• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Woodland Walk to the hotels

I mean... it still completely works on the way out. You're not supposed to go down there anymore I don't think but the gate is still there and you just press a button to operate it going out.

I have not walked this in years. The last time I did walk it, Spinball Whizzer & The Flume were brand new and there was no gate like today.

Good point. Something else that has gone, that has eroded part of the 'magic' if you ask me.

The woodland walk wasn’t very kind to people with pushchairs/ wheel chairs and those who maybe struggled with uneven surfaces.

I would like them to make the Valley entrance more aesthetically pleasing but using that entrance was the right call for hotel guests.

I used it a fair few times back in the day when Nemesis was on ERT and ERT was actually a worthwhile perk. A couple of things of note on the walk were the old iron milestone from the 1800s signposting that it was around a mile or whatever to 'Alton Abbey' before it was improved further and named Alton Towers. In the very early days of the walk there was also a large wooden carving in the shape of a dragon or serpent (I do have a picture somewhere, and the milestone) but mother nature eroded that away completely over the years. It was a pleasant walk along a long part of one of the Earl's old carriage drives towards the house. As mentioned by others though, it's now quicker to just go through the Galactica entrance, if eligible.

Edit - Here are some of my pics. Firstly, the wooden serpent/dragon type thing. Second, the milestone before being painted some years later. Third, newly painted milestone :)

serpentmarked.jpg
milestonemarked1.jpg
milestone marked 2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. Maybe a curious kind of mind may find a way to have a walk down there. There are a couple of ways and one of them is probably very easy still. I've honestly not tried for a few years though as the need has not arisen. Feel free to PM if you become stuck on the whereabouts of what's where etc.

Since a nicer looking/permanent path has been added between the monorail and Galactigate entrance, it’s more useful/practical than the Woodland Walk.

I would like to see more of an entrance feature made at the Galactigate (proper entrance with turnstiles) and have it as a hotel guest and MAP holder entrance.

Since a nicer looking/permanent path has been added between the monorail and Galactigate entrance, it’s more useful/practical than the Woodland Walk.

I would like to see more of an entrance feature made at the Galactigate (proper entrance with turnstiles) and have it as a hotel guest and MAP holder entrance.
I don't think turnstiles would add much, if they are restricting it to certain types of guest then you'd need staff to check that anyway. Adding permanent shelters for rain/shade would be a better move. Same at the main entrance if bag checks are to stay they need permanent structures to replace the gazebos.

Thanks. Maybe a curious kind of mind may find a way to have a walk down there. There are a couple of ways and one of them is probably very easy still. I've honestly not tried for a few years though as the need has not arisen. Feel free to PM if you become stuck on the whereabouts of what's where etc.
I did a few weeks back and the little bridge at the back of cbeebies is now boarded off at both sides, so required a bit of climbing

I've got fond memories of joining the crowd of guests on a morning to do Nemesis/Air ERT down the woodland walk.

I'm sure I've told this story before on here but it always reminds me of staying at ATH winter 04/05. We put on our coats and took a chance to see if the turnstile was open and it was. We just walked right into a closed, deserted and snowy park. We crossed no barriers or no-entry signs and spent the next hour or so walking around. We went off up towards the Rita construction site but it was fenced off just before fountain square. I've always wondered if anyone spotted us, we didn't see a single soul.

I did last year, it was still fully accessible and went from inside of the park to the outside. The gate let us out too. It’s still on the 2023 map which find weird especially if the bridge at the end is now boarded up…

Had a wander down there today, it's pretty overgrown so didn't go the full distance. However, I did negotiate a quick wander down to Ina's rock by purchasing some Pick & Mix for my nephew ... £9(!) .... or there is some out of date Halal offering for £2.50 ... did the trick.

The bridge is now boarded up.

PXL_20230626_173632312.jpg

PXL_20230626_173624731.jpg

Anyway, on to King Ina's. It's never been particularly well signposted, but even less so now. A direct / unofficial route from the little plaza outside CBeebies Hotel is now gated off.

PXL_20230626_173712027.jpg

So you have to go the proper way, which is from CBeebies car park.

PXL_20230626_173744144.jpg

... or not. The path down there is a little more overgrown, with a tree partially blocking it, but all good really. In all the times I have been down there, I've never seen a single person bar anyone I was with.

PXL_20230626_174805245.jpg

PXL_20230626_174103380.jpg

PXL_20230626_174156230.jpg

PXL_20230626_174216187.jpg