• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

I am not so sure. All groups/families near us in the queue to get in yesterday had no idea until they arrived.

I have little sympathy for these kinds of people. The forecast was well known about and you should always check social media for stuff when travelling to these places too especially in poor weather.

Forecast is cold but improved for tomorrow and a toasty 7 degrees on Tuesday with low wind speeds. So I think it would be safe to assume it will be open by Tuesday at the very latest would it not?

If I where just a punter that had seen this ride was opening on a cereal box, a bag of Walkers or a Facebook post I would automatically assume when booking my ticket that it would be open.

I have little sympathy for these kinds of people. The forecast was well known about and you should always check social media for stuff when travelling to these places too especially in poor weather.
Oh please.... Get out of the coaster nerd bubble for a second or two!

I put it to you that a large percentage of the public at large don't understand the impact of a dusting of snow and high winds on the operation of a park. If they had managed to travel there without issue, it doesn't feel to unreasonable to think the park would be open.

Most people there yesterday were like myself; simply there to see the ride before riding it next weekend. There were a few non pass-holders with little kids but most were enthusiasts there to see the ride. I also went to see the various improvements across the park including nemesis’ station but they stopped us getting anywhere near the bloody thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not everybody lives their lives on social media. If travelling long distances yes it makes sense to try and check, but that is not always possible. It's easy to forget not everybody has data on their phone, I don't for instance, or access to the Internet even, plenty of households don't have Internet, it's easy to assume they do.

There can be no soft openings in a sense. Their business model is one of having new rides open for the start of the season - if not as soon as possible afterwards. They will fully open it as soon as they feel it ‘safe’ to do so. Be that 3pm on a Tuesday or whenever else the weather allows.

So this ‘official’ opening date thing has no bearing on anything in reality. It’s simply a case of when the temperature rises enough. If it was freezing on the 24th then it wouldn’t open, even though it could have ran during midweek.

If only Towers had learnt from the past, never give a date as something will always get in the way :rolleyes:

Should of just stayed with the original “Spring 2018”

Well announcing an opening date and then not being able to operate for outside reasons is fine. Announcing an opening date and then keeping the ride closed for a laugh/just for the hell it is a problem.

Neither. I'm suggesting it would be inconceivable for them not to open it when the weather is better.

I understand where you're coming from. If the weather was fine yesterday and today, Wicker Man would have been open. It would have then continued to open every day. So why would they not open it tomorrow for guests if the weather was to turn out to be OK? Just so they can have a special faffy opening on the weekend?

IMO they should just rite this weekend and the week off as a no no and start a fresh next Saturday :D

Although I think Mr Varney will be having heart palpitations at the thought of all the lost revenue.

IMO they should just rite this weekend and the week off as a no no and start a fresh next Saturday :D

I disagree because I'm there next Saturday and it'll be busy....

:eek: Oh mah gawd!

There can be no soft openings in a sense. Their business model is one of having new rides open for the start of the season - if not as soon as possible afterwards. They will fully open it as soon as they feel it ‘safe’ to do so. Be that 3pm on a Tuesday or whenever else the weather allows.

So this ‘official’ opening date thing has no bearing on anything in reality. It’s simply a case of when the temperature rises enough. If it was freezing on the 24th then it wouldn’t open, even though it could have ran during midweek.

Agree with this.
I've never understood this "soft opening." If the general public are allowed on the ride, then the ride is open. "it's a soft opening guys so I'm gonna take this entrance chain off ever so slowly."
Load of rubbish. Just be done with it.

Agree with this.
I've never understood this "soft opening." If the general public are allowed on the ride, then the ride is open. "it's a soft opening guys so I'm gonna take this entrance chain off ever so slowly."
Load of rubbish. Just be done with it.

Well no, a soft opening refers to quietly opening the ride to the public, so just opening it s soon as it is safe to do so. This means the ride opens without the pressure and sometimes crowds of the grand and announced opening. Leading to a much better and smoother opening.

Although I think Mr Varney will be having heart palpitations at the thought of all the lost revenue.

Imagine that, after hearing Wicker Man opens on the 17th, you decide to book a trip up there for 19th/20th. You then hear that, because the weather was dodgy and the 17th and 18th (yet fine on 19th and 20th), they're no longer opening the ride just so they can open it on a Saturday.

That'd be, frankly, disgusting, and if I was someone planning on visiting the park this coming week, I'd tell them to shove their wooden coaster where the splinters don't shine...

Just gonna pitch up outside the Wicker Man entrance for a couple of days with a thermometer and a wind speed checking instrument (these probably have a proper name lol). When I have the correct readings, I'll give the ops a shout and let 'em know to get crackin' with it.