• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2012: The 'downhill' season?

Im looking forward to the 2012 season ending, Im sick of the bad news after bad news and depression.

Personally I think the economic fall has some what effected towers and all other uk theme park unable to reach targets they were achieving back from before 2010 but hopefully we will see some major improvements from scarefest onwards

We are not the only ones hoping that next year will be better. After spending millions on Thirteen, spending a small fortune on Sub-Terra and then spending a fortune on SW7, they cannot afford another bad season. For their sake as well as our, I hope they get the gate figures they want and are able to reduce the cost cutting measures.

I think the downhill spiral started when Merlin took over. It was turned around in 2010 with a great new addition in Thirteen, began to reverse in 2011, be partially rectified by two good additions in 2012 but being sabotaged by the operation cutbacks we've seen.

The downhill season for all the Merlin parks anyway.

For the last six years or so, I've always made an effort to go two/three times a year and always push for a hotel stay over. This year, the park's reputation and general lack of effort has put me off visiting. Why should I bother when the park messed around with opening hours, ride availability and budget cuts consistently meaning the park isn't offering a normal visit.

I'd rather put my money into visiting parks around Europe, then visit the mess that is the Merlin attractions in 2012. I could probably guarantee this continuing in 2013.

AstroDan said:
Alton are more reluctant to extend close because of two key reasons.

- Park operating costs are far higher
- It takes minimum 1 hour to clear the park.

They redefined the thresholds for ride close this season in order to close earlier and save money.

It shouldn't be an excuse but that is what Alton would say.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Woah there Dan it also makes staff moral drop dramitcially, thats why some of the park duty managers refuse to do it.

Natalie said:
AstroDan said:
Alton are more reluctant to extend close because of two key reasons.

- Park operating costs are far higher
- It takes minimum 1 hour to clear the park.

They redefined the thresholds for ride close this season in order to close earlier and save money.

It shouldn't be an excuse but that is what Alton would say.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Woah there Dan it also makes staff moral drop dramitcially, thats why some of the park duty managers refuse to do it.
Staying open for longer makes staff moral drop?

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes it does, think about it you are cold, wet, paid a couple of pence above minimum wage, guests have been giving you grief all dayand you are under staffed so you have been running around like a headless chicken all day, would you want to stay anymore than you were told at the begining of the day?

If that was the case, it's probably time to get a different job. It is what it is.Fewer hours means less money, and in the current climate, I assume people will be after more hours over less for the sake of feeling a bit cold. After all, it is the UK. :p

Would you work extra hours where you had to work them with no say? Would you not be a bit peeved, I know I would especially if I had plans for that evening!

Their position doesn't include a say in how the park is ran, although I assume they suggest things which management take on board. But it's their own fault if they've planned something for when they're supposed to be at work. :p

Edit: Never mind, I'll add this bit to a new post.

:)

No you've got the wrong end of the stick matey, if they have planned to do something afterwork but then they can't go because ride close has been extended wouldn't you be annoyed?

If whatever they have planned is important to them, I'm sure their boss will allow them to go early, but the park has the right to stay open longer. Drayton Manor extended opening hours often throughout the Summer and everyone seemed to be fine with that.

Not when they are short staffed and need almost everyone to work to keep a ride open.

But I'm sure the park tells the staff that they have the right to extend hours anyway, so if they accept the job, they accept the chance of having to stay an extra hour or so.

We are going round in circles here, duty managers don't like doing it end of.

Natalie said:
We are going round in circles here, duty managers don't like doing it end of.

Re Natalie / BigAl - I am with BigAl on this - I would assume that it would be in the staffs contract to say they had to be available until x time in case the park did extend opening hours. Basically its the staff members fault if they have double booked themselves not the parks fault!

And Natalie - how do you know this? And finally that post is a bit, er, rude........

They probably won't extend hours anyway. The quicker the park can empty, the more they save. Personal opinion won't mean anything when it comes to deciding whether to keep a park open. It'll all be strictly business related.

I have listened to you which is why I'm replying, I'm just stating what I believe probably happens when deciding about park hours extending which happens to go against your ideas. Until proven, nobody is right. :)