• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

Can anyone explain what GCI have changed to their restraints that is causing so many issues? On a woodie like this it should be tried and tested technology

It doesn't have seatbelts does it? Europa had to do some jiggery pokery I'm sure to get that one through for Wodan...

At the park today. First ride was despatched at 9:40, second ride broke down on the chain lift. Currently unavailable. Been well worth the money this.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Exactly what happened to me last week. 1 train got round then down for about an hour first thing in the morning.

I wonder why a brand new ride could possibly struggle so much? Surely the majority of teething problems are likely to expose themselves and thus be able to be rectified, during the lengthy testing process before opening to the public?
I am guessing that compared to older rides there is a huge amount of complex technology involved in the ride's operation. I am not saying that older rides with relatively simple ways of operating never break down, but it really surprises me that something brand spanking new would break down so many times. Are other GCI coasters this unreliable?

Can anyone explain what GCI have changed to their restraints that is causing so many issues? On a woodie like this it should be tried and tested technology

It doesn't have seatbelts does it? Europa had to do some jiggery pokery I'm sure to get that one through for Wodan...

Total guess work on my part here but considering no other GCI woodies have these problems then it is fair to assume that it could be related to the lack of seatbelts.

Wicker Man just comes under the threshold for requiring some form of secordary restraint (i.e. seatbelt) here in the UK. I am wondering if the restraints have to be tighter than they would be for if there were seatbelts on the ride, therefore lots of issues. If this was the case then the simple solution is to add seatbelts and run it like every other GCI bar Wodan.

The counter to this is on Wicker Man opening day, our resident midget team member @Sammy had problems with his restraint. So it could just be a totally random problem, or an issue with certain seats.

Either way it needs to get sorted ASAP.

:)

Going towers tomorrow. Can't wait get back on this beaut. Crowds look low today and are expected to be even lower tomorrow with some schools not back in till tomorrow. Loads of re rides hopefully.

Total guess work on my part here but considering no other GCI woodies have these problems then it is fair to assume that it could be related to the lack of seatbelts.

Wicker Man just comes under the threshold for requiring some form of secordary restraint (i.e. seatbelt) here in the UK. I am wondering if the restraints have to be tighter than they would be for if there were seatbelts on the ride, therefore lots of issues. If this was the case then the simple solution is to add seatbelts and run it like every other GCI bar Wodan.

The counter to this is on Wicker Man opening day, our resident midget team member @Sammy had problems with his restraint. So it could just be a totally random problem, or an issue with certain seats.

Either way it needs to get sorted ASAP.

:)

I don’t get where this rumour about a U.K. requirement for a secondary seatbelt is coming from. I’m not saying it doesn’t exist but if it does that excludes a whole range of coaster styles from ever being built in the U.K.

I don’t think the restraint system is only freaking out over guest size, it’s curious when the restraint fails they have to open it completely and reclose it, instead of just pushing the restraint further down as you would on other coasters. Looks suspiciously like the sensors are failing and not detecting the restraint passing the safe locking point so needing to take the thing back up to open position and closing it again.

New rules and requirements are often based on insurance industry collective decisions on safety benchmarks, rather than those very nice people at the Health and Safety Executive, who sometimes give me money for cutting their lawns.
Some of the tales I have been told about anonymous naughty people.
Verruckt is not the only one.
Before t'internet, lots of stuff was easily buried if people settled quickly.

No but you would expect a different standard for OTSR than lap bars, I just can’t believe wickerman comes close to requiring seatbelts and it that’s the case we can kiss goodbye to ever having a B&M hyper in the U.K.!
To be fair I could count the number of parks that would be granted planning permission for one on my testicles anyway.

Apart from the little hiccup this morning it's been running fairly well today. They've had to send a few empty trains through, but it's been operating nearly all day. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Wicker Man just comes under the threshold for requiring some form of secordary restraint (i.e. seatbelt) here in the UK.
Under what legislation? It's not in HSG175 as I recall, is it?

No but you would expect a different standard for OTSR than lap bars, I just can’t believe wickerman comes close to requiring seatbelts and it that’s the case we can kiss goodbye to ever having a B&M hyper in the U.K.!
You can put seatbelts on a B&M hyper. Kings Island retrofitted them to Diamondback.

You can put seatbelts on a B&M hyper. Kings Island retrofitted them to Diamondback.
Photo:

diamondback1400x560.png