• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

Some people are now trying to claim compensation from Towers... also, one person asked why they don't install heaters on the coasters.

That would be incredibly inefficient, not to mention impractical! Imagine how much energy a standard heater uses, scale it up to coaster size and manage to do it over terrain like the Nemesis pit!

And this is what I was saying. They knew they might have to cancel coasters and said nothing. Fact is they stated everything would be open. When they announced it the weather forecast had IMPROVED. So what does that tell people. I understand they can' control the weather and I feel sorry for them but they don't help themselves. Put the risk of lost revenue aside and just be honest with the people that are your customer base.

Exactly. My GF was checking Twitter on way down and at 15:30 they were still giving the impression of business as usual! It was way too late for us that point so we are here anyway.

I think they need to be a bit more clear to visitors, that will probably stop any animosity. If they have any doubt that the rides will be open then they should think of the customers and say that the rides are definitely closed. If the weather improves in the morning then announce that the rides are open. I know they'd never do this because of profits etc, but it would be nice to think of the customers for once rather than their pockets.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That would be incredibly inefficient, not to mention impractical! Imagine how much energy a standard heater uses, scale it up to coaster size and manage to do it over terrain like the Nemesis pit!
Also they already have heaters on some of the coasters... in the station heating the wheels/track. So to the idiots asking for heaters - "It's too cold to run them even with the heaters on"

I've got a feeling that even if they don't bring in staff for the other coasters, they may still have the Wicker Man team on standby just in-case. That's only a personal feeling. I may try to go to sleep in a bit and then see how things are looking in the morning. Cold, probably.

Whether or not the rides open might not just be about whether they can physically operate. It also comes down to how safe it would be to do an evacuation (for example if a train did valley) or how long guests could be safely stuck on a ride. Remember when people were stuck for five hours on Rameses Revenge at Chessington? Imagine if that had been on a day when it was sub zero and snowing. I'm not saying this is the reasoning I would take and I've been at Liseberg when it snowed most of the time I was there and the rides stayed open. But Alton Towers has managed to get in the newspapers when a train stopped briefly on Galactica's lift hill. Imagine the headlines if this had happened in the snow.

Kinda of like when the monorail stopped for half hour on a slightly warm day last year? From the headlines you would have thought it broke down in death valley

On a slightly more positive note, has anyone heard anything from tonight's press event?

Just a random question, but TowersStreet's new page for Wicker Man says that the ride's maximum height restriction is 188cm or 6ft 2in. Is this true, as everywhere else only states the 1.2m minimum height restriction, including Alton's map?

Fair point and I understand that. Some of it just comes across a bit brash and look at me considering the controversy over tomorrow.
Totally agree. Some will even be revelling in the fact that there's a likely closure tomorrow. Deep down there will be a "I got to ride it and you didn't" vibe about a lot of it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk