• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

Where’s this info come from? If that is the case then there’s questions to answer for
Do you mean questions Towers/Towers tech team need to answer? Things break, we've no idea how the flame thing works, what equipment has been used and how good a quality it was. It's been in place for 5 nearly 6 years now, completely open to the elements all year round. As long as it's fixed by March, that's all that matters.

It does explain why it was out of action all season though as its probably a big job to replace and would've meant Wicker Man being out of action for a few days or even weeks depending on how they can access everything.

And of course I'm assuming the shoulders are at fault here, they may be fine; it may be something else from the gas tanks right through to Big Bob.

Should never have been allowed to go
Another positive step
But we don't know why they went. It could've been a part failing that was unforeseen and couldn't be replaced until closed season due to the fact that access to the shoulders would require downtime of Wicker Man for at least a day (scaffolding, cherry pickers, testing etc). If this was the case then I think they made the right decision in having no flames for the season and fixing the issue now over winter when there is less pressure to fix as quickly as possible.

I did hear a rumour somewhere that the whole fire mechanism was being replaced. How true that is I don't know.

But we don't know why they went. It could've been a part failing that was unforeseen and couldn't be replaced until closed season due to the fact that access to the shoulders would require downtime of Wicker Man for at least a day (scaffolding, cherry pickers, testing etc). If this was the case then I think they made the right decision in having no flames for the season and fixing the issue now over winter when there is less pressure to fix as quickly as possible.

I did hear a rumour somewhere that the whole fire mechanism was being replaced. How true that is I don't know.

I have heard similar in fairness. But my point still stands. A days downtime, in my opinion is better than having an extended period of time offering half a product.

Depends how long the downtime would have been. If it is/was major work (i.e. a new system) then it might have required the ride to be closed for an extended period and as the fire is "just" theming such a closure may well have been seen as unjustifiable by the decision makers.

Depends how long the downtime would have been. If it is/was major work (i.e. a new system) then it might have required the ride to be closed for an extended period and as the fire is "just" theming such a closure may well have been seen as unjustifiable by the decision makers.

I guess that’s the low level we’ve become accustomed to.

Merlin did spend a lot of money replacing the screens for a better flame effect, I would argue they do care somewhat?

Question were all the misters built in the floor a bad design as I swear there is no where near as much low level mist/smoke as there used to be. Seems to be Just a few misters spraying out at a higher level on big bob now? Which tells me along side the fire effects they had a lot of trial and error here but good to see they are learning from there mistakes and putting things right i guess.

One other thing to note is they do keep on top of the smoke machines in the covered parts of the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question were all the misters built in the floor a bad design as I swear there is no where near as much low level mist/smoke as there used to be. Seems to be Just a few misters spraying out at a higher level on big bob now?
I wonder if that water was contributing to a deterioration of the track? If I recall correctly they had to do some work on the track in that area.

They were already down Nemesis, Hex and Skyride last season. Closing Wickerman for any length of time to fix the fire effects would have been crazy from a capacity and guest experience perspective.

Indeed closing Wickerman last season to fix the fire would have been a moronic decision. It would have been at least a week I suspect if not longer.

In a normal season maybe it would be justified in the quiet parts of the year but last year had too much already down to justify closing for theming.