• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

The other week the batcher in to the pre show was great, he wasn’t over filling or or ramming as many people as he could. But by being quick he could get the show started much quicker, which then means those people are in to the station quicker.

I find the staff who will try to get every inch of the room full, waste so much time, they sometimes end up having to open the doors to the station before the show ends as the station is empty.

I personally think it would be better if the pre-show just played on repeat constantly while a small cattle-pen queue was set up inside, so the queue would constantly move into the station while most people would get to view the preshow. Although the issue with this is that you might not get to see the full preshow.

I personally think it would be better if the pre-show just played on repeat constantly while a small cattle-pen queue was set up inside, so the queue would constantly move into the station while most people would get to view the preshow. Although the issue with this is that you might not get to see the full preshow.
And some guests would see the screen resetting after the show finishes. Plus it might wear the projector out quicker if its constantly playing.

I don't know if this is happening everytime, but the doors to the station are opening now well before "together we shall feed the flames, let the ceremony commence" has played, meaning a significant number of people are out of the pre-show before it has finished. It's happened multiple times to me on recent visits.

I don't know if this is happening everytime, but the doors to the station are opening now well before "together we shall feed the flames, let the ceremony commence" has played, meaning a significant number of people are out of the pre-show before it has finished. It's happened multiple times to me on recent visits.
I’ve noticed this happening too, not every time but enough for me to notice. It’s strange.

On my last visit the staff very kindly allowed me and my girlfriend to skip the pre show due to her claustrophobia. Previously she would try to sit off to the side and avoid people. But recently they really fill it up. Fair play to the wickerman crew that day, did me a solid!
Yeah there’s a sign at the building entrance which I’ve never noticed before that says you can ask to skip it for whatever reason - it might not be new but it’s the first time I’ve ever noticed it

It’s usually because they have either taken that long trying to get too many people in the pre show, which means it takes ages to start the pre show and the doors will have to be open early other wise the ride will be going empty. Or the staff are just working flat out sending the trains.

I do think they’ll be better sending the pre show with slightly less people but more often. As I’ve seen some staff waste so long trying to get another 4 or 5 people I , when they could have just closed the doors and started it straight away, avoiding the need to then open the exit doors early.

Last time I rode there was just 1 staff member in the baggage room who couldn't keep up, so they often sent part-empty trains. The preshow doors opened early for us and we emerged to an empty station

First time on park for a few years, memories fade and opinions change. I tried to ride Wicker Man with an open mind and I want to love it. I love wood, I quite like the theme, the pre-show, the queue snaking through the ride, and the fire effects.

But the ride really is poor. For what a woodie can be, even at the more family end, it is just lacklustre in every way. There's a couple of good moments, but no truly excellent ones, and every time it starts to get a bit of go in it it just dies off. Boring corner is hilariously bad.

I'm sure, with no real reference points of modern woodies from the vast majority of riders, it hits good kpi's from feedback and is considered a success. I'll only ever see it as success if it gives operators in the UK to do a woodie properly in the coming years.

It still, in the moment, puts a smile on my face. But from the blank canvas they had to work with, from what it could have been, it's just such a huge shame.

First time on park for a few years, memories fade and opinions change. I tried to ride Wicker Man with an open mind and I want to love it. I love wood, I quite like the theme, the pre-show, the queue snaking through the ride, and the fire effects.

But the ride really is poor. For what a woodie can be, even at the more family end, it is just lacklustre in every way. There's a couple of good moments, but no truly excellent ones, and every time it starts to get a bit of go in it it just dies off. Boring corner is hilariously bad.

I'm sure, with no real reference points of modern woodies from the vast majority of riders, it hits good kpi's from feedback and is considered a success. I'll only ever see it as success if it gives operators in the UK to do a woodie properly in the coming years.

It still, in the moment, puts a smile on my face. But from the blank canvas they had to work with, from what it could have been, it's just such a huge shame.

Totally agree with this

See I disagree - I don’t even think “boring corner” as it was named is even that bad- I enjoy the ride and think it has multiple great elements. Subjective to each person I guess, but yeah I disagree personally
I disagree too. If you want the best experience ride it towards the end of the day once it's warmed up, or at night during Scarefest or Fireworks. It's a solid package in my opinion. 🙂 🔥

I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong to enjoy it, as I said I do too in the moment.

I rode it right near the end of a pathetically short 6 hour day today...

And yes, all woodies change (generally, improve) with running in, length of operation and weather conditions on any given day, but hitting the right moment in a day or even in a season should jot be essential in having an even decent ride experience.

If something starts as incredible imagine what it could be when it's at its very best. If people truly think Wickerman even ends its day, let alone starts its day, as an incredible ride then fair enough, I can't say your experience is wrong. There is an absolute chasm between our measure though.

It's just Th13teen all over again. People will appreciate it more over the years as they get used to it.
Hahahahhaahahhahahahahahahahah.

The outdoor coaster section of Th13teen is still dreadful. Again, doesn't stop the ride being fun as a whole or make anyone wrong for enjoying it, but anyone really thinks that is anywhere near the best that it could be they must be lacking in experience and/or imagination.

I'm 43, I've done all the getting used to of things that I need to.

Hahahahhaahahhahahahahahahahah.

The outdoor coaster section of Th13teen is still dreadful. Again, doesn't stop the ride being fun as a whole or make anyone wrong for enjoying it, but anyone really thinks that is anywhere near the best that it could be they must be lacking in experience and/or imagination.

I'm 43, I've done all the getting used to of things that I need to.
Remember that Thirteen is what it is because of the planning restrictions. They were only permitted to build minimal "run off" track in the woods. Yes that section is short but the drop track and backwards helix makes up for it. Plus it's incredible in the dark!

Remember that Thirteen is what it is because of the planning restrictions. They were only permitted to build minimal "run off" track in the woods. Yes that section is short but the drop track and backwards helix makes up for it. Plus it's incredible in the dark!

Remember that Thirteen is what it is because Intamin screwed it up so bad they had to trim the hell out of the first drop and in so doing created a dull meandering nothing.

Planning restrictions do not dictate what they can or can't do in this way; no one in a high viz is turning up telling them its just too exciting and they should tone it down a bit. They are just saying that's the maximum hight and (to an extent) length (in truth how much land they can take up and trees remove), and that patently is not the best that could be done with that height and length. It very much has this in common with Wickerman.

And the fact that the people who designed and built the ride had no control over its Marketing, which we all know what led to. Great marketing, for a ride that doesn't exist. If it was done properly, I think Th13teen would be looked upon more fondly in the Theme Park Community.

I think Wicker Man is great personally.

You can't knock the theming, which is very rare in the UK, certainly one of best themed in the country.
The ride has some great moments, including a great first 2 drops and the bunny hill. The interaction with the structure itself is great. Boring corner is quite boring like the name suggests but it's over in 2 seconds and your back into the action.

It's a great ride for the space they had to play with and the theming is top-notch. Like with any ride, there are a few downsides like some say, but, it's proven popular with the public and a success to put Towers back on the map after the dreaded accident.