• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017/18: SW8 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Possible replacement for the flume....worlds first multi launch Rmc woodie on the entire flume site and down towards forbidden valley, hence the documents submitted for environmental impact report, with a token splash at the end in a new clean lake as a nod to the old flume....2018. Charlie re theme 2017 possible dream works ip......

Coaster please.

Ta.

Just put your cup direct on the table, it's ok

Will be pleased if we don't get another 13 style hype to the point it is stretching the truth of what the ride really is.

Do we know who will be stepping into John's shoes or is he still involved?

PJ

I'm sure if they go down the ip route, then no. If they don't and go for a woodie then maybe. I just hope whatever it is, it's creative and of world class quality.

It needs to be some kind of water transit ride, not necessarily a flume but something that relies on water to move you around. They really need at least one ride like this asides from the rapids to keep some variety in the parks line up, now that more or less every flat has disappeared from the park.

Otherwise what will Alton Towers be? 10 coasters, CBeebies Land and, well, not much else.

They need a water coaster. Basically. But more of a water ride than a coaster. Or a pirate version of Chiapas - fun, well themed and not too wet.

This is really the time when the park need to get Merlin to provide the funding for serious investment over the coming years - Alton Towers need a major family water ride, dark ride and coaster before the end of the decade if they want any chance of getting back on top.

I've said this before but they need another 1992 and 1994 imminently - pity there isn't the vision that there was back then.

Last edited:
A world first water ride of sorts. Something that can bring them back to the foreground of theme park entertainment.

6087277186_dc50db6188_b.jpg

Although I have a feeling I've seen this before somewhere. :confused:

Changed the thread title to 2018 as there's not even a small chance that this will be for next year!

Interesting choice of site for the next SW. Depending on how much of the wooded area (if any) that they want to use it is quite a large site. But it is equally quite a limited site I feel. Of course the open land around The Flume's lake is covered by permitted development rights (GDO) so in theory they can build a coaster on this land with a height of up to 25 meters (82 feet) although any buildings or theming objects over 5 meters would require planning permission. Saying that I cannot envisage an 82 foot tall structure on that site, I feel it would stand out like a sore thumb.

The lake could be key to this development. I don't see why they couldn't get rid of it completely which would in turn isolate the Rapids lake/water. We know Towers love digging for a big SW so this is the prime area to dig down and get better use out of the land. Then again if the coaster plans to venture into the wooded area for most of its journey there may be little point in doing this.

The council have highlighted The Flume site as a redevelopment area for leisure use, with consideration needed for impact on trees. Some tree removal may be allowed but I doubt they'll be able to just clear a nice route through the wooded area for a coaster so it will have to be very well planned to get planning permission.

I think a two part coaster could be in order. First with a lift/launch into the wooded area for a terrain hugging style coaster and then maybe a second lift/launch for a bigger drop towards the end back into the open area around The Flume's lake where it may be less limited in what it can do.

Finally, what would I like? RMC please!

:)

Also remeber the cable cars are around the lower area of the lake too, stretching up into the woods

I think an Intamin AquaTrax would be absolutely fantastic on this site.

You could vary the amount of water involved in the ride given any time of the year, so it could easily be a massive soaker in the summer months, and barely touch you in March.

I think at the moment Towers has enough coasters, it would be nice to see a water ride replace the flume as when the weather picks up the rapids will be heaving.

I'd be more than happy with an AquaTrax or Water Coaster, infitting with Mutiny Bay, although I think people are dreaming if they're expecting another Chiapas.

The only thing that worries me is that Merlin will base the whole ride around a world first or record and not focus on making a quality attraction like the flume was.

Essentially, getting a water coaster kills two birds with one stone. Meaning Towers gets a new water ride and a coaster at the same time obviously.

Not sure that'd really be fair on the family demographic. Getting rid of a family oriented ride and replacing it with something only adults/older children can ride

Not sure that'd really be fair on the family demographic. Getting rid of a family oriented ride and replacing it with something only adults/older children can ride

Aquatrax is described as Family Thrill http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amu.../Aqua+Trax/tabid/138/ProductNumber/Aqua+Trax/ so I wouldn't expect it to have a height restriction over 1.2m

Journey to Atlantis at Seaworld is a Mack water coaster and only has a height restriction of 1.05m (42 inches).
http://www.mack-rides.com/en/products/water-rides/water-coaster/wr-wc-info/wr-wc-info.html
But Poisiden at Europa is 1.2m restriction

Could we not be optimistic that something goes on the Flume site for 2017 and then the woodie that was rumoured to have a station in Forbidden Valley come in 2018?

Or am I just too optimistic :)

You're definitely not the only person who wants this :p

Doesn't have to be 2017 and 18 for me though. I'd be happy if it ever happened!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.