Castle last year couldn’t open as 50% of its attractions are indoors in a old castle so impossible to social distance and keep clean.
Pirate adventure may have closed at Drayton Manor but the park got many attractions that’s in doors or the queue is.

Interesting article about my old haunt of the 90's, the Trocadero, Funland, SegaWorld, Alien War. The conclusion being the fairly obvious most of the things they can reasonably and economically provide at somewhere like this is pretty much available at home now, as is the socialising that came with it.

I think the answer is simple and that is the cost.

That's presumably the reason parks with fantastic indoor areas/dark rides are made almost exclusively by Disney, Universal (and now billionaires in the UAE).

Good job one of those three is coming to the UK :hearteyes:

They've recently opened Gravity Maxx in Liverpool One which has all manner of arcades, batting cages, go karts, food, and drink and that seems to be busy since it opened. Would've loved a coaster.

Don't forget Babylon Park in London has only been opened less than 2 years, so hopefully success with that might see the owners open more premises in the UK or a copycat chain.

Visited a couple of family entertainment centres (FECs) in America and they all have a collection of activities, arcades, and of course a family/junior coaster. Fun fact in Wisconsin Dells a coaster in an FEC cost me $7 when the day before my ticket for Mount Olympus cost $5.

As some have mentioned cost is a huge factor but also most of our theme parks are old country estates and as such have restrictions on what can or can't be built.

Thorpe and Pleasurebeech being the two big exceptions. Parks abroad that are based indoors tend to be newer and designed specifically for the climate. Universal has the chance to include indoor areas minus the restrictions and budget issues other parks have.

I know it’s not the same but the Trafford Centre has dodgems in the arcade, along with the Nerf Centre, bowling alleys, adventure golf etc. plus the indoor ski slope and sky diving centre.

There’s also the upcoming water park and ice rink and outdoor surfing centre all on the way.

And it often has a travelling fair outside for various events.

With all these attractions doing well maybe they’ll build a hyper on the car park one day? 😂

Metroland was actually my local theme park growing up - I was under the assumption that every shopping centre had a theme park, so imagine my surprise when I visited another and realised that wasn't the case! Annoyingly my parents said I could go on my own with friends once I hit ten... and then they removed it that year!

It was a really unique fun area, even if you weren't on a ride it had such a good atmosphere as everything was packed in so tightly and it felt really heavily themed. So depressing that it got replaced with a super generic movies and eating area...

There's actually still a gorgeous themed area inside the metro centre that's themed around an old Italian village, but I worry that won't last much longer given the trend of moving towards minimalism and white gloss.