• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

Mate, this is Merlin we're talking about. They can barely fathom the concept of non essential maintenance unfortunately :(
They'll most likely leave it to rot over time and gather dust.
Shareholder owned Merlin you're talking about. True, more often than not a leopard never changes its spots, but now they're privately owned let's be positive, give them the benefit of the doubt and see if things improve over the next few years now they don't have to answer to shareholders.

I personally don't think it's a coincidence that over the last 2 years (last year especially) their entertainment and event offerings have improved drastically since they've become private.

Back to Wicker Man though, and the fact they've improved what's on the screens, done stuff in the preshow (good or bad I don't know yet not seen it for myself) and done stuff on the station with the lights on the exit wall shows that they do seem to care about it.

Merlin also made enhancements to the brake run tunnel and reinstated loads of smoke machines on the ride last off-season, so I think they’re clearly committed to maintaining it.

Also, I think Merlin does more non-essential maintenance than many expect. They’ve done a lot of painting up at Chessington this off-season, they fixed the dragon animatronic outside Dragon’s Fury last season, they repainted Battle Galleons, they added some bits to Congo River Rapids last season… I could go on.

I wouldn’t worry about Wicker Man’s long-term maintenance. Thus far, it seems to have been maintained pretty well, and it is nearly 4 years old now, in fairness.

Last edited:
Merlin also made enhancements to the brake run tunnel and reinstated loads of smoke machines on the ride last off-season, so I think they’re clearly committed to maintaining it.

Also, I think Merlin does more non-essential maintenance than many expect. They’ve done a lot of painting up at Chessington this off-season, they fixed the dragon animatronic outside Dragon’s Fury last season, they repainted Battle Galleons, they added some bits to Congo River Rapids last season… I could go on.

I wouldn’t worry about Wicker Man’s long-term maintenance. Thus far, it seems to have been maintained pretty well, and it is nearly 5 years old now, in fairness.
4 years old - it opened in March 2018!

My apologies, that was a typo… it’s been rectified.

But I guess that still isn’t far off 5 years old!
True, I mean when do you start counting? When the first footer is installed, the last piece of track fitted, its first test run or when it opens to the public? I would say its first test run as that when wear and tear begins! But to the public, the opening date is the start I guess.

It does. But at the same time it feels like wicker man has always been there. I certainly couldn't imagine the park without it now
I have to agree, actually. It’s a must ride at Towers for me now, and the day doesn’t feel the same if I haven’t ridden it.

I probably feel the same about Wicker Man as a lot of you feel about Nemesis, in that regard.

I'm pretty sure apart from pleasure beach the merlin parks are the only ones worth visiting in the uk😭
Don't forget Drayton! 😉

Anyway, back on topic. 😛
I am looking forward to getting back on Wicker Man this year. It was so smooth last season! 🙂

Braved the advertised time of 110 minutes and joined Wickerman's queue at 5.30 yesterday. Got an unexpected night ride at 7.30! For the first day of it running constantly since November, it was on top form! Absolutely flew round the track, loads of airtime too - and I was on row 2 so god knows what the back row was like!! And the screens in Big Bob are fantastic. My only complaint about them is that when it is dark, the flames on them are too red and not a realistic orange-yellow-red colour.

But - and it's a big but - what have they done in the preshow?! They have replaced the main centre projector which gives a much brighter and sharper image (probably LED) but in doing so, the black bit between the end of the animation and the reveal of the Wickerman's face is still faintly lit - so you can clearly see the curtains pull back and see the unlit face before it lights up! It's awful and really ruins the surprise of the reveal.

I think all they need to reduce the brightness of the projector to eliminate that light black screen.

And the screens in Big Bob are fantastic.
I agree. They're still not great up-close (never going to be) but from a distance they really do look good. From the path adjacent to Spinball it looked like it could be real fire.

A pity the ride was only on 1 train yesterday, meaning that queuing for it was just going to be too much of an effort. Hopefully they get the issues sorted sooner rather than later.

Last edited: