• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: The Smiler Reopening

Will you ride in 2016?

• Yes

Votes: 147 94.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
This incident isn't just a routine stoppage/breakdown. They've said it will remain closed until further notice, they don't usually say that following routine breakdowns. It's something SLIGHTLY more significant.

It's open right now.

To be fair, if bits really are falling off the ride ... AGAIN .... that should not be happening.

This incident isn't just a routine stoppage/breakdown. They've said it will remain closed until further notice, they don't usually say that following routine breakdowns. It's something SLIGHTLY more significant.
It's already reopened.

To be fair, if bits really are falling off the ride ... AGAIN .... that should not be happening.
The only incidents I can remember were bolts being shed. Coasters quite often shed a bolt or two from time to time, don't they?

Last edited:
The fact that 'Mrs Brown's Boys' or whatever it's called got voted the best British sitcom of the 2000's instantly tells you that we are definitely a nation of absolute and utter morons (the majority anyway).

Sadly true (But then again Merlin are as bad with its tribute to trash culture sorry I mean Blackpool wax works =p

Apparently a black rubber cover off of one of the upstop/sidewheels fell off and someone picked it up and gave it to a member of staff. Smiler has now re-opened.
Future media headlines? Wheel fall of Smiler, Staff member grabs evidence from hand of guest. =p,

I wouldn't worry too much, this isn't a big enough story for even the tabloids to go on about after today. Then your average idiot will have forgotten about it and will find the next thing to be outraged about.
Wouldn't be so sure of that. Victims of the crash have come out again to say it should be closed down. Media aren't going to let this go quickly.

They almost always say further notice. I was told the other day that nemesis would be down until further notice because they hadn't got engineers down to the ride to assess how long it would be closed. It wouldn't have been serious, as it opened about 20 minutes ago.

It won't go away over night, but it won't be spoken about for too long. It'll be similar to the Galactica (non) incident earlier this year.

Where did you hear this @RoyJess?

I did use the word "apparently" in my above post until the info is officially confirmed...

I got the info from Tower Times thread

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36271&start=2800

Edit. ITV evening news report with incorrect information about riders being left hanging upside down, one of the Smiler crash victims calling for it to be closed down. They also reported that Atlon has released a statement confirming a piece of rubber has fallen from the ride.

Last edited:
What are they getting by reporting non stories/over exaggerating things to the extent they do. It was horrible what happened so why are you trying to stretch it out?

The tabloids seem to have a vendetta against Merlin.

I actually cannot believe that national news outlets are actually interested in this? I mean, seriously????