Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craig, 14th Mar 2018.

1. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

Probably a mix of the unusual angle of the lift hill and the fact they have quite basic chain tensioning. If you look at most steel coasters the chain usually runs through an array of gears near the base of the lift hill to tension the whole chain including on the return.

Wooden coasters seem not to do this (well GCI don’t), unsure why.

Alsty likes this.
  2. Matt.GC

Matt.GC TowersStreet Member

I thought I went mad for a minute and read that : a. Someone thinks that the gentle train ride that is Blue Fire is better than Icon and b. Alton should actually be encouraged to turn off smoke effects on a ride!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

3. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Off topic here but I'd say the general consensus is that Blue Fire is superior to Icon.

Describing Blue Fire as being a "gentle train ride" whilst comparing the two is, I would argue, extremely ironic. I used to think Blue Fire's launch was tame until I rode Icon, but it's positively thrilling by comparison.

RicketyCricket likes this.
  4. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Captaincoaster.com disagrees

5. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    How dare people have different opinions :laughing:

Last edited: 9th Sep 2020
    MakoMania and jon81uk like this.
  6. Matt.GC

Matt.GC TowersStreet Member

Blue Fire disappoints me the more I ride it. Neither ride is about thrilling launches, they seem to be used more of a means of gaining momentum than thrills in their own right. BF seems to meander around in extremely comfortable seats and restraints doing very little, whereas on Icon I found myself floating all over the place. I don't know if it's just the fact it's in EP or the fact it's the first of its kind that means BF gets more respect than I think it deserves, but I personally find the layout very dull.

But I'm about to be told off for going way off topic, so I'll digress to the WM smoke issue. I doubt some water vapour would cause any more damage than the sheer amount of rain that falls on the structure during closed season. With a pretty average and small layout, taking away any theming effects from Wickernan will seriously degrade the experience. WM is good because of the overall experience, the coaster layout on it's own simply won't cut the mustard.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

skyscraper likes this.
  7. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

Each to their own but to my mind Icon is a well presented monorail. It does absolutely nothing.

Anyway that is waaaaaaaaaaaay off topic.

D4n, Steve74 and skyscraper like this.
  8. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

Been on wicker man and th13een so far. Not bad waits 40 mins for wicker man and 15 for Th13teen and now I'm in the queue for Galactica. The park seems really quiet around the paths and grounds but the queues seem long. That being said it's certainly a lot quieter than it was in the summer and the crowd levels are much more reasonable

Matt N and Connor98 like this.
  9. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Historically weekdays from about now until scarefest have always been the quietest days of the year (hence they were going to be closed days or 4pm closures). I would have been more surprised if it was busy.

10. Connor98

Connor98 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    Ive got a mate who's gone today and it looks slightly busier than yesterday, probably why it's been extended. Nemmy and the dark forest was pretty much walk on by 3pm yesterday.

Ethan likes this.
  11. Mikw

Mikw TowersStreet Member

Went today. Quiet on the paths, queuelines fairly busy but quieter than they have been this year so far.

Social distancing, and limited loading makes the queues longer - and i have to say it was well observed with many announcements.

Kudos to the lady on the Smiler PA - she said "Masks must be worn in the indoor section of the queueline, on the ride, and in the shop - that means you! Yes you, picking your nose!", The offender in question then put on his mask.

12. Burbs

Burbs TS Site Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    Has anyone else ridden Wicker Man since it's has its retrack? The section that's been altered is incredibly rough compared to the rest of the layout!

skyscraper likes this.
  13. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    That's interesting, thought the whole point of re-tracking is to make it smoother. :p:confused:

14. Burbs

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    I'm not sure it's the "point", but it's certainly an effect of a retrack usually. Not this time! If the whole ride was as rough as that bit it would be very, very unpleasant to ride.

skyscraper likes this.
  15. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

It's not too bad imo I just think that bit is insane more than anything. The only rough ride as such at towers imo is the smiler. And that's only the last few inversions aswell

16. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Out of interest @Burbs, when did you last ride? Some people were beginning to find the drop rough towards the end of the 2019 season/the start of the 2020 season, with some even complaining of back pain caused by that section.

I found it fine in July, and I have a very low roughness tolerance, but these rides can vary, and your report has made me somewhat more worried to get back on it than I was. I don’t have a high tolerance for things that are rough, so I’m slightly worried I really won’t like it if it is really rough when I go back on it.

One thing I admit I find odd about Wicker Man is that it has seemingly aged more poorly than a lot of other GCIs. Many people say that it’s not the smoothest compared to other GCIs at only 2 years old, whereas GCIs of a somewhat comparable age like Heidi and Mystic Timbers are apparently much smoother, and even slightly older GCIs like Wodan, Troy and Joris are apparently much smoother.

skyscraper likes this.
  17. Burbs

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    Before yesterday I last rode it in July this year. It's only for a few seconds so I wouldn't worry about it, and as far as I can tell the rest of the layout is riding as it always has.

skyscraper and Matt N like this.
  18. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Ah, so around the same sort of time as I last rode then! Very odd that the retrack has seemingly caused it to be rougher...

skyscraper likes this.
  19. Connor98

Connor98 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    My rides on it on Wednesday were enjoyable, it did feel a bit slower but that was due to it not opening till 12/1pm so it didn't warm up much that day. But I do agree that section is a tad rough but it's not uncomfortable, in all honestly I quite like it like that, makes it feel like a proper woodie, I'm sure I'm not the only one who kind of feels that way (or maybe I'm a nutter)

skyscraper and Ethan like this.
  20. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Sorry to keep asking questions, but did that section feel as rough as say, Grand National or Big Dipper, or sections of Megafobia on the back row?

skyscraper likes this.