• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

My 7 year old son loves Wickerman, having ridden it twice now, but won't try Th13teen yet as he thinks it's too scary, obviously it’s only the theming that's putting him off.
I agree - Th13teen’s theming is way scarier than the ride itself for kids. My daughter is tall for her age and I took her on Th13teen when she was 5/6 - not thinking too much about the theming as it’s Alton towers so likely to be a bit underwhelming. Of all the rides we did that day, the only one she didn’t want to do again was Th13teen - I learned a valuable lesson that tall enough doesn’t always equal mature enough. At least Thorpe puts recommended ages on the scarier stuff - she’s now 12 and decided to try Saw & Walking Dead and was fine. (Which I know is a year younger than recommended but at least it gave me the nod to delay our trip until this year rather than before when she was tall enough but only 8)

On another note, I had 3 rides on this on Friday and got a back row on one of them, the airtime was crazy! Probably the best I’ve ever had, I was virtually stood up at one point as I had a very loose restraint. This sits firmly in 2nd place now for me. If it rode that well towards the front (I don’t think it does) it would comfortably be my number one at Towers

I feel this has been trimmed on the first drop. It’s not flying like it was earlier in the season and end of last. Not 100% sure however.

I feel this has been trimmed on the first drop. It’s not flying like it was earlier in the season and end of last. Not 100% sure however.
It’s not been trimmed. It’s a wooden coaster so it has many variables that can affect the way it runs so that could explain why you felt a difference in how it was that day. It actually has an anti rollback system on the rise into the flat turn I think so any sort of trim before that would cause issue with that section too I’d imagine.

I'm just watching 'True Detective' the TV series from 2014 and I've noticed that the music and a bit of the theming for Wicker Man has potentially ripped off episode 8 (from around 32 minutes in). Not sure if this has been noted before. Earlier in the episode I noticed what sounded like ambient sound from around Wicker Man too. See for yourself. Series 1 episode 8. Apologies if this was noticed years ago.

Edit - On a very strange note, later on in the episode there are a few blasts from the Nemesis theme too. Someone please tell me I'm not finally going completely mad...

Last edited:
Thought I'd share this John Burton interview from Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists Youtube channel where John talks through the stages of SW8

Quite surprised to hear the marketing team told him they wanted something targeted towards 16 - 24 year olds initially. Obviously that changed throughout.. glad it did to be honest.

Apologies if this has already been posted, I did a quick search but couldn't find owt.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they will only use them during late opening dates now. It’s not an overly noticeable effect for most guests when in the day, however it looks absolutely stunning at night and really illuminates the whole area! Nothing like walking towards the plaza hearing the trains roar and seeing the trees light up in an orange hue.