• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Never understood the obsession with getting on the first public ride, sure being around for the buzz of opening day is fun but waiting at the turnstiles at 6am and sprinting to the entrance just seems silly.

Th13teens opening was ridiculous, the scrum that formed was pretty dangerous.

Security often close the front gates for a few hours in the middle of the night with a van on, or at least they used to when I used to beat the traffic.
I'm sure there will be an official early bird queue on the day.
But not with me in it!

Getting to the entrance early means nothing unless you can also run fast enough to still be at the front by the time you get to the ride itself. Which at Towers is always 1) a long distance, and 2) uphill all the way.

Running to it on opening day doesn't interest me in the slightest. It's not as if we don't have another 40 or so years after opening to day to ride it.

Surely a rainy Tuesday a week or 2 after opening would be bearable wouldn't it? I'm planning on going on going then?

I remember Sub-Terra's opening day. Thousands of people queueing all the way through Forbidden Valley.

So naturally I ignored the queue and just rode Nemesis and Air a dozen times. Came back later when there was no queue at all :p

Only problem was the guy standing outside the entrance ranting about how bad it was, while telling the whole queue what happens... Let's hope no one from here becomes that guy!

How was he telling the whole queue what happened if there was no queue at all!!??

Is this the first photo of the train (pic taken by Attraction Images https://www.facebook.com/attractionimages1/ ) and other aerial shots

5pJDolz.jpg

U23KRXn.jpg

BCcjBWB.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't any staff/actors ask him to stop?
Not that I recall, but in fairness he was gone by the time I got out. I also suspect the staff had been having a rough time all day given the ride clearly wasn't finished. Not that Wicker Man will have that problem.

TT @ 15 event video has become available as of yesterday. There is a 5 minute segment where John Wardley discusses the Wicker Man project and his involvement. To summarise the key points of the video:

• John was not originally part of the Wicker Man project however after lunch with the AT Divisional Director, they decided that omitting John from any involvement in the development would be "oversight". This took place in August of 2016.
  • After joining the project team in an advisory role he wrote a report. This concluded that Great Coasters International had done a good design in response to the brief Merlin provided them with
  • This was subject to one reservation: the profile of the track was poor however the layout itself was good in general. The first 2 drops, he said, were "absolutely atrocious"
  • John since remedied this on No Limits and both Merlin and Great Coasters International reluctantly agreed the re-worked drop was much better
  • Other areas of the track should and could have been "improved enormously", however due to the foundations of some areas already having been set, it was not possible to remedy this aspect, which was disappointing
  • John says that this will be a "good and fun ride", however will not be a "John Wardley Ride"
  • The theming is "tremendous" and will include a variety of special effects
  • John will not form any part of promotion or PR for the ride either.
The video can be found below from 5:00 onwards.

:)

Last edited:
His comments on the theming are the most exciting thing, especially in the context that he was hardly unwilling to criticise other areas of the ride!

In one of the press releases one of the guys said that “burning embers” will light the way of the track. Makes it seem like there will be lights under the track in those tunnels

John doesn't sound overly impressed with the Coaster layout then........

Not only did they not use all of the space left by the removal of the Flume (for reasons already discussed), but it seems that Wardley isn't most impressed with what they did with the limited space.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.